ATJ, I'm happy to do so.
Thanks, Robert My responses are in bold.
Halstead's Undercurrents piece does focus on the problem of people surfacing alone, and not at the place and time that the chase/tender boat driver might expect, which is serious enough.
I fully understand those comments and agree that in some and even many situations, surfacing alone is a dangerous thing for the reasons he outlined.
Not every dive is a boat dive or relies on a tender boat. The vast majority (if not all) of my regular dives are shore dives with no boat. They are also in areas where if surfacing is required, it can be done safely - and if it can't be done safely, it isn't done at all.
Even on boat dives it may be possible to surface safely - but that obviously depends on the site and specifically the terrain in that location. For example, a dive on a pinnacle where the amount of horizontal movement is small and you are staying very close to the wall for the whole dive.
The problem with ascending and redescending is that your nice safe dive profile has just turned into a nasty double spike. Your computer probably won't take that into consideration. Suunto and Mares computers with partial RGBM implementations should try to compensate by cutting your bottom time for the remainder of your dive, at least in theory. The purpose of RGBM, however, is not to make it possible to dive suicidal profiles, and no reduction in bottom time on the second half of the dive could ever make ascending and redescending safe.
Let's say you and I did a dive together to 30 meters, then ten minutes after we surfaced, I said, screw the surface interval, let's do another dive to the same depth right now. Would you agree to go with me? If not, then why would you ever consider doing a second dive after a surface interval of only one minute?
I don't think your analogy is valid. If it had been a full dive of 40 minutes plus I would definitely not consider it. But we aren't talking about a full dive here. We are talking about a dive that has been cut short for some reason. Further, when I do a 30 metre dive, I don't stay at 30 metres for the whole dive. I wouldn't stay there for more than 10 minutes and in most cases much less. The rest of the dive would be spend gradually getting shallower.
Now, I'm not advocating a surface search for a 30 metre dive, however, for the sake of the discussion I will pretend that I do. Let's assume that my buddy and I got separated and we couldn't find each other on the bottom and decided to surface. It would either be early in the dive which means the residual nitrogen would be lower or it would be later in the dive and a) it is unlikely we ascended from 30 metres and b ) we wouldn't consider going back to 30 metres. In my opinion, it is not even possible to generalise on what the course of action would be at that point because it would be dependent on the dive time and the depth from which the emergency ascent started. We might abort the dive. We might go back to 5 metres. We might go to 10 metres. It all depends.
I should add that I would recommend against diving a 30 metre site in poor visibility as the poor visibility greatly increases the chances of becoming separated from your buddy and makes it a lot harder to find them. With good visibility, you should never lose your buddy and so there is no need for the surface search, As a 30 metre dive includes more risk, you should also be far more aware of your buddy and the only reason to surface would be due to gear failure. In that event, you could do an appropriate ascent as buddies (sharing air as required) and the idea of descending again would not be considered. Note also that a gear failure when diving alone may mean a rapid ascent without safety/decompression stops.
The problem with a quick re-descent is that it can recompress those zillions of nitrogen bubbles streaming out of your tissues into your bloodstream after your ascent to look for your missing buddy (and you probably didn't do a 3 minute safety stop either, did you?) so that they become small enough to pass through the lung barrier to the arterial side, where they can then re-expand after your second ascent. That can be where a serious problem starts, and that's why cutting bottom time after the re-descent won't protect you. This is why we do surface intervals between dives, and why sawtooth dives (even with only two "teeth") can kill you.
Again, this will depend very much on the depth from which you ascended and how long you were there. As I said above, I don't advocate a surface search from such a depth (30 m) and also any ascent would be with appropriate safety stops - again dependent on the depth and duration. These zillions of nitrogen bubbles streaming out of your tissues into your blood stream would be a problem anyway and suggest that you had more of a problem with your ascent than the subsequent descent and also that agreeing with your buddy to surface search before a deep dive was a bad idea.
Does this also suggest that recompression is not the right treatment for DCS? It was my understanding that you want to recompress the divers as quickly as possible after a DCS or potential DCS incident.
There is apparently some new data showing that divers (often a divemaster) are particularly vulnerable to DCS after doing a quick dive or free-dive down to free the anchor following a normal dive, even though this is usually redescending to only 12 meters or so, and only for one or two minutes - hardly any "bottom time" on the "2nd descent" at all, really.
Again, this sounds like we are talking about divers that have completed full dives. They would have been heavily loaded with nitrogen before they did the quick dive and that quick dive is only going to add to the residual nitrogen so it seems logical to me that they would be more vulnerable to DCS.
I assume that ascending and redescending to and from depths of ten meters or less would be much less likely to cause DCS problems - I think I did qualify the comment in my original post to apply to "non-trivial depths." But I have seen people ascend to look for a missing buddy from depths in the 30 meter range, then re-descend to the same depth ... and not always with their buddy either. (So what was the point of that?).
I definitely agree that a surface search on a 30 metre dive is a bad idea. Even 20 metres is pushing it, unless it was very early in the dive and going back to 20 metres would be unwise. I have no problem at all with the procedure for dives to 10 metres or less - unless subsequent dives to deeper than 10 metres are planned for the same day. I even think that dives to 15 metres it is fine, as long as the dive is short and it is the only dive of the day.
I don't agree with making the sorts of generalisations that Halstead makes about the procedure. Yes, it can and does have problems in certain situations, but I don't believe you need to throw the "baby out with the bathwater". Driving at 110 km/h in a school zone is plain stupid, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't drive at 110 km/h on a freeway.
I agree that there are some situations where a buddy is a disadvantage and possibly even a risk but there are also some situations where diving with a buddy reduces risk. I believe it ensuring people are educated and allow them to make informed decisions about what is or isn't appropriate in a certain situation.
BTW, I think you were a little harsh in your response to ChristianG. Is somebody up past their normal bedtime?
Perhaps I was a little harsh. Perhaps I was just reacting to the completely baseless accusations about me, my diving and my performance as a buddy. How do you think you would react if out of the blue someone with whom you have never previously spoken, let alone met, started to publicly suggest that you were a poor diver?