I want to encourage the newbies here to get out and fire away with your internal strobes. All of these shots from the Exumas (Caribbean) were taken with an internal strobe, with shutter priority of 1/125 (moving targets). The fairy basslets are the best of about 75 images - that's the digital dogma: shoot, shoot and shoot. This was with a Canon s50, and you can see it is capable of great color rendition and focus.
Beginner Forum / Archived topic
To encourage newbies: Great images are possible
Started by Scubaskeeter ·
- 25Posts
- 25Replies
Read-only discussion
To encourage newbies: Great images are possible
-
-
Great shots! I'm hoping I can produce similar results next month when I go to Panama.
-
I concur. Awesome shots! I'm definitely inspired to try harder and achieve results like that.
-
I do not claim any of these are great images..but I do agree you can get nice results with a point-n-shoot if you find the sweet spot for the lens. All these images where taken with a Canon Powershot SD700-IS housed in the Canon WP-DC5 case and only using the internal strobe.
tell me what you think
-Peter
-
I do not claim any of these are great images..but I do agree you can get nice results with a point-n-shoot if you find the sweet spot for the lens. All these images where taken with a Canon Powershot SD700-IS housed in the Canon WP-DC5 case and only using the internal strobe.
tell me what you think
-Peter
Those are nicely done Peter. I think the Pyg is in the lower left, where there is very good focus. You got the right idea about the sweet spot especially on macro mode.
-
All very well done. Peter I loved your shots but the topside canoe shot was NatGeo worthy. Nice capture.
Scubaskeeter - I may not of invented spray and pray but I've certainly mastered it.

-
This is a great thread - really inspiring! You can get some good u/w shots with a p&s with some practice. As said before, you have to learn the sweet spot for the lens and how the camera thinks. Remember to get close. These were taken with a Canon SD800 IS in the Canon WP-DC 9 housing. They have been cropped (some heavily!) and tweaked in iphoto:
http://gallery.mac.com/philsokol#100038
Shoot away! But be warned - you could get bitten by the bug and then spend all your money on new gear and all your time on wetpixel.
BTW Peter, the market canoe shot is really fantastic!
-
Loving this thread, here are a couple of shots that I took with a PowerShot S50 as well. And these were taken in cold murky So. Cal waters.




-
Some great shots and I agree you still get some good shot's with a P&S. I took these with my Sea&Sea 5000g about 10 days ago in Phi Phi Island Thailand. They were done with manual WB.
On this day I was happy to have my P&S as if I had my DSLR then I would have had the wrong lens on for sure so the flexibility of the P&S won on this dive.
Spen
-
Wow. I miss those trip reports on the old D2D. Nice photos everyone.
-
Great thread everyone.
I'm using an Oly SP-350 in all these shots and they are all in Hawaii. I very rarely use a flash. Also just recently bought a canon xti so as soon as i can afford a housing, it will be all wet!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/harryhxc/sets...57601105049550/
-
I want to encourage the newbies here to get out and fire away with your internal strobes. All of these shots from the Exumas (Caribbean) were taken with an internal strobe, with shutter priority of 1/125 (moving targets). The fairy basslets are the best of about 75 images - that's the digital dogma: shoot, shoot and shoot. This was with a Canon s50, and you can see it is capable of great color rendition and focus.
These shots are really inspiring. I have recently bought a Canon G9 with Ikelite housing for pool portrait photography. ( I'm an absolute beginner ) I thought I would need a strobe so I splashed out and bought a DS 125. I'm finding the internal flash perfectly adequate for outdoor pool shots. Maybe I can use the strobe for ambient lighting?? Any suggestions??
-
Nice shots everyone. I have a Oly 350, and I get better shots, most of the time, with the internal flash shut off. When I use the strobe, I seem to wash out the subject with too much light. I have managed to get a few good shots with the strobe, but I think it was more by accident. I am just learning. I have made some decent pictures, at a 100plus ft with no flash at all.
Chuck
-
Chuck, I don't know if your Oly has this option, but when using the flash close up try turning the exposure compensation down 1/3 or 2/3. That really helped with my Canon p&s.
-
Chuck, I don't know if your Oly has this option, but when using the flash close up try turning the exposure compensation down 1/3 or 2/3. That really helped with my Canon p&s.
True, exposure comp could help. In addition the Canons actually offer a flash output control, which is useful on close-ups. I'll bet Oly has similar if you read the manual.
-
I want to encourage the newbies here to get out and fire away with your internal strobes. All of these shots from the Exumas (Caribbean) were taken with an internal strobe, with shutter priority of 1/125 (moving targets). The fairy basslets are the best of about 75 images - that's the digital dogma: shoot, shoot and shoot. This was with a Canon s50, and you can see it is capable of great color rendition and focus.
To keep you encouraged, a Canon G7 took second place here ==> LAUPS results
-
I have recently bought a Canon G9 with Ikelite housing for pool portrait photography.
As an owner of both the Canon housing and the Ikelite I'd say the Ikelite is less than ideal for use around and in the pool. Great for diving, but a little big and heavy for use out of water. I use my Canon case around the pool, at the beach, skiing or anywhere I'm concerned about dust or the elements.
You may want to consider the OEM case as it is much better suited to that kind of photography ... much lighter and easier to manage topside ... and only $150. If you plan to ever dive with the camera, I'd say keep both ... I own both cases and they have totally different purposes. If you never plan to dive, I'd ebay the Ikelite and buy the Canon case.
Here's a good example of a pool shot with the Canon housing:

and another using the internal strobe for fill (with diffuser):

-
OK here we go - my first photo posts
Turks and Caicos March 2008
P+S Canon Ixus 950is with internal strobe only.
Falmingo Tongues
Juvenile Drum
Neck Crab
Cheers
Hal
PS: How do you insert your photos directly into the post like Jeremy has done above? I only have 450Kb per post which means either small photos or multiple posts - H
-
http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15473
Here's how you do it if you host on Flickr per their terms ... There's the *right* way (per Flickr's terms) and the *easy* way ... I'm guilty of using the easy way at times.
OK here we go - my first photo postsTurks and Caicos March 2008
P+S Canon Ixus 950is with internal strobe only.
Falmingo Tongues
Juvenile Drum
Neck Crab
Cheers
Hal
PS: How do you insert your photos directly into the post like Jeremy has done above? I only have 450Kb per post which means either small photos or multiple posts - H
Are you using the diffuser?
-
Yes, the little snap on one that comes with the Canon housing.