YES
80gig of electronic RAW storage at long last!!!!!!!
Hi Nige,
Where did you get yours from in the end?
Martyn
PS I think John's figuring you'd want an optical glass fruit bowl too. ![]()
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Started by Nige Wade ·
Read-only discussion
YES
80gig of electronic RAW storage at long last!!!!!!!
Hi Nige,
Where did you get yours from in the end?
Martyn
PS I think John's figuring you'd want an optical glass fruit bowl too. ![]()
And now that you finally got it, you should also check out the Vosonic alternative. Same functions and performance, but half the price ![]()
So, Vosonic are doing a ruggedised PSD (Photo Storage Device) with a high brightness 640x480 screen and USB On-The-Go so that you can run a second line backup without needing a laptop? If they are (an those are features that I need) I'd be very interested to hear about it. The Jobo is actually much more tailored to serious photography usage than a quick glance at the spec sheet might show. The card copy speed is very high for a PSD, largely because it's got a respectable spec CPU in it.
Vosonic certainly helped pioneer the PSD market, but they've concentrated more on the "video player with card slots", rather than the "serious photo storage that happens to play video". The Jobo is more expensive, but it's been designed with photographers in mind, rather than as a generic entertainment device.
Pay money, take pick.
Martyn
You should check this out:
http://www.vosonic.com/index.php?PA=produc...&kind_id=12
The player does offer a host of functions that photographers wouldn't need, but it does copy images fast from cards, displays RAW images complete with histogram and EXIF data, and even allows you to rotate and zoom RAW files, which a lot of players don't do. On top of that, the HD is upgradeable, even though it would take a pretty long trip to fill 120GB!
One of my frustrations with the Epson is that one cannot read a card to the Epson and an attached computer at the same time; or at least I have not been able to. This means I have to read the card to the device, then download to the computer to work in the editor of choice, transfer to Aperture or Photomechanic etc. This is really a pain and takes twice as long. Anyone have any info on how this can be done, and whether any of the other devices will allow simultaneous download to the PC and the device?
Anyone know the price on the Vosonic? Epson royally rips off Canadians, the Jobo is virtually unavailable, so ordering offshore gets more appealing by the day.
Cheers,
Marli
I checked the specs on the Vosonic. It has a 320x240 screen. That's half the resolution of the Jobo and Epson.
For any Canon shooters, they have one now too.
The Jobo's cost $500 to $900. I think that's too much. I use an IBM Thinkpad X-series. They're readily available on eBay and they weigh under 3lbs. FYI I paid $300 for mine.
Anyone know the price on the Vosonic? Epson royally rips off Canadians, the Jobo is virtually unavailable, so ordering offshore gets more appealing by the day.
Cheers,
Marli
The Vosonic player with an 80GB drive sells for under US$300 here...
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.