Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Photoshop Background Raw Processing???

Started by james ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Photoshop Background Raw Processing???

27 posts
  1. OK, I'm stumped.

     

    First off, I use ACR in CS2 for some of my RAW workflow. I do NOT use Bridge.

     

    How do I get photoshop to do the conversions in the background while I'm tweaking the next RAW file I want to work on????

     

    I tweak a file, then hit save, then when I want to work on another one at the same time while it's processing the first I can't get it to work...

     

    Your thoughts? I use Capture One for this and it is much faster but I like the controls in ACR for some photos.

     

    Thanks in advance,

    James

  2. James

     

    if you open up multiple files in PS RAW thing ... you get them down the side in thumbs ... click the one you want to work on .. work on it .. then click the next one you want to work on .. work on it .. when finsihed with all of them select all thumbs and click open all or save all .. bam done .. it doesn't exactly do background .. but you can go through them all seperately and then save them all or open them all.

     

    Giles

     

    ps .. someone may be able to explain it better .. but thats my take on it .. and isn't this ur area or expertise ?

  3. James

     

    if you open up multiple files in PS RAW thing ... you get them down the side in thumbs ... click the one you want to work on .. work on it .. then click the next one you want to work on .. work on it .. when finsihed with all of them select all thumbs and click open all or save all .. bam done .. it doesn't exactly do background .. but you can go through them all seperately and then save them all or open them all.

     

    Giles

     

    ps .. someone may be able to explain it better .. but thats my take on it .. and isn't this ur area or expertise ?

    that's the same way i do it. maybe there's another way but i have found this to be quite effective. only difference is, i start by selecting the images in bridge...

    /paul

  4. Interesting, thanks guys. But where do I see the thumbs?

     

    Currently, I browse the images in Breezebrowser, and use that to tag and sort them. Then I go from Breezebrowser to ACR by hitting "Ctl-D" to open the RAW file.

     

    With that workflow I don't have the option of tweaking multiple files, or if I do, I need to figure out a way to see all the thumbnails with the ones I've tagged in Breezebrowser appearing at the top somehow...

     

    Any suggestions? I don't think browsing and tagging the thumbs in Bridge is an option for my 16 megapixel pix. Too slow.

     

    James

  5. There should be an option in BreezeBrowser to group tagged files together (usually at the top)? Selecting all of those (post-tagging) and choosing to open in ACR might work.

    Edited by segal3
  6. All you have to do James is open a RAW file in Photoshop ... so in breeze browser . select the images you want and then choose to edit using photoshop they will automatically open up in ACR .. lemme get some screen shots of doing it from ACDSee .. must be similar.

    post-638-1176245974_thumb.jpg post-638-1176246005_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Giles
  7. Interesting! I selected three files to edit and opened them in Photoshop from Breezebrowser

     

    I don't have that left-hand pane in photoshop that shows the image thumbnails in ACR. I have CS2 - what do I need to do to make them all appear?

     

    THanks guys, this is very helpful!

     

    James

  8. hmm .. let me play .. then i will edit .. are you sure you had mre than one image open ?

     

    the only way i see to hide the thumbnails on the side is to move the frame of the side bar to the left ..

    do you have a thin grey bar on the left in the verticle middle area .. 2 little dash marks ? put your mouse on that and move to the right .. thats all i have got .. i had to reinstall adobe ps2 a while ago as some things werent working right .. mostly just the bridge function .. but if that went wrong for me i can see that going wrong for someone else if there is no way to see the thumbs ..

     

    oh and just to make sure ... in the bottom right corner of the image view area .. there should be left and right arrows and numbers saying which photo you are on and how many their are.

    Edited by Giles
  9. OK, I've almost got it!

     

    If I use bridge (ack!) and select 3 RAW files, then click "open in Adobe Camera Raw" then I can get the screen you have Giles - the one I want.

     

    But the way I have Breezebrowser set up, I have my editor set as "Photoshop.exe" If I could somehow set it to be "Adobe Camera Raw.exe" I think I could get this to work.

     

    But I've looked around and I can't find the executable for ACR. Does anyone know where it is?

     

    Thanks again,

    James

    Edited by james
  10. James .. ACR opens automatically when a RAW file is opened in PS so using photoshop.exe should work fine .. it's how i have it set up.

