Once again, let me preface this by saying I am the most novice of hobbyists in marine photography. Unlike some, I am not a professional and do this because it keeps me out of trouble doing something else. I began taking pictures in January of this year with a Reefmaster DC500 and decided to move onto something a little more sophisticated. At this point, I am not sure where I landed...
The Canon is a nice land camera and in the hands of someone who is smarter than me would probably work well in the water. It has lots of controls which Canon put there to confuse people like me. I am pretty sure some engineer is having a lot of fun tonight thinking about me pushing buttons on the camera to change something which I just changed back from a few minutes before. Anyway, it makes me feel good to push the camera buttons to let it know who is in charge so in the end its all good as they say...
The Ikelite housing is robust, tough and the buttons, well, there are those same fun buttons that are on the camera! Wow, I couldnt be happier! I knew that somehow if I keep pushing buttons between shots I will stumble on the magic formula for a good picture! Anyway, I decided to follow advice from Ikelite and set the C1 function up with the AV mode with the flash set up for TTL. I grabbed the silicone, lathered up the orings, admired the nice looking case and set off for the ocean thinking back on all the posts I have memorized from how to flood cases to how real men dont use TTL. On the short drive to the seawall I fondly remembered however I was already married and so decided to stick with TTL because at that point I had nothing left to prove.
The Ikelite handled very nicely in the water, is well balanced and the DS51 has a pretty large switch to turn on so I didnt have any problem swimming out to set up for my debut photo shoot and getting the camera and flash turned on. I might have even had thoughts of all those POTW Contests I would win with my new rig. If I win enough of them I wont ever have to buy TShirts again, right! Soon however, I realized the one thing that Canon forgot to ship with the G7 and even Ikelite forgot to mention in thier sales ad for that gorgeous housing they make. It wasnt a realization that came in a flash mind you, it more like sort of crept up on me. You see, as I was working my way through the series of overblown and out of focus pictures for the day it occured to me deep in my mind that ,"Wow, if you knew what your doing this camera would really do a good job! You'd have to be some kind of idiot to not get some good photos with this thing..." About 30 minutes later I realized I WAS that idiot who couldnt get the camera to work. I am going to write Canon I think and complain that nobody told me I had to know the relationship between fStop, Shutter speed, lighting, exposure and all those other settings that keep coming up when I push the fun-buttons. Who knew that roulette-photography wouldnt work?
Out of 120 some odd photos that I took that day only a dozen or so came out without looking like some grossly deformed fish or coral melting into the background (which I might add was more often in focus than what I intended to photograph). I had so many overlit pictures you would think I was trying to vaporize all life on the reef with my new Ikelite LaserCanon with the camera being used as an aiming device. This of course would be preposterous because that would mean that whatever unfortunate fish I was picking on would have to be centered in the picture frame, right?
Ok. Now the aftermath. I ended up spending the day learning the G7/Ikelite TTL rig and am ready to retry the ocean tomorrow! I have chased every Gecko, looked at each flower and found every bug in the yard... and taken its picture, twice. Ready at last, I am heading back out to the broad seas (next to shore actually) to spend some time with the fishes. And my wife.
Pictures to follow...









