Hey ADSL 2 is here..well 8mbps anyhow.
Yep... just signed up from 150kbps to 850kbps download speeds...yeh har...
And poor Mike over there in Yap still pulling 5kbps ![]()
![]()
Whats the rest of you folks pulling...I mean your net speed... ![]()
Read-only discussion
Hey ADSL 2 is here..well 8mbps anyhow.
Yep... just signed up from 150kbps to 850kbps download speeds...yeh har...
And poor Mike over there in Yap still pulling 5kbps ![]()
![]()
Whats the rest of you folks pulling...I mean your net speed... ![]()
10 Mbps ![]()
Well...I guess only 8Mbps today...maybe a heavy load on the servers ![]()

I guess I am on the slow side of the pond, only 5Mbps...
We can't choose speeds here, they just give us full speed, I mean, it is one price one speed, fast.
I'm pulling in about 50k on my 512kpbs connection, should be upgrading shortly to a 2Mpbs connection
.
Or maybe even 5Mpbs with a competing ISP's offering.
y'all can bite me....
2.2 is what my P.C is telling me..But thats probably 2 to you boys..I like to add a little extra to my sizes.
Dive safe
DeanB
This is this morning:

This is slower than average for my ISP. I'm on cable broadband and, based on the number of open WiFi networks around the house, I'm betting I share my local node with quite a lot of people.
Anyway, it's good enough for government work ![]()
hey! my download is up to 4.7kbps....
i'm changin my name...
10 Mbps
Well...I guess only 8Mbps today...maybe a heavy load on the servers
That's impressive!. I have Comcast cable and they claim up to 6M, but the fastest I've ever seen it is just short of 5M. This afternoon it's down to 2M
Too many on this line watching Youtube.
Here is mine from today:

Matt, how do you get such high upload speeds?
Edit: Just saw you're on a .edu provider, maybe that's why...
In Amsterdam I have 20 mbit at home, with 1mbit up. That'll do
Some of our customers have 100mbit.
But...i can totally relate to Mike. In the VI, where I live 3 months out of the year, I can barely keep a 14.4 phoneline going. Last year I finally managed to get a 512kbps wifi link going to a tower 3-4 miles away. Hopefully it's still working ![]()
Ive also spent some time in Australia, and I think .au is seriously behind in internet bandwidth. I couldnt believe how expensive it was, and how little you get for it. The transit ISPs there are most certainly sucking you dry while they still can, as I cant believe for a moment that those prices are realistic. With all the fiber thats been going into the world the last 5 years, the price of bandwidth has dropped to next to nothing. Now with technology that can use even a single strand of fiber in multi color lights, doing many gigabits per second over it, there is no reason to be insane about end user prices..
Cor
Hey some fast speeds there.
Telstra our big government phone company did not want to bring in ADSL2 as they knew they would loose to many customers to other phone/ISP providers so were holding the country back but they had to in the end.
I would go as far to say the Telstra the once government own monopoly phone company will end up being not so big or even go broke as customers are leving them in droves. Typical government service, just don't care... ![]()
Yes we do get ripped of...cost us 90 bucks a month.
Matt sits upon his bandwidth throne from within a .edu connection. Curse those students!! ![]()
Comcast special 25mpbs line = $79.95 a month + tax of course. Except I don't use it except when I'm back home in LA. ![]()
the best i can get is 2mbps for $144 .. and that is shared and def not guarenteed bandwidth
the best guarenteed is 1512Kbps for $99 i normally settle for the 1Mbps at $79
wow .. we need some more competition down here .. unfortunately the competition that did set up .. just messed up by not having enough bandwidth .. and it sucks on the weekend big time .. I may as well dial up ! seriously drop from my paid for 512Kbps to 25Kbps some days.
the best i can get is 2mbps for $144 .. and that is shared and def not guarenteed bandwidth
the best guarenteed is 1512Kbps for $99 i normally settle for the 1Mbps at $79
wow .. we need some more competition down here .. unfortunately the competition that did set up .. just messed up by not having enough bandwidth .. and it sucks on the weekend big time .. I may as well dial up ! seriously drop from my paid for 512Kbps to 25Kbps some days.
Giles,
It was just like that here in Jamaica until we got some competition and the industry was deregulated.
More or less the same price range.
Rofl C&W is known region-wide for their monopolistic characteristics..... and a quick perusal of the C&W Cayman site confirms it.
Anyway re the bandwidth I think a huge bandwidth pipe is set to be completed in your end of the world in the very near future...
I think we already have it all here for the Banks ... i's just a case of them turning it on for the public.
For example .. and as you know C&W you will know all about this.
If I weant a phone turned on in the UK ..it take 5 minutes for them to flip the switch .. thats a phone line thats already hooked up and has static etc.
Over here .. if I want that same phone line .. they have to book someone to come out .. still takes him 5 minutes when he gets here .. and yes they could do it from the office .. I have asked ... but instead Ihave to wait 2 weeks to 6 months for a technician to come to my house .. then they will normally visit while I am out !!
Good times good times
Yeah it's same here in Belize, the phone company (BTL- better try later) had a legal monoply for 10 years and their idea of customer service was "what the hell do you want now!!!". The monoply ended a couple of years ago and there is now one other company now offering a cell phone service in competition with BTL.
The good news was that the ending of the monoply cleared the way for all of us out in the sticks to get direct satellite links. In the towns there is DSL but I'm not sure what speeds they get.
Today my download speed was 400k but my upload was a miserable 50k (the drawback of sat systems is this huge gap between down and up). But we have just bought the upgraded system from our ISP which should give me 128k up and a 512k down, the new modem will be here by the end of the month- whoopee. I'm not complaining though, my only other option is via analogue cellphone dial up!!!!!
Drew had to be the fastest ![]()
Speaking of phone companys, we get allot of those calls at dinner time from those not to good at speaking english telemarketers from overseas.....bloody rude if you ask me so now we just don't hang up...
One less line they can use for a few hours... ![]()
Giles WA is abit like you over there ...Wait Awhile.....
Wagsy ... dont hang up on them .. pretend to be a bigger better telemarketer that can give them more money .. so instead of them selling you .. sell them a new job .. it's hilarious.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.