I agree and disagree with Alex. As he slightly admits, getting rid of pro shooters was, I assume, light heaerted. It is the prod who know how to best represent the marine environment, and generally speaking this is not through trickery. They know how to choose the lens, compose and light the image. Alex, you said it yourself, your friend sometimes could not believe that these images were real, but they were. I think it's angolob that lens choice fools the viewer (in terms of advertising) into a false reality. However, where I DO AGREE is something like a 105mm macro with a 2x converter with a 4T diopter setup. About the only people who know about this are serious photographers and we also know that if you snap a winner the lay diver will say, huh? What's that? I never saw that! And rightfully true. The purpose, usually, for a pro to shoot is to get the nicest shot under the existing condition....and you are right....most pros can do that. But I don't think that is misleading unless the shot is a once in a lifetime occurrence of a whale shark eating a hammer head who is eating a tuna who is hooked to a fishing line. Then advertisers might plop that image into their ad (without any form of disclaimer) and to me that is where we start crossing the line. ![]()
This is fantasy, of course ![]()
If we consider your logic, then we might as well consider the quality of sensor, the strobe (and color temp), lens, WB, etc. and that is, for sake of this particular discussion, not a factor per se`, at least in my opinion.
Your book cover (very cool BTW) is art. In my book, all images are reality and in fact nothing in it has ever seen PS.
Yea yea, it's all film and I can tell you, with digital I have gotten a lot better pics and have some fantastic stuff that will replace a lot of the existing images when I do my revision. Why, I want the readers to live vicariously through my work and I want to represent the best visual management I can when I revise. That doesn't mean I am misleading anyone, it means I am taking out the 70's porn and putting in last week's Playboy shoot
This is all my opinion, of course, but I suppose it's my length of time in this industry (it'll be 30 years in Aug 08).
off to work.
jb