Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

NTSC to PAL conversion

Started by shawnh ·

  • 31Posts
  • 31Replies

Read-only discussion

NTSC to PAL conversion

31 posts
  1. Here is why I LUV EDIUS :ninja:

     

    Sucked in some of Mary's NTSC HDV, converted to the NTSC Canopus HQ in real time in a PAL HDV timeline.

    Then just edited the NTSC HDV clip with the PAL HDV and DV stuff in real time :D

    Even added slow mo and CC and a title in real time...ha ha.....

     

    Rendered out this 32 meg PAL 50i m2t clip from the NTSC 60i clip straight from the PAL 50i HDV timeline in one easy go.

     

    Can you do that on ya FCP thingy bob :blush:

     

    NTSC TO PAL m2t

     

    Thanks Mary :D .....I put your water mark on it.

    Edited by wagsy
  2. Nice work man. So...on my machine this version has observable stutter...or is that just cam jitter? How does it look on your machine. if it is truely clean...i am in on ProCoder:)

  3. you know Wags if you had the Z you could do these tests with your own stuff.. haha

  4. It seems to look okay this end, the camera is wobbly though making it look funny.

    I'll see if I can make/find a better example.

  5. Yeh yeh Mike...... :blush:

     

    Shawn, Im uploading a 107 meg m2t file for you to look at.

    I will PM you the link when it's done.

    Edited by wagsy
  6. Thanks Mary :blush: .....I put your water mark on it.

     

    That's cool. It's pretty poor footage to begin with, and then I have to convert the m2t file to HDV 1080i50 in Streamclip to view it, but it's a good 1080i60 to 1080i50 conversion. I think it all comes down to what the conversion is for. If it's for a theater release where the vid will be shown on a huge screen, HD projector, what-have-you, I'd probably go for a higher end hardware conversion. But for podcasts, web vids, short clips edited into longer productions, I think this conversion is just fine.

     

    One of the reasons the San Diego UnderSea Film Exhibition requires videos to be submitted on tape in DV NTSC and 1080i60 is that we don't want to be reponsible for doing the conversions ourselves and having the filmmaker unhappy with the results. (I think the one year, sometime ago, that we accepted a PAL tape it was Wagsy's and I ended up taking the tape to a shop and paying for a hardware conversion to get a good result!)

     

    Mary Lynn

    Edited by Mary Lynn
  7. Thanks Mary, so I owe you a beer or two???

     

    I will send you the link so you can download the 107 meg file as well to see. It looks OKAY.

     

    Shawn you could download the 30 day trial of EDIUS and try it for yourself on your MAC/PC thingy.

    Edited by wagsy
  8. Thanks Mary, so I owe you a beer or two???

    It was a great film of yours that year in the SD UFEX, Wagsy. Really wow'd the audience too! Just submit some of your work again this year, OK?!

     

    Checked out the longer conversion you did and it looks quite good. Also think the conversion quality would hold up well on a longer sequence projected large. And I must say that I do like the 25 fps feel too--it has more of that filmic (?) motion to it.

     

    Not so sure about this edius thingy though...but I am impressed...

     

    ML

  9. Yes we need to get our act together and get one in. :blush:

    Cutting up a nice 5 min one for your HD podcast right now with a bourbon. :ninja:

     

    O you had a look....yes it's not bad.

    If you or Shawn can load up a longer sequence 60i m2t one on one scene, I can try that as that one had lots of short quick cuts.

     

    I'll try a 50i to 60i one again. I think I can can capture the 50i m2t feed and convert it to a kind of progressive Canopus HQ codec on the fly as it comes in.

  10. Okay here is another one.

    As it got sucked in it was coverted to the Canopus HQ codec as 1440/1080 25fps with the progressive box tick.

    Then from the EDIUS timeline encoded out a 60i m2t file.

     

    It's 60 megs.

     

    Camera was on auto focus/full wide/3db/50 shutter as it pans past a fern coral.

    No real studder in the shot and you can see the black background it fine. The smaller HDV setup seem to not handle the black to well especially when on full auto as well we found when we have both down there shooting.

    Edited by wagsy
  11. To add to Mary Lynn's comments, I will be posting the submission letter for this coming fall's San Diego UnderSea Film Festival very soon. We have moved to a new theater( tho the old one was great) and this one will have the very latest in HD projection with an over 500 seat capacity; it will be a hell of a showcase for all of the producers on here. Get those unfinished projects finished and prepare the finished ones for submission.

    Steve B)

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.