Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Question for Mac experts.

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 29Posts
  • 29Replies

Read-only discussion

Question for Mac experts.

29 posts
  1. A Question for Mac experts.

     

    I want to get a really good replacement desk top Mac Pro for working with CS3 (when it arrives).

     

    What spec Processor & RAM do you suggest I need?

  2. I'd say the 2.66GHz is the sweet spot in price performance, and for stills 2GB RAM is adequate and much cheaper than the 4X1GB option. However, I use an iMac (and a similarly powerful MacBook Pro), not a Desktop Pro -- so my input is less valuable than others may be able to offer. That said, I often have CS2, Aperture, NoiseNinja, and DxO open simultaneously on a 2GB iMac, and it ain't too bad.

     

    Chris in Red Stick

  3. I have a dual core 3GHZ Xeon though it is much more than one needs for CS3. It does make Aperture a dream though.

    I think a 21" or 23" iMac is more than adequate, and I am a beleiver in maxing out the RAM

  4. I would agree with the idea of loading up the RAM. While CS2/CS3 run nicely with 2GBs, Bridge is RAM hungry.. if the folder you have open has lots of images in it... and Lightroom's the same. RAM is where I put my bucks.

  5. Thanks for your input all,

    and thanks to Saeed who answered me by e-mail.

    I understand that there will be a new Mac Pro in the UK any day now (in time for CS3) so I will wait for that!

    Thanks.

    Edited by John Bantin
  6. Thanks for your input all,

    and thanks to Saeed who answered me by e-mail.

    I understand that there will be a new Mac Pro in the UK any day now (in time for CS3) so I will wait for that!

    Thanks.

     

    John a good website if you want to get geeky on Macs is http://www.macrumors.com they have a buyers guide which give info like when the model was last updated and when a new one maybe coming out.

  7. Just a postscript.

     

    I finally went for a 3gb RAM MacBook Pro combined with a 30inch monitor and separate keyboard & mouse that I use on the desk. Installed CS3. Cor, my pics don't half look good!!! I keep the palette on the laptop and the picture on the big screen...and I can see the whole pic when retouching at 50% size. Life is getting easier!

  8. Blimey ! A 30" screen must make the backscatter spots look huuuge ! :)

  9. Blimey ! A 30" screen must make the backscatter spots look huuuge ! :)

    Yes, I can do my mustardization with a shovel now!

    JP.

    You're welcome to walk round to have a look. Bring some medication. You'll be green with envy!

    JB

    Edited by John Bantin
  10. John, any chance of a few snaps of your workstation with all the new kit? I had a chat with Saeed yesterday and I'm also thinking of moving over to mac.

  11. Peter

    If you are looking for a laptop... I'd wait for the LED MacBook Pros later this year... better and will have the faster 800mhz bus. The core2duo should be 2.66 by then.

  12. John, any chance of a few snaps of your workstation with all the new kit? I had a chat with Saeed yesterday and I'm also thinking of moving over to mac.

     

    Especially for you. Well, I tidied up my desk but now I have to sort out the rest of the office!

     

    By the way, I find I cannot use my Nikonscan application as an import into CS3 (unless you know why!). I have to now use it asa stand-alone application.

    post-4197-1178434207_thumb.jpg

  13. Drew, many thanks, good suggestion about waiting for the new macbook pro to be released, any ideas where it will be released first? Could always do with a quick holiday :lol:

     

    John, many thanks for taking the time to take a snap, the 30" of screen sure looks big and heavy, is there a chance of it being knocked from the table, you know the sort of thing when the cleaning dept comes around for its annual sweep up or looking for those festering coffee cups that get left in the den :)

    Edited by PeterCatchpole
  14. Drew, many thanks, good suggestion about waiting for the new macbook pro to be released, any ideas where it will be released first? Could always do with a quick holiday :lol:

     

    John, many thanks for taking the time to take a snap, the 30" of screen sure looks big and heavy, is there a chance of it being knocked from the table, you know the sort of thing when the cleaning dept comes around for its annual sweep up or looking for those festering coffee cups that get left in the den :)

     

    It looks pretty stable to me. Incidentally I formerly had an eMac on this desk and when I carried it down to my little photo studio I had cause to remember it weighed a tonne!

