Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Galapago's on BBC..

Started by DeanB ·

  • 38Posts
  • 38Replies

Read-only discussion

Galapago's on BBC..

38 posts
  1. Alex

    You are certainly correct in criticizing what many documentaries are guilty of, all shots and no story. Deep Blue had a bit of luck by having even more stunning shots that weren't available when Blue Planet was made.

    However, I'll have to say that Blue Planet did more for u/w natural history filmmaking than any other series besides that of Cousteau's films from the 50s and 60s. Sure IMAX films have the wow factor, but I find most of them fluffy myself, especially Galapagos and Coral Sea.

    I think the problem isn't the docos or films but viewers like myself, who want a certain something to keep my interest, if we don't get it, it's boring. Definitely NOT more discerning but certainly harder to please.

    If you ever have time to go to Poitier in France. Try the magic carpet ride with "Voyager du Ciel et de la Mer". With a ride like that, I really could give a crap about storyline. But that's a rare thing. :)

    Of course the other problem is that the script sometimes is perfect but they couldn't get the shot. That Baikal shot of the seal took 3 weeks. They just couldn't get it close enough to get more decent shots. A lot of times in these sort of locations, the idea is many times better than the actual result. But sometimes you get the March of the Penguins, a humanized doco. I loved the cinematography and behavior but disliked the boring emotional violin scenes.

    There's another movie coming out in 2008. I'm not allowed to talk to much about it but it is online now. The same director and producer of Le Peuple Migrateur are shooting a film called Oceans. And I'll just say that the shots look awesome. :(

    Edited by scubadru
  2. i haven't seen a single one of those movies...

     

    when i say i don't have tv, i mean i don't physically own a boxy electronic thingy majiggy....

     

    Dont worry Mike you can download all your TV over the internet now....

     

    Erm ooopps sorry!! :)

  3. I thought that the first episode of Galapogos was an absolutely stunning piece of work and the best bit about it is that there are 4 more episodes to come! (at least I think so?). I'm pretty sure that I saw on the credits that it was a joint production with Discovery so it should be coming to a satelite network near you soon I guess.

     

    Blue Planet and Planet Earth were also joint productions with US and Japanese stations but from what I gather the edited shows for Johnny Foreigner were very different and nothing like the BBC version.

     

    Alex I can't believe anyone would slam Blue Planet ?!! I mean wow sacrilege!!

     

    Cheers, Simon

  4. Simon

    Alex didn't slam the narrator, Sir David, but the narration, so he was slamming the writer and director Ali Fothergill. So no sacrilege committed.:)

    NHK is a big producer of these epic series. Incredibly, the japanese really do love nature. They just enjoy eating it all up too.

    The japanese version of Blue Planet was exactly the same as the US cut(at least on DVD). The narration wasn't Sir D (doubt his japanese is that good). I have the US and UK DVD versions of Blue Planet, haven't viewed them back to back but they should be the same. I'll find out for ya.

    Btw the film version of Planet Earth is called "Earth" or so they plan.

    Edited by scubadru
  5. Dont worry Mike you can download all your TV over the internet now....

     

    Erm ooopps sorry!! :)

     

     

    ya.. these silly things keep interupting my sat connection.. can't even go out for a nice snorkel without them getting in the way.... :(^_^

     

    Yap03404MV.jpg

  6. LOL Mike I guess I wouldn't be watching that much TV either!! :(

     

    Drew I've heard in the past that the US and UK versions of Blue Planet were very different (UK was 5DVD's US 3DVD's?). If you ever get the chance to check it out it then I can either thank you for confirming that I didn't just make it all up in my head, or bow my head in sorrow and shame for spreading false and malicious romours! :)

     

    Cheers, Simon

  7. How dare you...

     

    Everything the BBC NHU have ever done is a masterpiece, an innovative stroke of pure genius thats sets the standard in wildlife filmmaking worldwide..

     

    Giss a job :( please..pretty please..

     

    Oh come on..Or its another 'EMI / Beatles mistake'... I'm telling ya.. :)

     

    (you did say they browse this site, Drew)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. LOL Mike I guess I wouldn't be watching that much TV either!! :(

     

    Drew I've heard in the past that the US and UK versions of Blue Planet were very different (UK was 5DVD's US 3DVD's?). If you ever get the chance to check it out it then I can either thank you for confirming that I didn't just make it all up in my head, or bow my head in sorrow and shame for spreading false and malicious romours! :)

     

    Cheers, Simon

     

    Simon, I have the Blue Planet Special Edition which is 4 DVD. That was from the UK, a gift from a friend. 3 DVDs the same as the US version but the 4th DVD has extra non-Blue Planet stuff with 3 programs :The Abyss, Dive To Shark Volcano & Amazon Abyss.

    I haven't got time to waitch 9 hrs of TV to prove you right or wrong though. I've used it for movie night too many times. ^_^

     

    Dean,

    the wrong people from the Beebs read this forum.

    Edited by scubadru
  9. Mike

    that image was cruel...way to remind us that you are half manta and half human after all your time in the water with them. if i were you, i wouldn't bother with the internet and start using sonar instead to communicate over long distances.LOL

    Shawn

     

    Hey,

    Where can one buy an NTSC copy of the Planet Earth Series in the US?

    Shawn

  10. Hehehe maybe his sonar internet connection will be faster than the sat. :)

     

    I believe the Planet Earth (first 5 episodes) DVD will be available in Nov after the airing of Part Deux. Then there'll be the the 2nd batch of 5 episodes. Then the complete version, then the extend special DVD version then the 4 DVD collector's set. Opps that's like LOTR trilogy. :(

  11. Hey,

    Where can one buy an NTSC copy of the Planet Earth Series in the US?

    Shawn

     

    Shawn you can order it from Amazon here:

     

    Planet Earth NTSC DVD set from Amazon

     

    Nick

  12. Nick that's the wrong Planet Earth. The one we've been talking about isn't out til Nov this year.

    The one you linked is from 1995. :)

    Edited by scubadru
  13. Oops. Sorry. They need to think of some new names.

  14. Having just seen the first episode of the second part of Planet Earth - I have to say big improvement. I really think that they have improved the story telling aspect of the show. Great stuff.

     

    Alex

  15. Wait for the Humpbacks in Tonga..

     

    Saw a clip at the Peter Scoones seminar and it was BLEEDING awesome...

     

    The sequence I helped on is in the 'Jungles' part I think..I'll let you know soon.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  16. A credit on Planet Earth Deano?!! Oooooo v.cool, congrats!!

     

    Cheers, Simon

  17. Hold on there Mr spear..

     

    I don't think I'll get a mention on the credits.. :guiness: Though it would have been nice.

     

    I was just a lackey helping on a set...The main man is a Mr Tim Shepherd hes one (if not thee) best timelapse shooters in the Beebs crew... Just three of us...Tim, Phil Ball 2nd camera/field assistant..And little old me.

     

    It's the part where a tree falls down in the jungle (slow mo) and timelapsed plants growing up all around it from the sudden inlet of light from the canopy...

     

    Still not a bad start for my first PAID job..

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(planet girth)B

  18. Nah.. No credit..But neither did Phil who was Tims main man..Strange...

     

    If the BBC were like the Hollywood films with a huge list of credits I would have been there (one day my friends, one day)...The scene looked great, but short, considering it took weeks of planning and shooting it only lasted one or two mins...

     

    Story of my life..

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(Borneo scene)B

    Edited by DeanB
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.