I used to be an advertising photographer in the last Century. We would work for days on one subject to make what was in front of the camera perfect and then I would press the tit and record the moment. That was what I was paid for. Retouching was expensive and reserved for no-hope cases - a last resort.
Then I retired to go diving and take snaps of what I saw. They were simply shot-from-the-hip as a record of an event. I had little input into how the event panned out.
Then we went digital. We learned about Photoshop and started to retouch away all those annoying grolleys that were in the water. Then mooring lines and divers inconveniently placed magically disappeared. With the skills so practised, I am now able to go back to the 500,000 snaps (no exaggeration) I have in filing cabinets and resurrect any that I care to. Shots that were rejected can now be altered and made as perfect as the new ones I gather digitally. Some people even rearrange the fishes to neaten up a school! Or line up mantas in a neat row! (I hasten to add that this is no reflection on the SUPERB photography skills of any member of this forum who lives in Yap and hails from BC!)
Art directors like this. I have just supplied 420 plus pictures for a book all retouched in this way. They look very clean when the originals might have not been so immaculate.
However, this does mean that all my pictures are getting stylized (just like everyone else's). I fear that they no longer represent the truth. I am not talking about exhibition or competition pictures. I am talking about the pictures that go into Diving magazines. Are they misleading in their new-found perfection?
What do you think? Is this new digital art misrepresenting reality? The camera never used to lie!
