Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

East Bali Mooring Project

Started by shawnh ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

East Bali Mooring Project

24 posts
  1. We just received information on a great project taking place in Bali. Many of us on this forum have visited Bali and enjoyed some excellent diving. It is so refreshing to see local opeators stepping up to preserve thier environment. You can help. Contact your local Bali dive operator and enquire as to wether they are contributing to this project. If they are not, encourage them to. Read more below:

     

    ____________________________________________________________________________________

    East Bali Mooring Project

    http://www.waterworxbali.com/moorings/east...g-project.shtml

     

    In 2004 a group of volunteers installed strong mooring buoys at many of Bali's dive sites. Unfortunately most of these moorings did not last very long and are, for whatever reason, gone or badly damaged by now. On some dive sites the loose cables and sunken buoys bouncing along the ocean floor with the currents and swells are damaging the coral reefs severely and many dive boats have started to use anchors again, thus causing even more damage...

     

    David Ruland of the Water Worx Dive Center Bali has now taken action and is organizing the repair / replacement of those moorings in order to preserve Bali's precious coral reefs.

     

    It should be clear to all of Bali's Dive Operators that we depend on intact coral reefs to keep Bali's diving industry alive. So let's all work together in this project. All dive operators are happily using those moorings and everybody is responsible to maintain them.

     

    First step is fundraising:

     

    Every dive operator is asked to contribute Rp. 1,000,000 initially for the mooring project. With this we should be able to repair / replace all damaged / missing mooring buoys, possibly even install some more and to maintain the moorings for the years to come..

     

    Donations / Contributions can be made either in cash at Water Worx Dive Center Bali or via bank transfer to:

     

    Wolfgang Krutz

    Bank BCA

    KCP Radisson Sanur

    No. Rek.: 6700 111 669

     

    If you transfer money towards the mooring project please send information by SMS to David at 081338511056 or send us an e-mail

    that we can keep track of the proceedings.

     

    Second step is maintenance:

     

    If a dive operator encounters a damaged mooring, report the damage by SMS to David at 081338511056 or send us an e-mail. We will then organize repairs as soon as possible. All dive operators are welcome to actively support the mooring project by helping to repair broken moorings. Spare parts and tools for the mooring system can be picked up at Water Worx Dive Center in Padang Bai.

     

    Report damage: sms or call 081 338511056 David

     

    This web is used as a platform to get organized and to keep track on the progress of this project.

     

    Thank you for helping to make the East Bali Mooring Project a success !!

     

     

    Contributors

    Water Worx Dive Center Bali Padang Bai mobile +62(0)8133 8511 056 David

    Kapalselam Dive Club Padang Bai

    Blue Lagoon Divers Padang Bai

    Geko Dive Padang Bai

    Blue Lagoon Divers Padang Bai

    Paradise Diving Seminyak

    Absolute Diving Padang Bai

  2. You guys seem to get info before I do and I am irhgt here in Bali. Thanks for this post, I will be sending my tuppance along to help straight away!

     

    I hope there are more dievrs out there that are willing to add a buck or two to this great cause! I am sure you could send any amount, it all helps!

  3. We have our ways:) It is really great to have an excellent group of folks around the world on wetpixel...you learn so much and find things out quickly. Please do what you can to help out. Bali still has some excellent diving and very convient. let's do our job to protect it.

  4. We have our ways:) It is really great to have an excellent group of folks around the world on wetpixel...you learn so much and find things out quickly. Please do what you can to help out. Bali still has some excellent diving and very convient. let's do our job to protect it.

     

    Thanx for the support guys !!

     

    unfortunately there is not much respnse yet from the Bali dive operators...

     

    The proceedings can be followed at http://www.waterworxbali.com/moorings/fund...-expenses.shtml

     

    Cheers Wolfgang

    post-7394-1169691131_thumb.jpg

  5. I would be intested if any of the Wetpixel folks currently in Bali could check on the progress with this project. I know a lot of folks on this forum spend a good deal of time in Bali.

    Please get the word out to your local operators.

