Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

digital redundant gear for travel

Started by chrisg ·

  • 21Posts
  • 21Replies

Read-only discussion

digital redundant gear for travel

21 posts
  1. So say you're going to some malaria-infested remote paradise for the purpose of underwater picture taking with this new fangled digital camera gear.

     

    What should you take extras of? I purchased my d60s with an extra battery each to deal with that issue, and since I have 2, I have an extra battery charger.

    Anyone know how rugged these battery chargers are in the presence of fluctuating voltages etc?

     

    Would you take an extra CF card? I'm planning on buying one of those battery powered portable hard disk storage units to dump the CF cards to after each dive day, but even that worries me - if that flakes out, I'm not only going to lose the pictues I have dumped to it, but also the ability to store any more.

  2. Chris, whatever you have one of....double it up. In terms of digital food I take about 4 or 5 for use & backup, even though I download to laptop every dive day. The charger issue is worth further ivestigation. Check the voltage of your destination & compare it with your charger. If necessary contact the supplier asking for advice. You may have to buy an additional power device that converts accordingly.

     

    Mark

     

    PS remember batteries & more batteries/storage & more storage.

  3. Some chargers are quite sensitive to wall power, particularly the AA chargers. I've had failures of basically everything including those. I think the only sound advice is to carry backups for everything you can reasonably afford to.

  4. Think "surge protector". With all the chargers you can end up with, it's good to have a few extra outlets.

     

    Technically, you should have 2 D60s as well, but since that's beyond the possibilities of most mortals (ok, just non-pros). I would also bring at least 2 CF card, preferably more if you can. I have 2 512 MB cards, and 1 128 MB. The charger should be ok in most areas since it handles 100-240 volts, but checking isn't a bad idea.

  5. Surge protectors won't really do anything for a rechargeable battery. Rechargeable batteries are very durable and resiliant and will be the least of your worries. Bring 3...they are cheap. and bring several flash cards. I always bring a laptop with a burner and after downloading the days shots to my laptop I burn a backup copy.

  6. Maybe surge protectors won't do much for batteries, but the laptop I carry certainly likes consistent voltage with minimal spiking... :)

  7. Good point! I use a solar recharger. Spike free....and where I like to dive the sun is plentiful...not to mention it comes in handy when the island generators stop working.

  8. I carry two D60 bodies, four batteries, one extra strobe (may have to make that two, now!), and an X's drive, in case my notebook dies.

     

    My buddy tried to rig up a solar charger for his Canon 1D, and it destroyed the battery. :)

  9. My older Maha chargers were vulnerable to supply voltage fluctuations. I switched to an EOS universal supply and fixed the problems. Before that they would terminate prematurely and frequently require power cycles (at least in KBR). A surge protector won't fix this problem. You never really know how good these devices are until you travel with them and have to use them with generators.

     

    They now offer a universal supply that you pay extra for. I have them but haven't used them at 220V yet.

     

    I'm with Eric on the redundancy. I carry extra cameras and sometimes spare housings. I even take two computers. I've never had a computer problem caused by power, though.

  10. I think "rigged" a solar charger is the key word here. I have had no problem with solar chargers. 2 computers is a bit of overkill don't you think...especially if you are doing a bit of rough travel.

  11. Actually, one is a big honker for video editing and the other is a Fujitsu P2000 that doubles as my DVD player on planes. It adds about 4 pounds of travel weight but serves as my "X-drive". Besides, I'm all about overkill!

  12. Actually, one is a big honker for video editing and the other is a Fujitsu P2000 that doubles as my DVD player on planes.  It adds about 4 pounds of travel weight but serves as my "X-drive".  Besides, I'm all about overkill!

    I just sold my 2.1lb Panasonic notebook (the little one).

     

    Hmmm.

     

    I think I've scrounged enough funds from selling stuff to get a 1Ds.

     

    please stop me! :)

  13. ha ha...I would love to see all your gear packed up! I bring a Mac G4 Powerbook....because you know with OSX Macs never die! I am actually buying a G$ powerbook with the 12 inch screen...only 4 pounds and an ipod 20 GB....Allows me to have my music and a backup drive for under 5 pounds and packs into my LowePro soft backpack with housing, strobes, solar charger, 4 lenses and 4 ports. A nice tidy package. Now if I only could get the SCUBA gear into a nice tidy package.

  14. You know what, I've got a secret.

     

    The D100 and S2 are based on the Nikon N80 film camera. The D60 is based on the canon Whateveritscalled film camera. If your DSLR dies, you can always use the corresponding film camera in your housing. Trust me on this one.

     

    I know it's kinda scary to say the "f" word - but there.....I did it!

     

    Hasn't anyone else thought about this???

     

    Cheers

    James

  15. wow...i did not know that! Is that true? I have an N80...and "TWO" D100's just in case one died. If thats the case I am selling the other D100 and going on a $2000 shopping spree. Can't wait to get home and see if it really works.

     

    :)

  16. The camera mounting tray is different. If you're an engineer, you can probably rig something up...

  17. is this just for the ikelite that you have or the sea and sea as well?

  18. You know what, I've got a secret.

     

    The D100 and S2 are based on the Nikon N80 film camera.  The D60 is based on the canon Whateveritscalled film camera.  If your DSLR dies, you can always use the corresponding film camera in your housing.  Trust me on this one.

     

    I know it's kinda scary to say the "f" word - but there.....I did it!

     

    Hasn't anyone else thought about this???

     

    Cheers

    James

    The D60 can be replaced with an old Canon EOS 10, I believe. I can't remember which one it was that Watt shoved into his UK Germany housing, but it worked with some housing modifications. It won't work out-of-the-box. :)

  19. I don't know about the Sea and Sea housing. Hmm...I think they need to send me one for testing.

     

    Cheers

    James

  20. the "f" word??? Don't let Bob see that! Too late.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.