Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Broadcast Rates?

Started by SimonSpear ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Broadcast Rates?

4 posts
  1. Hi all

     

    Without starting off a whole new thread on this didn't there used to be a sticky post on broadcast rates? I've searched and manually looked through the forum, but I couldn't find it.

     

    Also I've just found out that some footage of mine was used without permission on a regional UK broadcast. Any idea or thoughts on what I should be invoicing for this considering they have used it for want of a better work illegally. My initial thoughts are x2 or x3 standard rate.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  2. Simon

    Don't think anyone actually published their rates. For broadcast rates in the UK, I believe the Beeb publish their rates for their stock library. Best place to start.

    If you are going to sue, also find out how they got your tape and sue that guy too :P

  3. Simon, I think you mean this thread, which was about rates of pay but also sidetracked into rates for footage.

     

    There was also this thread.

     

    My footage rates are here. You could also browse some rates on www.oceanfootage.com and Getty Images to get a feel.

     

    My footage got used illegally here in Thailand earlier in the year. In the end I was happy to get my full published rate for it, but that was worldwide, perpetuity, advertising use, so it was good money. But this is Thailand. In the UK you could perhaps shoot for a "penalty" fee for misuse, knowing that legal follow-up might be a realistic proposition. But you really don't want to burn bridges. Keep it super professional but with the threat of legal action lurking between the lines of your correspondence. Save them some face at first with the "There must have been some mistake...." approach.

  4. Thanks for your input Nick and Drew.

     

    Hopefully it wont come to legal action, but you never ever know and like others have advised the threat of it is sometimes the only way to make them sit up and think. But like I said hopefully it wont come to that as there are rarely ever any winners other than the lawyers.

     

    Cheers, Simon

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.