Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lens adapter for WP-DC90

Started by auder ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens adapter for WP-DC90

22 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    Here is a solution using the Sea&Sea multi stay base:

     

    wetpixel001rr1.jpg

     

    wetpixel0012bg0.jpg

     

    wetpixel0013kf5.jpg

     

    But I not recommend... There is no real coverage gain in wide-angle (because the vignette), it's probably will work just with macro 2T lens :)

     

    Best regards,

     

    Auder Machado Vieira Lisboa

    UW amateur photographer from Brazil

  2. Hi and thanks for posting,

     

    In order to eliminate the vignette, you need to place the converter lens closer to the tip of the camera lens.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Hi and thanks for posting,

     

    In order to eliminate the vignette, you need to place the converter lens closer to the tip of the camera lens.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    Due to the physical lens design of this camera, wide angle converters can not be used.

     

    The lens is at its 35mm position when fully retracted into the camera, and extends when zoomed to telephoto, making wide angle converters incompatible.

  4. Exactly, Ryan. Although, I found a solution (I hope so!).

    I'll cut the original flat port and glue a glass plate as near as possible the lens at (35mm) :D

    Yes, I'm crazy, I'll lose the zoom, but... I love this camera, and I really need a wide-angle!

    I'll come back with news, ok?

    regards

  5. Exactly, Ryan. Although, I found a solution (I hope so!).

    I'll cut the original flat port and glue a glass plate as near as possible the lens at (35mm) :D

    Yes, I'm crazy, I'll lose the zoom, but... I love this camera, and I really need a wide-angle!

    I'll come back with news, ok?

    regards

     

     

    That will work, as long as it is waterproof! Good luck!

     

    I've encouraged Ikelite to use a similar solution for the G7. A "wide angle port" which accepted the wide angle converter lens, and a "zoom port" that allows full zoom through.

  6. Hi all,

     

    As promised, here is the sequence of the modification:

     

    wpdc90001zd7.jpg

     

    wpdc90005sh5.jpg

     

    wpdc90007fo7.jpg

     

    wpdc90017apk9.jpg

     

    wpdc90018aia7.jpg

     

    wpdc90020ah3.jpg

     

    Now the wide angle coverage is fantastic with 16mm Sea&Sea lens! And I have 2x optical zoom yet.

     

    I'll do the water proof test next week, bring some images underwater later :D

     

    sds,

    Auder

  7. Necessity is the mother of invention..haha. nice work.

  8. What did you use to fix the glass to the port? It looks like clear silicone or glue.

     

    Most ports use some form of mechanical restraint to hold the front element (screws, clamps, etc.), in addition to a sealing/waterproofing system (silicone, gaskets, etc.).

     

    Let us know how the water-tightness test goes...

  9. Yes, I used clear silicone.

    With regard to mechanical restraint, I think the silicone executes this function (like we glue the glasses of a aquarium)...

  10. Hi all,

    As I promised, I bring some news.

    I've tested this adaptation, it works pretty well!

    I did dive around 65' (20m) without problems, just some flare (I am resolving this problem :wacko: )

    Thank you guyes!

  11. Hi!

     

    Finally, the result is here

     

    (A620 pictures with and without 16mm lens)

  12. Hi all,

     

    One year later, I have some news :o

     

    I'm still using this kit, but with Inon lenses now (in the picture, UFL-165AD fisheye).

     

    Only a recommendation: don't put a glass port, put a acrylic port. The glass port condenses some water on the internal surface.

     

    Just one more and important thing... Make the cut carefully. I used a blade like this:

     

     

    dsc0172tratadacr2.jpg

     

    Fix the distance between the Canon lens and the Inon fisheye... There is no vignetting :P

     

    I'll put some pictures taken with the new set, as soon as possible :)

     

    Regards from Brazil,

    Auder Lisboa

  13. This guy is an ANIMAL!!! right on! I am currently trying to figuure a way to mount

    a wide angle lens on a UNHOUSED Oly 770SW..........

  14. Sorry I forgot to ask what "lens adapter" system that is?? or what system did it start out as?.... How critical is position/tilt?..... THANX

  15. Hi,

     

    "what "lens adapter" system that is??"

     

    The lens adapter is manufactured by Ricardo Prudencio, a mechanical engineer from Brazil:

    http://www.pbase.com/ricadiver/bases_e_out...as&page=all

     

    "How critical is position/tilt?"

     

    I did not understand the question!

  16. Auder, you are the greatest.

     

    I just get my wp-dc16 for may A720 and I was trying to figure out how to mount my sea&sea 16 mm WA in this setup. Now I know that there is solution.

     

    I have a question for you, did you try to take some shots with the full zoom before to cut your housing? Do you have some samples?

    How much was the vigneting before the cut?

     

    Luis.

    Edited by lrossel
  17. ...did you try to take some shots with the full zoom before to cut your housing? Do you have some samples? How much was the vigneting before the cut?

     

    With wide-angle lens and the full zoom the adaptation does not make sense. It´s the same angle without the lens. Before the cut the vigneting is big, I don´t have photos, unfortunately.

     

    I have this sample:

     

    Photo whithout lens:

    http://auder.multiply.com/photos/album/39/..._e_Canon_A620#1

    Same photo, but with S&S 16mm lens and one touch in zoom button

    http://auder.multiply.com/photos/album/39/..._e_Canon_A620#2

     

    And others samples...

     

    Photos with Sea&Sea 16mm (2005-2006):

     

    http://auder.multiply.com/photos/photo/44/1

    http://auder.multiply.com/photos/photo/44/2

    http://auder.multiply.com/photos/photo/44/6

    http://auder.multiply.com/photos/photo/49/2

     

    Photos with Inon Fisheye UFL-165AD (2007):

     

    http://auder.multiply.com/photos/photo/49/1

    http://auder.multiply.com/photos/photo/48/1

     

    Regards from Brazil!

  18. Hello Auder!

    Encouraged by your project and our email exchange some half a year ago I also cut the port of my WPDC-11 for the G7.

    Below are some pictures of my project and the result. Certainly not as beautiful as yours, and a bit more work, since I did not have the nice lens adapter you have. I carved the bayonet mount out of acrylic glass and put a ring around the housing for extra support, as the fairly heavy lens is hanging from the glass parts glued to the housing. So I ended up with three layers of plastic, the extra support ring, the actual lens port, and on top, the bayonet mount.

    Not the most beautiful creation but certainly waterproof, and it works! Some 15 dives so far. However it requires zooming one or two steps to avoid vignetting (this, I heard, is also required when using Ikelite housing with short port for WA lens, at least for some lenses).

     

    IMG_5079.JPG

     

    CRW_2992.jpg

     

    IMG_2994.JPG

     

    IMG_3037.jpg

     

    Regards from Finland,

    Dag

  19. Nice job, Dagobert!

    When possible, buy the Inon fisheye. Absolutely fantastic!

    Regards, from Brazil

  20. I carved the bayonet mount out of acrylic glass and put a ring around the housing for extra support, as the fairly heavy lens is hanging from the glass parts glued to the housing. So I ended up with three layers of plastic, the extra support ring, the actual lens port, and on top, the bayonet mount.

     

    Dagobertb, it looks great. Can you show a pic of the bayonet ring you carved before attachment, and then attached but with WA lens off?

     

    What glue did you use? Will acrylic glue such as weldon work?

     

    What thichness acrylic did you use?

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.