Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

So who won the International Photo Competitions?

Started by justin-branam ·

  • 36Posts
  • 36Replies

Read-only discussion

So who won the International Photo Competitions?

36 posts
  1. I dont know! ive been waiting all day. the contest site said they would be posted saturday night, wetpixel says by tonight, but its already 10:15PM. I knew i should have gone to Chicago. AARGGGGHHHHH! It's driving me nuts <--- (also what the pirate who had a steering wheel lodged in his pants said)

    Edited by justin-branam
  2. The wetpixel contest?

     

    Wow, that was quick. Usually these things take months.

     

    Check Dive Photo Guide i would think for the first updates

  3. i guess its safe to say you have some entries in there Justin?

     

    :lol:

  4. i guess its safe to say you have some entries in there Justin?

     

    :lol:

     

    How did you guess :P

     

    still not up yet, AAAHHHHH!

  5. Sometimes its annoying..

     

    Last year i was waiting to see if my film got anwhere in the Amateur section of the Telenatura 2006 film festival in Espana and heard nothing.

     

    So I emailed a couple of times..No reply. Then I recieved a DVD of the finalists and my film was in the top three.. I know I didn't win but, second or third..Come on I need to know...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

    Edited by DeanB
  6. The winner was Jose Alvarez with stunning photo of a juvenile lionfish.

     

    http://www.underwatercompetition.com/

     

    The DEEP Indonesia 2007 was won by Magnus Lundgren with a photo of a oceanic white tip.

     

    There are many amazing images in there and it is well worth studying all the shots in both galleries.

     

    Alex

  7. Great to see Khun Songphol Amartsingh (Thailand) in there - great guy and has one the most impressive collections of fabulous images I have seen anywhere.

     

    And Alex Wu also another great guy and a past dive buddy.

     

    Am I beating the drum for Thailand ? :lol:

    Edited by whitehead
  8. After the totally Nikon winners circle in last year's Wetpixel Int Comp, it is good to see a couple of Canon 1DS Mk2 shots in there and an Olympus in the DSLRs! You can have a scroll through the winners gallery here:

    http://www.underwatercompetition.com/img/o...jose-2-bos.html

     

    Canon cameras did dominate the compact competition, though.

     

    Alex

  9. Canon cameras did dominate the compact competition, though

     

    Yes, so was my previous (compact) camera. I was happily pleased to see that i was also in the list with a cold water picture from my home diving area: The Oosterschelde estuary... Nevertheless i turned into a Nikonian about a year ago, what probably wouldn't have happened when Tokina came out with their 10-17 mm FE one year earlier... Anyway, im sooooooooo happy that i won a prize in an international competion!!! joohoo!!!!

     

    cheers, udo

  10. After the totally Nikon winners circle in last year's Wetpixel Int Comp, it is good to see a couple of Canon 1DS Mk2 shots in there and an Olympus in the DSLRs! You can have a scroll through the winners gallery here:

    http://www.underwatercompetition.com/img/o...jose-2-bos.html

     

    Canon cameras did dominate the compact competition, though.

     

    Alex

     

    While it's interesting that you pick up on the cameras used, what really jumped out at me in terms of the DEEP Indonesia contest results, was that WA dominated and Macro stuff didn't seem to be well represented among the winners. There were a couple of obvious WA categories such as "Reefscapes" and "Divers", (not even a macro category it seems) but even in more general categories such as "animal portraits" and the presumably wide-open "Indonesia" category, WA dominated. Is macro dead? :lol::)

    Cheers.

    Michael.

    Edited by Reefwreck
  11. Congratulations to all.

    Just as they say 'Youth is Wasted on the young' they should give the prizes to the lousy photogs like myself so we can get to practice more. :lol:

  12. Congrats to all! Some great images there.. even some on FILM! :lol:

  13. Anyway, im sooooooooo happy that i won a prize in an international competion!!! joohoo!!!!

     

    Congrats Udo, thats a great photo! And congrats to my wife Julie :lol:

     

    Cor

  14. Congrats to the winners. Obviously the bar is set very high for this competition and a high degree of creativity set the winners above the pack.

     

    One thing I would change about this competition is the categories. The traditional category seems too restrictive to me. Even if a miniscule amount of backscatter removal is done to an image it must then be lumped into the unrestricted category where anything go's.

  15. Anyway, im sooooooooo happy that i won a prize in an international competion!!! joohoo!!!!

    So do I... :lol:

    see ya

    Claude

  16. Can I just say WELL DONE to all wetpix members who got awards and mentions for their shots..Fantastic.

     

    Once again the Environment and conservation catagory shots struck chords in my heart..Sad but true.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  17. Happy too

    I got two prizes !

     

    Regarding macro/WA tendencies:

    Could it be that we "have seen it all" in macro and people like to see new angles and compositions in WA?

    Personally I enjoy to make both kind of images, but I find it more chanllenging and rewarding to get a special WA photo that really places the viewer in the scene.

  18. Congratulations! I enjoyed watching it a lot.

  19. I was thrilled to find that I got an honorable mention in the DEEP compact camera category with a portrait of a Garabaldi. I guess in Indonesia, Garabaldi are considered exotic :-)

     

    It can be found at: Garabaldi Pic

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.