Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

A Photo Pro in Action

Started by wagsy ·

  • 35Posts
  • 35Replies

Read-only discussion

A Photo Pro in Action

35 posts
  1. Just cutting up our Ningaloo DVD and came across this grab.

     

    Classic example of a pro in action. ;)

     

    Perfect buoyancy.

    No dangling gear

    Breathing constantly

    Professional head wear

    Perfect close buddy formation

    Perfect strobe position

    Scuba tank band secure

    Not overweighted

    Ocy located in safety triangle

     

    pro.jpg

    Edited by wagsy
  2. I can see the skill. Standing in the sand like that ususally stirrs the sand up too much and you get bad backscatter. This guy has managed to land in the sand in perfect form - thus there is no sand cloud.

     

    ;)

  3. Plus, notice the perfect strobe placement AND aiming to really nail that portrait type shot.

     

    James

  4. I swear I wasn't in Australia recently !

     

    I once had a fight break out on a boat for something like this happening .. one guy did something like this .. another guy didn't like it .. and laid off a few punches .. i say almost a fight .. the guy who got hit was about 70 so he didn't punch back.

     

    Is that seriously a macro shot going on with that strobe placement ? or does he just look closer to the reef than he is ?

  5. so now I know what it takes to go pro ! ;):P:D

     

    nice expose wagsy :)

  6. Yes it has taken me many years to perfect my special techniques and while it may not look like I am doing things the conventional way, look at the shot I acheived :P

     

    You all knew it was me didn't you? ;)

     

    fish.jpg

  7. dang... you weren't supposed to let them know i was actually in WA and not Bali.... working on our plan of world domination....

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  8. Wow, I need some training from this man. I could really get some stable video with this technique. Next dive i emulate this form 100%. BTW...do you sell a tutorial dvd (in HD of course) on the finer points of uw photography?

  9. i do.... ;)

  10. Kinda makes you wonder about the destruction caused on his other shots

  11. In fairness to this unknown photographer he may well have decided to stand for this shot because he could see that it was safe to stand on the sand.

     

    Alex

  12. Why this was happening

    Perfect buoyancy. Ok so a little bit heavey ... but the shellfish in the pocket weighed me down !

    No dangling gear No way .. you can't see the hole in the front of the wetsuit

    Breathing constantly Um it's a still photo .. i have to breath in sometime !

    Professional head wear It's a Bandana .. Hulk Hogan Wore one .. and he was a Pro .. pro wrestler

    Perfect close buddy formation Hey my Buddy is right there man ..

    Perfect strobe position Photo came out just fine thanks

    Scuba tank band secure Um some idiot put velcro on it .. everyone knows velcro doesn't work UW

    Not overweighted Hey dude I work out

    Ocy located in safety triangle Shit my buddy isn't right there ...

    Edited by Giles
  13. this is one of the funniest threads i have seen around here.

  14. Knees bent...

     

    Elbows in close to his sides....

     

    Camera Housing braced against his forehead....

     

     

    I bet ya he could take pictures on dry land too! ;):P

  15. Think you guys may be being a bit harsh, I have seen far worse happen.

     

    At least he isn't kicking the cr*p out of the coral, well not in this shot anyhow.

     

    Paul C

  16. I'm laughing so hard here. :P:):D

     

    I wonder who it is :);)

  17. That's not a camera housing...its a giant homemade ring!...its Kelly! ;)

  18. Guys, guys....that's Old School! Didn't anyone ever teach you the "cross-over" technique? You get much better stobe coverage if you take the left strobe and cross it over to the right. Light travels faster, and further, if the strobe is pointed west.

  19. Here is another pic of a professional at work.

     

    Special notice to the one handed camera operation and spare flippers! located in the safety triangle zone in case of broken fin strap / buckle. :D

     

    Also notice the super wide view goggles....

    walk.jpg

    Edited by wagsy
  20. Crikey

     

    Are there no laws in Australia relating to cruelty to dumb animals ?

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.