     

    it sounds to me like ur breezebrowser isn't opening all 3 files in PS just one .. when you open 3 from BB .. do you get any sign that there are 3 images open ?

     

    I think that is your problem.. not PS or ACR .. I don't use bridge either .. !

    Edited by Giles
  11. The same thing happens when I select two RAW files in Windows explorer and then select "Open With" Photoshop. It only opens one of them in Photoshop in an ACR window. I don't see how to run ACR separately. Is there a way to run it independant of Photoshop?

     

    Cheers

    James

  12. The same thing happens when I select two RAW files in Windows explorer and then select "Open With" Photoshop. It only opens one of them in Photoshop in an ACR window. I don't see how to run ACR separately. Is there a way to run it independant of Photoshop?

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    If you highlight two RAW images and drag them into photoshop, it should open both in ACR. (At least it does for me)

  13. Is there a way to run it independant of Photoshop?
    I don't think so .. ACR is more like a plugin .... it is part of photoshop not a seperate entity.

     

    The drag and drop method sounds like a good work around .. highlight in breezebrowser .. drag to photoshop and ACR will open them all.

  14. Yes James, you can do it. But only if you give in and use Bridge.

     

    First Open Bridge. Find and select all of the files you want to open in ACR.

    Right Click on one of them, select "Open in ACR"

    post-1707-1176302300_thumb.jpg

     

    Now ACR is running on-top of Bridge. You no longer have access to Bridge, but you are free to do what ever you want in photoshop. After you have edited the raws use Save instead of Open. Then use any program other than bridge to catch the .jpg files and send them to photoshop when ACR is done with them. This allows you to go back and forth between ACR and Photoshop at will (just press alt-tab).

    post-1707-1176302064_thumb.jpg

  15. Thanks guys. You are right.

     

    I did give in and try using Bridge last night. I have a decent machine and it took >20 mins for Bridge to render thumbnails for one of my directories with 300 photos in it. That's just not acceptable. Breezebrowser takes about <1 min.

     

    I used Bridge to browse and select 6 files, then tweak each and then finally convert all 6. The functionality there worked well, but it was just too slow compared to other options. I'm disappointed but I'm sure I can find a workaround.

     

    Cheers

    James

  16. Thanks guys. You are right.

     

    I did give in and try using Bridge last night. I have a decent machine and it took >20 mins for Bridge to render thumbnails for one of my directories with 300 photos in it. That's just not acceptable. Breezebrowser takes about <1 min.

     

    I used Bridge to browse and select 6 files, then tweak each and then finally convert all 6. The functionality there worked well, but it was just too slow compared to other options. I'm disappointed but I'm sure I can find a workaround.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    When CS3 comes out, Bridge2 is WAY WAY WAY improved all around, but in the speed department the most.

    I have been using BridgeCS3-Beta and Lightroom lately, and to turn CS2 Bridge on makes me want to cry...

  17. James did you try the drag and drop method from breeze browser or explorer ?

     

    it seems like that should work to me

  18. Hi,

     

    I think I understand some of this thread! (so apologies if I don't!)

     

    I use Breeze browser too

     

    I have set it up so that a double click on any image in Breezebrowser then opens that file in CS2. This is somewhere in the preferences.

     

    If I opne the file directory for the images I want to view in Breezbrowser, and view them in the "filmstrip or thumbnail" view, I can select as many images as I want by clicking on each image and holding control.

     

    Once I have selected the images, I double click on the final one, and this will open it in CS2.

     

    If they are RAW images, this then opens the image in ACR automatically (although this is within CS2)

     

    Hope that helps!

     

    Adam

  19. Adam,

     

    Yes that was basically the idea of the thread .. however the issue James was having now was opening multiple files in ACR from Breeze Browser in one go !

  20. Adam,

     

    Yes that was basically the idea of the thread .. however the issue James was having now was opening multiple files in ACR from Breeze Browser in one go !

     

    Hey happy to be on the right page!!!

     

    To open multiple files in ACR from Breeze Browser, just control click the images in BB and double click on the final one! (if you have set up PS2 as your default editing software)

     

    It will then open all the selected images in ACR.

     

    Hope that helps!

     

    Adam

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.