     

    The Mac Book Pro (OSX 10.4.9 Intel) will network (Airport Extreme) with my iMac (OSX 10.4.9 ) but not with the eMac (OSX 10.3.9) so I had to bring my files from the eMac via the iMac (which network OK). I tried firewire eMac to MacBook but it insisted on bringing everything (including any viruses I have unknowingly picked up over the years). If your brain hurts reading this, think what mine has just gone through!

     

    Still cannot get CS2 or CS3 on the MacBook Pro to import my Nikonscan.

     

    As for waiting, I just went out and bought a new car since the one I had is eleven years old now. Should I have waited for a newer model?

     

    My kids are using my old iBook and the iMac produces a nice TV image on a large FGA monitor.

    Edited by John Bantin
  15. As for waiting, I just went out and bought a new car since the one I had is eleven years old now. Should I have waited for a newer model?

     

    My kids are using my old iBook and the iMac produces a nice TV image on a large FGA monitor.

     

    John, quite right, the difference is my existing computer system is youthful in comparison to your jalopy, so no need to rush out. :)

     

    Plenty of usage in the old girl still :lol:

  16. By the way, I find I cannot use my Nikonscan application as an import into CS3 (unless you know why!). I have to now use it asa stand-alone application.

     

    John, I have the same problem in CS2 and Nikonscan seems to be pretty unstable as a stand alone too. If anyone has any bright ideas please let us know! Nikon make good cameras but their software......

  17. John, I have the same problem in CS2 and Nikonscan seems to be pretty unstable as a stand alone too. If anyone has any bright ideas please let us know! Nikon make good cameras but their software......

     

    You're right! The old eMac is now back in my office with the scanner. I never hand any problems importing into CS2 on that. The Intel Mac doesn't seem too reliable at Airport networking with the iMac either. I thought I might use the iMac with the scanner but now I will be using a USB memory stick to transfer TIFFs from CS2 to CS3! Seems like a step backwards just to see the pics on the big screen for retouching.

    Edited by John Bantin
  18. John, Paul (where's Ringo and George) et al

    I recently helped a friend set up his MBP with a Nikon 9000. He had similar problems. Seems CS3 isn't compatible (as yet) with the Nikon Scan plug in. And the standalone had stability problems. I ultimately uninstalled Nikon Scan, trashed the prefs and then repaired permissions, reinstalled it all and now it works. The other issue is not to mess with it while it's scanning.

     

    Peter, the LED macs are due out at the latter half of the year as Steve Jobs announced.

     

    Mr Bantin

    To copy files over, try putting your eMac in target firewire mode (Press T after a restart). Then you can choose which files to copy. And Mac viruses are more psychological than real. They exist but mostly due to the anti-virus software makers who want to sell more software. Of course as Mac OSX becomes more mainstream, the unix code variant will gain more interest in the virus world.

  19. Cheers Drew, looks like a trip to hongkers then :)

  20. Mr Bantin

    To copy files over, try putting your eMac in target firewire mode (Press T after a restart). Then you can choose which files to copy. And Mac viruses are more psychological than real. They exist but mostly due to the anti-virus software makers who want to sell more software. Of course as Mac OSX becomes more mainstream, the unix code variant will gain more interest in the virus world.

     

     

    Thanks for that.

    I did that at the beginning and it worked successfully. However I inadvertently seemed to have brought over lots of stuff I didn't want too so I scrapped the lot and reloaded the OS. A fresh start!

     

    Now the eMac with scanner and functioning scanner software are on another desk in my office I will have them connected to the Mac Book Pro by Firewire. Lucky I didn't bin the eMac!

    Edited by John Bantin
AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.