If you shot TTL in the film days because it worked out better for you, (i.e. use for macro and don't use it for wide angle), then it still works better for you in the digital age.
TTL is superior to manual. Like all tools, if you need to use manual to get the results you want, then use manual. Else use TTL. This of course relies on a functional TTL system.
I've been wanting to write an article on the superiority of TTL for a couple of years. Now it seems that it would be viewed in the same regards as an anti-global warming paper.
Answer the following questions:
1) Which is greater?
a- 4
b- infinity
2) Which is easier/faster to do?
a- Reaching up and changing the power settings on two strobes
b- Nothing
3) How do you adjust your exposure?
a- I change the power setting on my strobe(s)
b- I change the aperture setting
4) The eel has opened its mouth. The shrimp has started crawling across the inside of the mouth to the other side. Which of the following will have a higher probably of a great result.
a- Shoot, adjust exposure, shoot again, adjust exposure, shoot again.
b- Determine best composition, shoot, see the shrimp exit the eel's mouth
5) When shooting on land with a speedlight attached, is it set to...
a- Some form of TTL with or without FEC
b- total manual settings
6) Where is it easier to do creative lighting?
a- Underwater with a limited air supply/dive time, subject that moves and/or other photographers waiting to shoot the same subject
b- Sitting behind your desk with a mug of coffee and Photoshop on your computer and reasonably well exposed image on the screen.
There is a point to each of these questions that supports TTL versus manual, but I'll have to elaborate at a later time.
I haven't used TTL since I went digital. I miss it, but I'm not crying about it. I wouldn't change housing manufacturers just to get it. I always used it for macro. I never used it for wide angle.
The snooty, look down your nose, "I'm sooooooo much more creative now that I use manual" mantra is a bit much. If using it makes me some uncreative, worthless, "not-a-real photographer", jellyfish sucking, total loser not worthy of my DSLR, then so be it. If it becomes available to me, I'll use it.
The reality is that most shooters go on 1-3 dive trips a year. They aren't trying to become underwater Picassos. They want to get the shot when it presents itself. It's a disservice to them to discourage the use of TTL. Those who are able to dive often or have been shooting underwater for quite some time can far more easily pick up the nuances of manual strobe control than a newer shooter or one who dives less frequently.
Elaboration on the above questions later.
In the meantime, Ike, keep the TTL housings coming.