Wow, looks like every stand at DEMA needs to be documented individually as opposed to a final event overview. I don't think the sponsors will love the site any less eh? Either that or our European antics don't bode well with those 'across the pond'.
![]()
Read-only discussion
Wow, looks like every stand at DEMA needs to be documented individually as opposed to a final event overview. I don't think the sponsors will love the site any less eh? Either that or our European antics don't bode well with those 'across the pond'.
![]()
In years gone by, I used to write up a 6 to 10 page report (with URL's to vendors' websites) on the PhotoPlus Expo with each technology area grouped together, for various audiences.
If you have a pocket digicam, snapshots of interesting items will be helpful, too! ![]()
Dan -- I deleted your quote of Mark's post to make this more readable. You are replying to a message directly (with no one in between), and there is no reason to post.
Also, you know what else makes snapshots of interesting items? SLRs. Pocket digicams have nothing to do with good coverage. Any ol' digital camera will work.
Mark -- I wasn't Antibes, and no one else has the patience to do what I'm doing! Also, Antibes isn't really booth heavy. How many UW photo people were there showing their stuff?
1 report seems enough for Antibes...?
Oh yeah, for those of you who don't know what Mark is talking about, check out the front page. ![]()
there's a front page ?
Maybe you should take time from your busy schedule one year to see just how booth intensive Antibes, and other European meetings are. Housing manufacturers, which are of interest to most here I believe, were the predominant force majeur at this and many other imaging based events.Mark -- I wasn't Antibes, and no one else has the patience to do what I'm doing! Also, Antibes isn't really booth heavy. How many UW photo people were there showing their stuff?
1 report is more than enough for Antibes!
Your site, you do as you see fit. I was just remarking on the flood of news items from a SCUBA show in relation to that of one of the World leading Underwater Imaging events. Maybe I'm missing something but I would have thought the booths at events such as Antibes would have been more of an interest to photographic or video enthusiasts of an imaging based web site as opposed to news from a SCUBA gear event.
Just an observation.
Cheers,
Mark.
P.S Those jump suits! Very Jolly.
Hey Mark,
I think that is a little unfair. I think that the DEMA coverage is a great service, especially for those of us who couldn't make it.
Also I think that the Wetpixel DEMA coverage is more about covering the underwater photo/video manufacturers, rather than the show - and as many are unveiling kit there (I realise that some like Seacam had the same things at Antibes last week, but nobody from Wetpixel covered it) - it is good to be able to read about it.
If someone covered Antibes in this level of detail I am sure that Wetpixel would have given them the space. Last time Eric went to Antibes he did cover it in detail.
Alex
I'm was just airing my own opinion on a public forum.
Not wanting to incur the wrath of the 'inner circle' I think it best I bow out of this. My apologies 1000 times over.
Cheers,
Mark.
DEMA is a huge event, with lots going on, and numerous scuba diving and underwater imaging products being unveiled. The networking, booths, presentations, and participants all warrant in-depth reporting. Wetpixel's coverage is very certainly appreciated!
Likewise, after experiencing Antibes for the first time this year it strikes me that it may truly be the most international event in existence today that's geared specifically toward the work of underwater imagers--still and motion. And this is a vital event to cover and support.
May I suggest that next year, Wetpixel folks make a specific effort to cover more of what's happening at the Antibes Festival on a daily basis--the booths, the panels, the presentations, the participants, as well as the awards and the gatherings. If I can be there (which I hope I can!) I'd be happy to help out. This year I just sort of started posting to the forum with pics I had. But good coverage will take the work of a number of dedicated people.
A real-time effort to report on the happenings of the Antibes Festival, in my view, would certainly be warranted and appreciated.
And the DEMA coverage is great! Especially for those of us who cannot be there in person this year. More photos, please!
Mary Lynn
I feel very very guilty now Mary Lynn that all I wanted to do at Antibes was have some Unicum and a beer or two or three..... ! ![]()
If I'm there next year then I'll make more of an effort, as long as DeanB is not around to corrupt me or Zoe!! ![]()
Cheers, Simon
P.S Zoe's still getting over her drunken embarrasment of telling Michael Aw that he looked like Hiro off Heroes over and over and over and over.......
Wetpixel, that includes you. If you go to Antibes, or any other event for that matter, and you feel like you can contribute something and represent wetpixel, im sure something can be arranged. This is the eh.. 2000s? Next century?
Citizen journalism is king.
Eric just happens to be going to Dema, and happens to be very at ease with posting a lot of stuff
There is absolutely no hidden purpose behind that besides trying to cover Dema as best as possible.
Cor
This is a very odd thread. I would like to say that I have really enjoyed the coverage and it is really cool to see the new housings coming out
Eric,
Thank you for the show report... The (massively downsampled) pictures were enlightening, too. ![]()
Also, you know what else makes snapshots of interesting items? SLRs. Pocket digicams have nothing to do with good coverage. Any ol' digital camera will work.
I like that the complaints came from someone who actually went to Antibes (and who could have written something up for us!). But we are a (roughly) public forum, and it's no big deal to get criticism -- I've developed thick enough skin to be able to handle it.
Anyway, it's been a lot of work, and I'm glad that some of you are enjoying the coverage!
Like I said, 1000 apologies...chase it if you want....
Did Seacam really have nothing new on display apart from a pole and a remote viewfinder ?
Or are you all still recovering and there is loads more to come ?
Giles - they were also showing a new strobe and tripod. Did you read the report? ![]()
1 report seems enough for Antibes...?
I'd say so. I was Antibes from Tuesday to Sunday and had a look for the first time. Jeez I was bored, never seen anything that failed to live up to the hype in such a spectacular way.
Very nice people on the festival, but no creative inspiration to be had. Purely a local event from my point of view.
Having been with Eric at DEMA, I can say that HE IS COMMITTED, to the point that he has the walking zombie look after 2 days. I don't usually have pity for anyone but I was almost feeling sorry for Eric last year.
I think one really has to remember that Wetpixel is a contributor based service. Just so happens the people who went to Antibes didn't contribute in such detail. Is it necessary to do a booth by booth commentary at any event? To Eric, it is and he covered DEMA in that fashion. I'm sure he'd cover Antibes in the same way. I personally think highlights are all that are necessary. But I'm lazy that way.
Another problem is that Eric is based in the US, whereas Antibes is in the Côte D'Azur. It takes time and money to do each of these events, especially for someone using the US$ now.
Eric works very hard on this website but his labor of love has produced something that even gets me serious about a website and my contributions as such.
But to satiate the euro demand for thorough Antibes writeup, I'll put in a special requisition budget for next year so I can go on Eric's dime and write a detailed report... and I'll throw in a few booths for the heck of it. ![]()
Giles - they were also showing a new strobe and tripod. Did you read the report?
Read it, was just trying to portray how surprised I was that they didn't even have any prototype new housings.
I had been under the impression that they were speeding up development a little as of recent years and was expecting them to at least have a 1dmkIII & Nikon D3 or D300 offerings in some sort of at least pre-manufacture display.
Don't get me wrong .. I think their Geordi La Forge Glasses are cool .. I can't wait to see all the different uses it has start bing talked about. Just thought they may have had housings out there like most everyone else seems to have done.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.