  6. I'm in contact with Helen Newman, who was the head of the original Bali Mooring Project 3 years ago. She is currently on her way to Komodo to do the same.

    This is what she said:

     

    The Bali moorings have a varied history. In some locations such as Padang

    Bai, Candi Dasa, Pemuteran and Menjangan the dive operators are doing a good

    job of maintenance ie checking shackles and replacing the buoy when

    required. The manta anchors and cable are still in good shape and nothing

    has been "stolen". In other locations I have to go back and give them some

    encouragement.

     

    The 33 of the original mooring project was sponsored by Pasquale Pascullo and D2D forum. I was also involved (including the stainless steel metal plaques which commemorate an old diving buddy of ours) in that project.

    I'll be meeting Helen this month and will discuss with her about this and also hopefully have time to go out to assess the situation.

    Edited by Drew
  7. Drew,

    that is excllent info and thanks for working on this. i am a big fan of Bali diving...let's protect this place.

    shawn

  8. Well I had time to go out to Padang Bai to access the situation and also meet up with Helen Newman. Turns out a few of the buoys were damaged by impacts from careless boats.

    The other problem was that the original fiberglass buoys were specced with closed cell foam but somehow the local manufacturer filled them with water absorbing sponge, which caused them to sink obviously.

    Helen has been talking to the Padang Bai dive ops and hopefully she can get all them to cooperate on the maintenance of the buoys for the greater good. Unfortunately, cooperation isn't a trait Bali dive operators are known for.

  9. Sorry to hear about that Drew, I know you, Helen and PP worked very hard on this. I will send $$ to help out. Did you post this over on Rodale's site? BTW, PP just won the BTS macro with a pygmy shot.

     

    All the best,

    Scott

    Edited by Scubaskeeter
  10. It's really shocking when you see the lack of donations for this project. There are so many operators and divers here in Bali and so few who have donated to this! Many talk the big talk, but give very little indeed!

  11. Let's see if we, the purchasers of dive services in Bali, can use consumer pressure to drive participation and contributions. I am talking with my local operator (who happens to be heaviliy vested in this project) and he is all go on it.

  12. Well Graham the problem is that this project organizer independently went out to raise money to replace buoys which were put on in by someone else (many of which were sponsored by companies and individuals) and not notify the original installers of such plans. Without having local "officialness", an independent project like this is not going to garner much support. In other words, why would anyone donate to another project when the original project organizer for the entire area hasn't said anything? Especially since the mooring base and chains are still functional and thus the responsibility of the original installers. As you can see, not many people support "unofficial" projects. Other buoys that have been damaged have been replaced by operators in Sanur, with equipment given from Helen. It's just common courtesy to approach the original installers, which is probably why this project has not garnered much support. However, now that Helen is talking with the operators, hopefully such arbitrary action by one operator will not be necessary and all the operators in the area like Padang Bai will contribute for the benefit of the whole community.

  13. It's really shocking when you see the lack of donations for this project. There are so many operators and divers here in Bali and so few who have donated to this! Many talk the big talk, but give very little indeed!

     

    Hello Graham, my name is pasquale, did we meet in wakatobi in 01?

    anyways, as Drew pointed out, we raised enough money to install 33 moorings on our own that one year,

    (in the name of a friend that died at that time)

    and it was a ton of work, getting people to 'walk the talk' but still, all in all, for a comminuty of divers on a web site, we did pretty good.

    I am in no way saying you said anything negative, but with enough harping, some good money raising can be done. I do find the net so powerfull. amazing how small the world is today, and how much news can travel so fast. I also find out about things in my backyard (NYC) from people overseas before I know of it.

    hope all is well

  14. Dear Drew,

     

    what are you busting our balls for for doing something positive for our environment ??

     

    You assessed things in Padang Bai ?? We did not hear or see anything of you... NATO

     

    Anyway, it is not Helen's responsibility to maintain those moorings. She (or who ever else was behind it) started something very good. Thank you so much for that !!

     

    And i also do not believe that we have to ask someone's permission to do something for our environment...

