I just wanted to thank all you dial-up users (like Bob) who still come here. It must be slooooowww to browse such an image-intensive site!
(I just sent 10MB worth of images to Bob through e-mail) ![]()
- 32Posts
- 32Replies
Read-only discussion
Dial-up users
-
-
Some of us live in the boonies and don't have a choice or at least an acceptable choice. SBC says they don't want to spend the dough for DSL hardware and then have MCI or another undercut them using SBC's facilities. According to a few friends the sattelite uplinks aren't what they are advertised and are very expensive initially. You just learn to live with it.
-
We still operate on old fencing materials here and a hefty download like that has dramatic effects on the feet of roosting birds. It arrived ok but I will no doubt have my roof and car redecorated by the the birds and their alies very large fruit bats in retaliation!
... I really should go to bed now!
-
I have had limited success with sattelite, very slow and almost impossible to browse something like Yahoo.
-
wow. those views are incredible! i could show you a photo of the folks across the street playing pool, or eating, or cooking...
i live in a house on a 25' wide lot.

-
Bob,
I'll trade Ya! (Doubt the wifey would go for it) First time using the Panarama feature.

-
This is turning out to be a 'my view is better than yours' post....LOL I'll have to dig out some of those old holiday snaps & say I live there!!
Scotty, that is some property you have there. Where about is this exactly?
Eric, with regards the dial up its not actually that bad. My 56 dial up at home is a lot slower than work which is networked and twice as quick, although its not that slow. I think keeping posted images down to 65k helps tremendously.
Mark
-
Scotty,
If it's so damn flat what were you standing on to take the picture... Or was it taken from space?
I prefer a warmer view - No swaps!!!
-
Oh, I'm sure it's plenty warm where Scotty lives. Hill Country of Texas!
Cheers
James
-
I trust they are not shark fishing there Bob!!
-
Here's a hill country picture a little closer to that water. Thought I'd get into the view contest.

Taken with a fisheye, too.
-
Bob, I could glamorize it a bit and tell you that I was hang gliding or took it from an ultralite, but that would be false. It was done by a specialty service that does aerial photos. I assume yours was taken from your lanai.
Considering the diversity of the members on this forum, it would be nice to see more personal photos of their abode or special interest or other hobbies.
-
Hey Craig, I forgot that you are an Austinite. What a beautiful deck. Where are you on Lake Travis?
-
Yes, Straight off the front porch - Every morning I think I must have died in the night and awoke in heaven... Then I see the washing up!
Even our cows are adept at jungle survival
-
North shore almost due east of Carlos 'n Charlies.
-
Isn't that in Cozumel? :-)
Cheers
James
-
Considering the diversity of the members on this forum, it would be nice to see more personal photos of their abode or special interest or other hobbies.
Since you asked. Our humble abode in sunny Leics, UK. No water I'm afraid but plenty of straw.
Please excuse the attire!
Mark
-
We are in the process of building a new home no pics yet but here is a hobby picture from my last trip to Moab.
Just past the signs that mention how people have died here. The Colorado river is below.
-
Ok. Other interests. Weather photography, esp severe. Here's one from my trip to Tornado Alley, Great Plains USA last May.
Mark
-
Can't think of an interesting photo from my apartment, but here's what I do on about 1/2 the winter weekends.