Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Look What We Got Coming

Started by wagsy ·

  • 30Posts
  • 30Replies

Read-only discussion

Look What We Got Coming

30 posts
  1. Nice bike there but I dont think you can get that model here just the 650. :)

    Besides our Italian GIVI luggage system was very $$$ to buy here, dont know how much a Aprilia Caponord bike would be. The V twins sound great I recon. How long have you had it for.

     

    It's abit strange that they don't import more types of these bikes as they are perfect for AUS.

    Race them around a track, ride two up all day loaded up, bring the sheep in or ride outback AUS.

     

    The Vstrom has a huge following and I think Honda and the others will soon start to make and import these types of bikes as many folks are begining to want them...

     

    I've had the Aprilia Caponord for about 3 years, and ride it mostly on day trips across the Cascade mountain range and around town because it's considerably lighter weight than my 850lb BMW K1200LT (I'm not sure whether the "LT" stands for "Luxury Touring" or "Light Truck"). ;) You can see it at http://www.seattleyates.com/photoK1200LT-assorted.htm if you're interested. I put a lot more miles on the BMW because it's so much more comfortable for long distances (e.g., 500-800 mile days), especially if the wife is aboard. Even a 400-500 mile day is a LONG day for me on the Aprilia, and I don't even consider taking her on it for more than a few hours at a time! :) But yes, the V-twins have a wonderful sound when you wind them up (especially if you add slightly more "beefy" pipes like the Staintunes I put on mine). ;)

     

    The price of the Caponord is comparable to the Vstrom here in the U.S., and both of them (as well as the Triumph Tiger, which is in the same class and price range) are FAR less expensive than the BMW R1200GS, which I consider the standard bearer for this class of bike, but which is WAY more expensive than the others. The fact that the Vstrom has a huge following in AUS makes it a great choice for you; as I said before, you've got to consider whether you're going to be able to get parts/service far from home when on long journeys! I think you're right, though; Honda and others are likely to add to the selection in this class of bike because it's a great type of bike to have -- a blast to ride on pavement (especially twisties), but can be taken off-road as well!

     

    All this bike talk is making me want to go riding! I hope you get your hands on your new baby soon so you can do the same! ;)

  2. hey dont worry wags - she can make $500 per day up here everday - no problems - she just has to share it......

  3. Peter then how much would I get? :) She is the Whale Shark DVD Queen thats for sure.

     

    Bruce that BMW K1200LT is a mighty rig and the little trailer is cool. I suppose the bike would not even know it's there.. Put some ice in it and drag ya beers around.

    What kind of money would a rig like that be worth?

     

    We looked at the Tigers but abit to high and well did not get much responce from the staff when we walked in. :)

     

    What coms are you using? we are looking as some Blue Tooth ones but still trying to work out what would be best. We got a couple of those Nolan 102 flips ups coming but not sure about the coms that are made for them.

     

    Yes we should have it next week and want to do some holiday trips like follow the Hamersley Iron Ore railway from Tom Price to Karratha. Amazing country out there. The Iron Ore trains are over 2 km long. You can see them if you have a look with Google Earth.

     

    Looking at some GPS that you can load maps of AUS into and then with Google Earth can work out all the secret spots to camp at along the way. Going to take a SAT phone for backup as well.

     

    You might be able to help us, we are after some flat plastic fuel tanks but cannot get then here in AUS. Like THESE so we can put them in the topbox etc.

    kol-89150_example.jpg

     

    Maybe we could buy them and send to you etc..

     

    Yes diving/videoing and biking/camping ...what a life. ;)

    Edited by wagsy
  4. I looked at Triumph Tigers, too, but the look/feel just didn't grab me.

     

    The little trailer I pull behind the BMW is called a "Unigo" and when I bought mine, they were made in NZ (so you'd probably call it a "Kiwi-go", right?! ;) ). However, the company got sold to a U.S. company, so now they're made/sold here - the website is http://www.uni-go-trailers.com/ . As I recall, I paid around US$2000 for it. If you're asking the cost of the K1200LT itself, it was close to US$20K, and I figure I've put almost that much more into it since buying...two sets of driving lights, HID headlight and two sets of rear flashing lights (for conspicuity), custom seats, better shocks, a Remus exhaust, different windshield, com system, plus tons of assorted wiring (for radar detector, GPS, MP3, etc.) and more...there's just no end to the crap you can add to a bike if you make the mistake of associating with people who have the same bike! ;) My advice is NOT to join any Vstrom internet forums; that way you won't learn about all the add-ons you didn't know existed but suddenly can't live without! ;)

     

