Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Galapago's on BBC..

Started by DeanB ·

  • 38Posts
  • 38Replies

Read-only discussion

Galapago's on BBC..

38 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    Just watched the first prog about the Galapago's islands the BBC2 last night..WOW !!!

     

    Those buggers keep pushing the goal posts.. <_<

     

    I think alot of the U/W stuff was filmed with the Z1.. This was when I was told about the timecode probs which I spoke to Drew about.. If it helped, we still haven't got a 'thanks' mate.. :)

     

    Anyway, keep your eyes peeled, its a beauty.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  2. hey...

     

    i don't have tv...

  3. I have to say Tilda did a great job on the narration, even if the writing was a bit overboard.

     

    Don't worry Mike, there were no women on the show, just Tilda Swinton's voice. :)

    Edited by scubadru
  4. but did she have a mouth full of betel nut? if not, i wouldn't understand her....

     

    who is Tilda Swinton?!?!?

  5. Plays scary women like the witch in Narnia and the camp leader in the Beach.

     

    Any idea who shot it and what housings they were using?

  6. hahhaah NIck....

     

     

    could i interest you in a Nikon D200? or D80? or maybe that new D60.....

     

    :):P

  7. Yes, me and my A1 in a shopping bag... :)

     

    I thought she was the wrong choice.. Okay shes a great actress (over emotional in much of the narrative) but it didn't quite click with me.

     

    She also played Arch angel Gabriel in 'CONSTANTINE' very good in that as well.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. i haven't seen a single one of those movies...

     

    when i say i don't have tv, i mean i don't physically own a boxy electronic thingy majiggy....

  9. Constantine was a great film...

     

    Don't you have t.v's in the rooms in Yap hotels..I'm sure there was and a video hire shop (or was that Chuuk) Just nip off to some girls room ask her politely to put something hot and thrilling on, then jump on the bed and away you go.

     

    T.V a go, go...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  10. ha... we have tvs in the rooms.. and video shops....

     

    i won't mention the clientelle, thats off limits... :)

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  11. Plays scary women like the witch in Narnia and the camp leader in the Beach.

     

    Any idea who shot it and what housings they were using?

     

    I know that they were shooting Arri Super16 high speed for the bird sequences and F750 and 900s for much of the u/w stuff as well.

     

    I liked Tilda's "OMG it's a boobie diving!" voice. But the writing was a bit over the board (I didn't say that, JIC anyone from the Beebs is reading this). Sometimes I like the cinematography to show the beauty and the narrator to shut up! The old man David was great at that.

  12. Hey Folks,

    How does one in the US get a copy of this show? Any summary of the show's theme? (conservation, crisis, beauty, etc)

    shawn

  13. I can't wait to see this!

     

    I saw some of the demo footage when I met Paul Stewart in PNG, and then had the great fortune of hanging out with both him and Richard Wollocombe in Galapagos last year. They were looking for people to be in the production as "actors," but... there was no role for an Asian guy. :)

  14. Shot down by the white man again, eh Eric? Well there's always you playing the "marauding" japanese guy. But it seems koreans and chinese play the japanese girls all the time, whereas japanese men play themselves and philipinos play native americans. :)

     

    Shawn it was just released in the UK this last week. It should be on Discovery late fall, or so I was told.

    Edited by scubadru
  15. i will keep my eyes open for it. why does the UK get all the cool UW flicks first?

  16. Because we make them? :)

     

    You guys need to introduce a TV licence fee! Then you too can splash it on some $$$ projects.

  17. Nick, well to be fair, BBC and discovery programming buy programs from each other all the time, they also co produce some of them. Natgeo does do some nice programs but the NHUBBC does seem to have the dibs on the big natural history works, probably buoyed by the success of Blue Planet and now Planet Earth. Discovery tends to do more things like American Chopper :) .Seriously this reality TV stuff has gone way overboard.

    Edited by scubadru
  18. It has always been hard to see Howard Hall's superb films here in the UK (I remember having one of his on VHS tape when I was a kid - which I think wore out from over watching). I was always scanning the TV listings for another film by the same person - and struggled to find one. So we don't always have it best when it come to UW Natural History programming.

     

    Alex

  19. Well don't forget that Planet Earth "Part Deux" begins broadcast in the UK in Nov. It includes Ocean deep,Ocean wide and Shallow Seas. If Blue Planet dropped your jaw, you'll wet yourself with those 2 episodes alone. :)

    Edited by scubadru
  20. Not sure about jaw dropping, but certainly eyelid dropping. Sacrilege as it is top admit as a Brit underwater photographer, but the Blue Planet was boring. All the sequences were amazing in themselves (some of the very best ever), but the narrative (not the narration) was dull. As everyone said their favourite bit was the Making Waves bit on how the Blue Planet was made - in other words the main documentary failed to captivate (I know so many people who own the Blue Planet on DVD and many have never even taken the cellophane off the box).

     

    I very much prefered the film version: Deep Blue. Which I thought got the balance spot on. Unfortunately when I went to the premiere in Leicester Square (London) I drank too much free alcohol before hand - and my enjoyment was hampered by having to sit through 90 mnutes of sloshing water sound effects while not being able to walk out to the toilet as I was sitting across the aisle from the director Alastair Fothergill.

     

    I think that Planet Earth is much better than Blue Planet, and Peter Scoones told me that they were planning a movie version of Planet Earth too.

     

    Alex (suddenly a self-appointed movie critic).

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.