     

    But now it's time for us (the Bali dive operators) to take charge and keep this mooring project going because it is us (the Bali dive operators) that make money from the environment. It is our (the Bali dive operators) responsibility !!

     

    It is not asked to much that every Bali dive operator chips in a hundred bucks for that. It's not really a donation, we consider it rather operational cost.

     

    We are not in for the glory Drew, we only want to repair them moorings. Why don't you come over in your next assessment trip to Padang Bai and help us bending and tying some steel cables ?

     

    Best regards,

  15. Wolfgang

    Please understand I am not saying negative about your operation or its motives. I am merely stating that many of the buoys were installed by sponsors, 33 with stainless steel plaques commemorating a dive buddy of Pasquale and myself. I think that anyone replacing the buoys should contact the original installer, especially when sponsors and commemorative issues are involved. Furthermore, there were also spare equipment that was leftover from the project such as buoys and others which you could've used and saved a lot of money. As I said already, an operator in Sanur replaced 2 buoys provided by Helen in quicktime. Why spend the extra resources and waste? All it takes to possibly save 1 mil rupiah is a simple local courtesy phonecall or an email to the original installer.

    I agree it is all Bali dive operators responsibility. And I'm glad more dive operators have begun to support it, especially independent ones outside of Padang Bai.

    Edited by Drew
  16. But now it's time for us (the Bali dive operators) to take charge and keep this mooring project going because it is us (the Bali dive operators) that make money from the environment. It is our (the Bali dive operators) responsibility !!

    It is not asked to much that every Bali dive operator chips in a hundred bucks for that. It's not really a donation, we consider it rather operational cost.

    We are not in for the glory Drew, we only want to repair them moorings. Why don't you come over in your next assessment trip to Padang Bai and help us bending and tying some steel cables ?

    Best regards,

    Wolfgang, hello sir, my name is Pasquale I live in NYC. way on this side of the world.

    Good luck with your ideas and thoughts, it is a ton of work.

    maybe this could help you out or who knows, maybe not.

    I found out about the first time of fund raising for these moorings through coral reef.

    if you scan down, like drew already said, I organized some friends (D2D) from all over the world through the net, and we raised enough for 33 morrings for you guys. I wish I could have made it to install them also.

    CoralReef

    Maybe if you tell them what you are doing, I AM NOT SAYING ASKING FOR PERMISSION, but maybe they can give you more exposure to your cause. If I didn't see the info from coral, we'd have never known about it and been able to help out.

    Again, good luck on your project, you have an awesome backyard to play in, let alone trying to save it.

    ciao

    pasquale

  17. Drew, Sorry mate but I’m shocked at your comments here. I think you were being way too harsh on Wolfgang there. Come on the guy’s trying to do his best and didn't really want, or expect all this exposure. I managed to chat with him very recently about this. All he was hoping was that a few other operators, those of whom are using the moorings could add a few bucks to help him maintain them. Trust me if you talk about going down the official route he’d be there for ages going round in circles. Helen will tell you herself that she wouldn't entertain this project again, especially going down the official route. Taking a project into official status over here means government officials and the likes have to be a part of it and this just means nothing but headaches.

     

    I am all for anyone who wants to do maintenance on the moorings, no other operator gave a monkeys! So what is the big issue with a guy who is trying his best to do something to help?

     

    I really think that as you made time to go down and assess the situation in Padang Bai it would have only been common courtesy to pop in and talk with the man you are giving a hard time here. If you really expect all the operators over here to cooperate, come on you’re joking aren’t you? There a only few who give a damn and most of the others are more worried about more bookings, then there’s the ones who are more concerned with how many divers are on their competitors boats. I recently sent a mail to all the operators I could think of over here to make them aware of this project, we’ll see how many pipe up with a few bucks!

     

    Pasquale, I rarely forget a face, though I do forget names from time to time. Please remind me with more about Wakatobi in an email… I think all that this project set out to do was raise enough to repair the moorings that had been damaged. I know that if Wolfgang gets more money it will not go to waste, he will certainly make ways to repair or even install more which seems to what is needed as well!

