Yea! one of my favorite topics. I believe that the concept of a "dive buddy" is one of the worst ideas ever. While having someone around to baby-sit new or infrequent divers is important and needed, having another inexperienced diver as a buddy does not help much. And why would an experienced diver want to PAY to go on a dive trip so that they can baby-sit some stranger.
Inexperienced divers should be accompanied by a divemaster who is trained to keep an eye and offer assistance and experienced divers should be permitted to go off on their own.
But what if the experienced diver gets into a bind? Sure it happens, but I would love to see statistics as to how often an experienced diver gets into trouble AND is successfully rescued by their buddy. I'd bet not very often. The kind of trouble that experienced divers get into, about all the buddy can do is bring back the corpse.
The only problem with this is that how do you decide who qualifies as "experienced."
---------------------------------------
And then comes the underwater photographer. The underwater photographer complicates things further. Even experienced divers are rarely an appropriate buddy for a photographer. Not many people are prepared/willing to dive at the pace of a photographer: swimming around looking for something interesting, and then parking there for 15 minutes. I find that nearly every time I start off with a buddy, they have abandoned me before I am finished with my first subject.
Since I stared diving with a dSLR, I almost always end up diving solo, even when I am diving with friends who are equally experienced. That said, I feel that my hole in my photography is that my photos very rarely include a model.
The ideal solution for photographers is to hire a guide to help search for subjects and double as a model. This kills two birds with one stone, I get what I want (both a model and someone to look for interesting critters) AND I get a buddy who won’t abandon me (which makes the lawyers happy on commercial dive boats).
Unfortunately I do not have the extra cash to hire a guide for every dive. So I am just careful to choose destinations / boats which will let me dive solo. If only I could convince my wife to learn to dive so that she could model for me.