Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Why are we doing what we do ?

Started by skawdiver ·

  • 25Posts
  • 25Replies

Read-only discussion

Why are we doing what we do ?

25 posts
  1. I have been wondering, why are we doing what we do ?

     

    First of all, we need to be good divers, with exceptional buoyancy control, and with more than just a basic knowledge of the diving equipment, so we can make maintenance in the field if needed. We need to have control of our gasconsumption, so we can extend our time underwater, and we need a more intuitive feeling of remaining gas, cause we might not look at the gauge as often as the average diver.

     

    If diving rebreathers we need to know about mixed gas diving, and how to setup and maintain a sophisticated machine, and then dive with it and monitor it at the same time as we operate, a complicated videocamera stuffed in a big housing with long arms and attached lights. We want to operate the camera on fully manual, so we need to know about: iris, shutterspeed, gain and white balance. But that is not enough, cause we want nice films, so we need to know about composing a nice picture, and then you got to have an idea of what will be interesting for the viewers to watch.

     

    So we venture out for several days/weeks diving in to the deep, perhaps the water is cold and the visibility is poor, but now we are here, and we want the footage. Be prepared to dive alone, cause the underwater cameraman is the worst buddy you will ever find (so they say, and I am sure they are right).

     

    Now, to edit the film, you need to know a great deal about computers, cause editing video is demanding on the hardware, so you cannot expect the "out of a box" computer to be ready to deal with the task of editing video. Then you need to learn how to use the editing software, which almost always has it's own user interface, so you end up with a feeling of searching and searching for a specific feature. Then you need to know about colo(u)r correction and filters an how they affect the film.

     

    Now you are ready to edit your film, so hopefully you have an idea of what "makes a good film", cause otherwise you will end up spending an enormous amount of time making a film, that nobody ever want to see.

     

    And when you finally is ready to output your film you need to know about the many different formats of video there is, cause otherwise nobody might be able to actually watch your film.

     

    And if you hope to be able to sell you film, be prepared to spend the same amount of time altogether "knocking doors".

     

    Oups - did I forget to mention that all of us, who do not have English as our native language, we need to be prepared for the fact, that every manual, piece of equipment and instruction will be in a different language than we speak daily.

     

    Feel free to extend the list, but please also post something to keep motivate us doing what we do.

     

    So why are we doing what we do ? B)

    Edited by skawdiver
  2. Skawdiver me old son...

     

    If you look back through the threads of yester year you will find this topic of convo has been done.. :D

     

    But anyway... I do it because I wouldn't want it anyother way..Apart from living the life of:

     

    Mr Cheng, Mr Thorpe, Mr Wong, Mr Wagsy..And..Oh go on then..Maybe Mr Veitch ;)

     

    Or maybe Ron Jeremy... B)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. [Ah, Ron Jeremy...he's still around, you know?]

     

    For myself, this underwater imaging thing just gets wilder as time goes on. Then there's the whole world of digital image communication that's just taking off like crazy (media on demand, high definition podcasting, and on it goes!) and how that can seque with our underwater imaging.

     

    It's an amazing time for underwater imaging work!

     

    Mary Lynn

  4. Judging by the last photo I saw Very, very round. ;)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  5. i need to eat....

  6. i need to eat....

    But there are so many easier ways to make a living! I think it might also have something to do with not being satisfied with ordinary challenges, but wanting to light out for the edges, or something like that.

     

    Mary Lynn

  7. Because there are too many Doctors, Lawyers, Judges, Dentists, Soldiers, Truck Drivers, Nurses, Engineers, Pilots, Stewards, Pizza Chefs, Waiters, Models, Actors, Race Drivers, Boat Captains, Taxi Cab Drivers, Vetrinarians, Office Workers, IT Consultants, Hotel Receptionists, Bar Staff, Singing Coaches, Psychologists et al out there. I'm sure as we speak there are those who are collecting their diplomas to swell the ranks of the above mentioned work forces.

     

    These people have to have some down time and I for one, being an anti social git and a non conformist, am in a much better environment personally if I can at least give these people something to watch to take their minds off the daily grind.

     

    Sure there is not a massive paycheck attached to what we do but it's for me the only way I can live. I love what I do, will do it 'til I croak........no questions, no regrets.

     

    Mark.

  8. These people have to have some down time and I for one, being an anti social git and a non conformist, am in a much better environment personally if I can at least give these people something to watch to take their minds off the daily grind.
    Good point.

     

    DeanB,

     

    Oups - sorry did not realize that the topic was covered allready.

     

    Okey, I admit it, I am frustrated about the winter, the wind has been blowing for months, and the viz in the sea is minus 5 meter :D

     

    Yeah, I know, I am suffering from a winter depression, and I thought that perhaps some of you couldt help.

     

    Thanks Mary and Mark for the positive words ;)

  9. I think we are sensitive creative artists/people... that's why we do it.

     

    Had to have the air conditioner on again today...so hot... ;)

  10. Had to have the air conditioner on again today...so hot... :blink:
    :blink:

     

    ;):D:lol:

  11. I want to know how Mary Lynn is such an expert on Ron Jeremy.;-)

    Steve B)

  12. I want to know how Mary Lynn is such an expert on Ron Jeremy.;-)

    Steve B)

     

    ;):D

  13. ;):D

     

    Umm, I read a lot?

     

    Ahem. Back on topic. We were talking about underwater imaging motivation, especially during long, cold winters... And now I can't seem to write anything without it sounding like a double-entendre... Need sun...

     

    Mary Lynn

  14. "Double Entendre" ;):D

     

    Thats rude..

     

    :lol:

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(Can't help myself)B

  15. There! You see what I mean!

     

    Oh, never mind...

     

    :)

    Edited by Mary Lynn
  16. OK, apologies to Hans for highjacking the thread....

     

    I've been thinking recently about an aspect of this forum that's really cool for me: how global it is! When it's winter in the Notherm Hem, it's summer in the South, and our imagers in Scandinavia can be in the middle of the long dark winter months and be communicating about what we do and why with folks in the middle of the hot summer season in Australia, and so it goes. There's something about this that I find very motivating...and very fascinating.

     

    Mary Lynn

  17. i live near the equator... always warm here...

     

    :) :)

     

    you would move too if you grew up in the home of rain... Vancouver

  18. What has that to do with Mary Lynn's infatuation with Ron Jeremy? B)

    Steve

  19. erm....

     

    watch a lot more movies when it is cold and raining...??

     

    :)

  20. I've been thinking recently about an aspect of this forum that's really cool for me: how global it is! When it's winter in the Notherm Hem, it's summer in the South, and our imagers in Scandinavia can be in the middle of the long dark winter months and be communicating about what we do and why with folks in the middle of the hot summer season in Australia, and so it goes. There's something about this that I find very motivating...and very fascinating.

     

    Mary Lynn

    Me too.

     

    And the fact, that I might be the only one filming "on this level" in Denmark, so I have nowhere to go for inspirations and discussions. But now I got Wetpixel and a whole bunch peoble with the same passion. :)

     

    Actually, in a way, we are all competitors, but still, we talk about everything; equiptment, techniques, pricing testing for each other and so on, that is absolutely amazing and unique, compared to any other buisness.

     

    Sure, I would love to pack my bag, and fly to Australia, or any other tropical spot, and spend the winter there, but I got a family I need to support, and a business here to run, so it is not posible at the moment, however I hope it will be someday in the future :)

    Edited by skawdiver
Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.