     

    We’ve also got to realise that Helen has many other things to do. For sure, she is the best person for this job though not always here and she doesn't always have the time for this kind of ongoing work. I think we should all be over the moon that Wolfgang is doing something very positive and doing it off his own back. Good on ya!

  18. Drew, Sorry mate but I’m shocked at your comments here. I think you were being way too harsh on Wolfgang there. Come on the guy’s trying to do his best and didn't really want, or expect all this exposure. I managed to chat with him very recently about this. All he was hoping was that a few other operators, those of whom are using the moorings could add a few bucks to help him maintain them. Trust me if you talk about going down the official route he’d be there for ages going round in circles. Helen will tell you herself that she wouldn't entertain this project again, especially going down the official route. Taking a project into official status over here means government officials and the likes have to be a part of it and this just means nothing but headaches.

    I am all for anyone who wants to do maintenance on the moorings, no other operator gave a monkeys! So what is the big issue with a guy who is trying his best to do something to help?

     

    Graham, I'm shocked you're shocked :wacko:. I fully understand what Wolfgang is trying to achieve. If notifying Helen can possibly get spare equipment (as per the buoys in Sanur), and also better yet give the original sponsors an option to replace the damaged buoys with something better (thus raising more money>), it's a no lose situation. I can't see how that is being harsh.

    Well, Helen has gone from Bali to Komodo for mooring projects, so I'm sure her dedication is better than whatever local resistance there is. As you also know, her dogged perseverance is amazing. And contacting her DOES NOT mean she'd run the project. She could give out expertise, equipment, suggestions and even sponsor support. And busy as she is, she still managed to contact Wolfgang after just getting off the boat from Komodo.

    You should also look at it from the point of view of new donors. Without official support (either local balinese or some NGO like CRA or TNC), possibly donors will probably be reserved and skeptical about sending money to a dive ops (and to a personal acount, no less). I'm sure it's the same thing if some dive op in Ambon asked you to donate money for a mooring project and you've never heard of them, been there or used them. Would you send money?

    I hope this project gets the support it needs to make it successful and create a model for the rest of Bali and Indonesia.

    Edited by Drew
  19. The thing is, I don't really think big donors and support is needed for this. I think all Wolfgang set out to do is repair the moorings before boats start dropping anchors again. I also heard the old moorings were doing quite a bit of damage and they needed something to be done quickly before even more damage was caused.

     

    I think this is really up to the local operators to do, not recreational diver/tourists! It is the local operators who use these moorings and they should pay a few bucks to keep them maintained. Maybe Helen can send some news to those local operators who donated previously? I will call her now and see if she can do this?

    Edited by Graham Abbott
  20. The thing is, I don't really think big donors and support is needed for this. I think all Wolfgang set out to do is repair the moorings before boats start dropping anchors again. I also heard the old moorings were doing quite a bit of damage and they needed something to be done quickly before even more damage was caused.

     

    I think this is really up to the local operators to do, not recreational diver/tourists! It is the local operators who use these moorings and they should pay a few bucks to keep them maintained. Maybe Helen can send some news to those local operators who donated previously? I will call her now and see if she can do this?

     

    Graham, I think you didn't read all of the posts. Helen has ALREADY spoken with Wolfgang and will be dealing with it. Plus she's not in Bali riight now. Also which is quicker? Calling the original installers to see if they have spare equipment and/or even a devised plan OR organizing an entire campaign to reach out to all Bali dive ops to donate money? Sanur had 2 buoys replaced within days of the discovery of the damage. The local op got hold of Helen who sent the replacements shortly.

    I also have to say that while the maintenance of the buoys obviously should be undertaken by ALL the local dive ops, the issue of sponsored moorings comes into play. If donors gave money for a mooring to commemorate someone or something or even advertise, I think it would be nice to notify them for replacement possibilities or at least given an option. Yes Helen also made an unintentional mistake with the fiberglass sponge filled buoy that were originally specced with closed-cell foam. She was ripped off by the local vendor. Mistakes will be made and lessons should be learnt.

    Edited by Drew

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.