Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Can Ya MAC Folks Do This

Started by wagsy ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Can Ya MAC Folks Do This

27 posts
  1. Installed EDUIS 4.51 on Kelly's new Core2Duo VISTA laptop.

    Took me a day to get rid of all the VISTA/HP/Norton's rubbish on it though. :D

     

    Anyhow it looks like you can render out a fully authored DVD straight from a DV timeline with chapters, AC3 audio and menus in about 2 times real time. That is a 20 minute DV timeline would take about 10 mins to make a fully authored DVD if you had the DVD templates made up to spec . :P

     

    Great for every Day DVD's.

     

    Use to take me 24 hours to render out a 60 min DVD file only a few years ago.

     

    Times are a changing :)

    Edited by wagsy
  2. Hey Wags,

     

    4.52 is out. Haven't played with it yet.

  3. nice Wags, what were the specs on that Vista laptop

  4. I just bought a MBP, hate it, im still using my 3 year old laptop whilst my mac sits at home :D

  5. Installed EDUIS 4.51 on Kelly's new Core2Duo VISTA laptop.

    Took me a day to get rid of all the VISTA/HP/Norton's rubbish on it though. :D

     

    Nope cannot do that, nor need to ;-)

  6. Yes I have to update to 4.52.

    It will edit raw m2t but it's still much better if it's converted to the Canopus HQ codec.

    I'll do some render speed tests on it and get the specs.

     

    Pretty cool though how you just hit the V key anywhere you want a chapter to be on the timeline itself, fire up the DVD exporter and pick you style with chapter menus or make a custom one, then hit render and away it goes out to a folder on you drive for burning later on or it will burn it straight to a DVD there and then. I don't know if it uses the same render engine that Procoder Express uses but the 8mbps CBR DVD file looks wonderful straight out of a HDV or DV timeline.

     

    I also imported a m2t clip in a DV 4.3 timline and just zoomed / moved it around till I got the picture I wanted as it's like 4 x larger res than DV. All off couse in realtime still.

     

    It runs rings around Premiere Pro doing this kind of stuff. The Canopus HQ files worked fine in After Effects 7 as well.

     

    VISTA is so security this security that. Turned off as much stuff as I could fine, got rid of horrible lets take over and bog your computer down nortons and installed a free firewall, free adware and easy free home made updatable virus scanner from Trend to scan now and again for bugs.

     

    KISS

  7. Scuba SI.....hate it huh...send it here. I'll send you some new Weezle drysuit underwear.

    Steve B)

  8. Hey Wags,

    How are the 3D/2D motion graphics capabilities of Canapus?

    Shawn

  9. My Q6600 renders out an MPEG2 DVD file from Vegas 7 via a framesever at 4.3 x realtime using CCE Basic. Then TMPEGenc DVD Author authors the DVD at something like 10x. Buying a laptop at Christmas so i'll let you know how it goes on that.

  10. Hey Wags,

    How are the 3D/2D motion graphics capabilities of Canapus?

    Shawn

     

    Shawn it can keyframe video, graphics and text around but it does take some playing to get the hang of it with it's 3D Picture in Picture Keyer. The Turtle Training DVD we did had tons of graphics in it that had to be made and moved around the place. Most were PSD's.

     

    Nothing beats After Effects though.

     

    Pro DAD's plugin called heroglyph is very cool for motion effects on texts & graphics and it will let you make in realtime moving lines on maps even.

     

    Yes it is funny Nick how quick they render now days...the days of waiting and waiting are over. :D

    And to think in 2000 (Matrox RT 2000) I had to have a whole separate card to get realtime performace when editing.

  11. Scuba SI.....hate it huh...send it here. I'll send you some new Weezle drysuit underwear.

    Steve B)

     

    Steve - Having seen the state of your wetsuit in Tahiti i might just have to pass on that offer. But thanks anyway!

  12. To answer the original question, I can boot on Vista in my Mac laptop :D

  13. To answer the original question, I can boot on Vista in my Mac laptop :D

     

     

    LOL. Very true.

