Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Misool Eco Resort - First Underwater Footage

Started by shawnh ·

  • 33Posts
  • 33Replies

Read-only discussion

Misool Eco Resort - First Underwater Footage

33 posts
  1. Hey folks,

     

    I just finished a promotional video that I had been assigned to do for Misool Eco Resort, the new conservation resort located in south Raja Ampat that will be opening early next year. Andy Miners is visionary behind this eco operation. He has really chosen an amazing site. More importantly he has established with the support the local community, at 200sq. km. no take zone and Marine Protected Area sourouding the resortMisoolEcoResort The diving is absolutely prestine. The biodiversity unrivaled. The sheer density of fish populations mezmorizing!

     

    Though i am sure a few of the sites had been filmed before, many of the locations in this 16 min film are first time sites. All of the dives were within 0 to 15 minutes of the resort, except 2 that were 30 and 60 minutes distance by small speed boat. All footage was gathered in 1 week of shooting, with 1/2 the weeks footage barely usable due to the that green low vis tide that plagued many a trip to Raja in late December.

     

     

    Enjoy and any feedback or criticisms are welcome ;)

    http://www.bluespheremedia.com/indonesia-r...mpat-video.html

  2. Shawn

    Just watched the full version.

    Great work.

    What a wonderfull place.

     

    Not to far from AUS as well.

    Put that one on our list of places to go to.

  3. Justin and I were talking about that. Would love to get you up there to do some filming with us some time. Could probably something out;)

  4. Mmm... Shawn that sounds okay.

     

    Well lets get the next couple months out of the way and we will see were we are at.

     

    It looks like we are going to Melbourne for abit around July so easy to jump on a plane from there.

  5. Just watched the full version on our HD monitor - very nice work.

  6. Nice job. That places really looks like heaven.

     

    About your work. The only criticism I have is about the PIP's in the beginning. Too much "action" for my taste.

     

    Peter

  7. Given the intended application / purpose of these piece I think Shawn can get away with his use of them.

     

    I think the choice of tunes is also very complentary.

  8. Excellent job. My only comment would be, if I show this to my wife, she wants to see a little more of the resort itself, rooms and such.

  9. Great stuff!!!

     

    I remember someone (not sure if it was Andy) a couple of years ago showing off this resort and it looked great, but these images really hit home!

  10. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it:)

    Regarding showing more of the resort, i totally agree. In other projects i have done a full section on accomodations, facilities, guest experience, etc. In this case the facilities is heavily under construction. Because this video needs to last awhile, i decided not to feature a construction site(LOL). I expect to update the video late this year with comprehensive coverage of the resort. Since it doesn't open until early next year, I have time.

     

    The fact that you can access this diving from a land based operation is amazing! Everytime i watch the video, i can't wait to return. There is so much more to film. In addition to the reefs, we had bait balls of tuna bubbling up on each trip to dive sites. I managed to grab a little footate of one. Next time i plan to make that a priority. We came accross numerous pods of dolphins as well but they were a bit shy. In the right seasons, there are whale sharks and even orcas. So much to film so little time...

  11. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it:)

    Regarding showing more of the resort, i totally agree. In other projects i have done a full section on accomodations, facilities, guest experience, etc. In this case the facilities is heavily under construction. Because this video needs to last awhile, i decided not to feature a construction site(LOL). I expect to update the video late this year with comprehensive coverage of the resort. Since it doesn't open until early next year, I have time.

     

    The fact that you can access this diving from a land based operation is amazing! Everytime i watch the video, i can't wait to return. There is so much more to film. In addition to the reefs, we had bait balls of tuna bubbling up on each trip to dive sites. I managed to grab a little footate of one. Next time i plan to make that a priority. We came accross numerous pods of dolphins as well but they were a bit shy. In the right seasons, there are whale sharks and even orcas. So much to film so little time...

     

    You could do a really long "time lapse" shot of the construction: from nothing to a nice resort

  12. That would be awesome...now i just need swing staying there that long:)

  13. That would be awesome...now i just need swing staying there that long:)

     

    Not necesarily. Ask them to take a still every day/half day from exactly the same location. But staying there would be my preferred option as well ;) .

  14. that's a good idea. i'll look into that. i left a small tripod there on my last time. that would be more than sufficient.

  15. Hey...What about inviting us coldwater filmmakers over...That Wagsy bloke has enough tropical paradise on his own doorstep...I'm getting pneumonia sitting in this quarry all day...!!!!!

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(ice-pop toes)B

  16. Hey...What about inviting us coldwater filmmakers over...That Wagsy bloke has enough tropical paradise on his own doorstep...I'm getting pneumonia sitting in this quarry all day...!!!!!

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(ice-pop toes)B

     

    What about a wetpixel videographers "get together" week or even a fortnight at the Misool Eco Resort?

  17. Great idea - let's discuss it with Andy Miners at ADEX in a couple of weeks. We'll be at booth 1407.

  18. Shawn

     

    Beautiful place and work on the piece - I want to go NOW :)

  19. What about a wetpixel videographers "get together" week or even a fortnight at the Misool Eco Resort?

     

    Yeah I'll sell my soul one more time for the airfare.... :)

     

    I wish...Just post the footage when you've all finished.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  20. What about a wetpixel videographers "get together" week or even a fortnight at the Misool Eco Resort?

     

    That is a great idea...really. Nick and I will chat with Andy about this. Perhaps we could organize a wetpixel trip at a special (maybe really special) rate and have it scheduled prior to official opening. Only dedicated wetpixel folks would be invited.

     

    In exchange, everyone would promise to publish awesome shots and footage of the place with big smiles:)

     

    I'll let you know.

    shawn

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.