    As for com systems, I've got Autocom on both bikes, and that works pretty well. I can recommend their systems if you have a dealer who will install/warranty their stuff. Nolan is the only helmet maker I know of with Bluetooth at this point, but I haven't really heard how well their system works. Bluetooth is such a logical/obvious thing for motorcycle helmets that I'm not sure why Shoei and other brands haven't tried it (as far as I know)...I've got to think lots more Bluetooth systems will come out in the next year or two. Biker forums are the best place to monitor that stuff -- some of those guys just LIVE for their bikes and know everything that's happening; I just haven't been spending much time on bike stuff lately because I've been focused on diving...and my full-time day job (I hate it when it interferes!). :):)

     

    I can't help you with the flat fuel tanks; I've never seen those, and would just look the same place you would -- the internet. If you can find one on the internet that won't ship to AUS, I'd be happy to have you order it and have it delivered to me, and I'll package it up and ship it to you. But beyond that, I don't think I can help you. Again, an internet forum for your bike would be the best place to ask -- people there would know which size/brand would fit best in your particular topcase or saddlebags... HTH!

  5. Oh, BTW, you're right about not being able to even feel the Unigo trailer behind a bike. It leans with the bike, so you really don't notice it at all! The only time I've ever felt it back there was in some sweeping turns at speeds over 100mph, where it wavered slightly, acting like it wanted to pull due to the centrifigal force. :) Hence, I recommend that people who buy them avoid those speeds in turns. But on sharp, twisty roads, you can lean it over as far and fast as the bike will go and never notice it back there - I scrape my pegs on a regular basis (whenever I can!) with it on! ;)

     

    WYT2%20midr%20w%20LT-sm4web.jpg

  6. Great Pic...

     

    Went and had a look at those trailers, they have a cool video clip there that shows them in action. It's amazing how many cool things have been made in NZ. There was a guy there awhile back that hand built a V2 race bike whitch ended up beating the factory Ducati's and the likes at the races around the world. He built it in his backyard and even made the whole engine by hand. John Britten was his name.

     

    There is another guy who claims to run a engine on water...seriously....he is waiting for the patents to go through..look out greedy oil companies. ;) You should start to hear about him in the next year or two unless someone takes him out. :)

     

    Gee your wife must love it as well to let you spend that much. You are right in that there are many options for the Strom and the forums around the place are very good, hence why we brought it unseen.

     

    Had a look at those coms, also looking the Scala Team Rider just waintg on a guy who just got them to test out. Should be good to chat on the phone while cruising along. The ZUMO GPS can chat to you through them as well.

     

    I'll keep searching for those flat tanks here but might see if you can help us if we have no luck. Hopefully they will ship to AUS. One in each pannier should give us over 500-700 km fuel range.

     

    You need to bring your rig over here and do a lap of AUS one day. Northern Teritory has open speed limits, W'A has empty long roads (200km in one hour many of times) The Great Ocean Road, Carins has some great windies plus much more.

     

    Her is another one with the luggage system we got.

    Picture_012.jpg

     

    and this will be us somewhere out in the middle of scrub. (Time lapse by the looks)

    4ACX7472.jpg

    Edited by wagsy
  7. Okay we have been away for a few days so sorry in not replying to a few folks here.

     

    Yesterday we just got back home with our new bike, two up with the Givi V46 top box and V35 panniers full. It took us 10 hours to ride the 1150km distance.

     

    Dirt roads like this is abit of a worry but on the open highway we sat on 100 to 140km no problems rounding up cars and roadtrains easy. Near the end of the trip we took it up to 180km to see how it would go no problems but it seemed to like 100-140km best. The over drive 6th gear is wonderfull.

     

    Riding it single and without the luggage on is fun...love that sound and it certainly fangs along getting to 200kmph no probs as I found out right at the end of our trip when we took everything off :wacko:

     

    new.jpg

     

    new1.jpg

    Edited by wagsy
  8. ... 200kmph no probs as I found out right at the end of our trip when we took everything off

     

    Careful going that fast after taking everything off...a good sized insect could prove very painful :) , not to mention the risk of a nasty sunburn (in places the sun doesn't normally shine)! :wacko::P

     

    Seriously, though, she's a real beauty (and the bike aint bad, either)! :D Congrats! B)

  9. Kelly sure is a beauty and the deckies on the Whale Shark Boats are trying to cut me grass al the time...Lucky I married her.. ;)

     

    Been abit sidetrack with the biking latley and not much diving, besides there has been no Whale Sharks for days & days but yesterday they got some so hopefully Kelly will come home with a smile on her face and I can get out there and shoot some.

     

    Me, well I took it for a fang today...what a blast.. :)

     

    dirt.jpg

     

    dirt1.jpg

     

    dirt2.jpg

     

    dirt3.jpg

  10. Getting our bike ready for a ride over to Queensland and then down to Heron Island for some diving.

     

    We got some bluetooth bike coms and not only can we chat to each other riding along at 120kmph no probs but we can make and recieve phone calls via Bluetooth to the mobile. Pretty funny having a 3 way conversation while we are riding along. :)

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.