     

    It also seems people are running Edius on their Macs via Parallels or Boot Camp. I may try it at some point to see how it goes and to show Wagsy us Mac users can do the Edius thing also when we want to :P

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  14. Ha ha...yeh and go ahead and open up a timelime and throw in a heap of different types of video formats and just edit. Then see how easy it is to render out QT, H.264, flv, wmv, divx, mpeg 2, mpeg1, m2t, avi's the list goes on. Be careful though..you may be converted once you get familiar with it. :D

     

    This is one of the best features I like if you have twin screens, full 1.1 HDV resolution while you edit, no downscale or quality loss of the picture while you edit. WYSIWYG

     

    post-4240-1193531360_thumb.jpg

    Edited by wagsy
  15. Here's a half size screendump of my triple screens running Vegas Pro 8.0a. Far left is my Dell 24" running as a simple Windows secondary display. I'm getting real-time 25fps playback of raw m2t files at "Best (full)" quality on the Dell as long as I set the smaller preview window to only display when the timeline is paused.

    post-3234-1193550942_thumb.jpg

  16. Way to go Nick.

    Multi screens is the way to go thats for sure.

    I have yet to buy a 3rd hi res screen, justs Svideo out to a normal TV for now.

    Editiing on the laptop is abit harder due to lack of space but it certainly encodes out files quick.

     

    1 min from a DV timeline with audio and graphics to QT H.264 or wmv takes about 40 seconds.

    1 min to mpeg2 is about 30 seconds.

    1 min to DV is about 30 seconds.

    Mercalli steady shot filter flies. It can rip through a clip section at 174fps but depends on what setting you have it on.

     

    Editing HDV is like DV. :guiness:

    Raw m2t is still not as smooth as the Canopus HQ codec and it converts m2t to the Canopus codec in realtime as it's firewired in no problems what so ever. Adding CC filters and stuff to raw m2t seems to be not as good as adding them to the Canopus HQ codec as well. But for basic cuts raw m2t would be okay.

     

    I'll do some m2t files to see how fast it renders those out.

     

    Title Motion Pro and DV capture does not work on VISTA. Ha ha... I hear Microsoft are letting folks buy new computers with XP on them due to people complaining that VISTA not working with many things. ;)

     

    KISS

    Edited by wagsy
  17. The handling of raw m2t is something that Sony have really specialised on over the last 2 versions. The main reason I like it is simply small file size. I archive a lot of stuff to hard drives and they aren't THAT cheap here yet.

     

    I highly recommend the Dell wide monitors when you get around to it. I have the 24". The 27" or even 30" would be even better. It's so much better for judging the quality of footage than previously when I was just previewing in a half-res window on the 17" monitor, or working with DV proxies and previewing on TV. Now I can really see what's in focus and what isn't.

     

    One great thing about Vegas is that the third monitor just plugs into a regular DVI graphics card and no special hardware is required to preview on it at full resolution. Would you need some more hardware to do that with Edius?

  18. Yes storing it as m2t would be an advantage as it's the same rate as DV.

     

    I can run 3 screens, 2 being 1280/1024 using DVI, VGA, and the 3rd can be 1280/768 VGA, Svideo, component or composite. Just using the motherboards VGA port and a pci express Quadro card. If I got another twin express card I could have 5 :guiness: EDIUS does not need a special Canopus card, many others will work with it.

     

    Will get a 3rd LCD once we are settled abit more, what's the refresh rate on the DELL? does the picture look smooth on pans and stuff. Specs say 6ms.

  19. So would you get the full 1080 lines (with no resampling) from Edius to a 3rd 1920x1200 LCD over the component cable?

     

    6ms sounds right for my Dell. The picture is smooth on pans when I'm playing to it from the camera using the component cable. From Vegas over DVI pans can be a bit steppy but I'm not finding that a problem for editing. Part of that might be that I used a faster shutter on a lot of recent footage rather than ND filters. I have a choice of deinterlacing the preview in Vegas or not and at the moment I am doing that.

     

    If you're purchasing and you've got the space and budget I think the larger Dells would be great.

  20. hi wagsy,

     

    I am ready to jump to Edius within the next weeks. Right now I am working

    with the trial version and really (!!!) love it! I also tested PE4 and it is utter rubish!

     

    Because of limited budget (I dont earn money with video... :-) ) I will choose the

    Edius Neo pack. Are you aware of any limitations that will hinder me with the usual

    uw-stuff?

    Edited by mexwell
Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.