Steve,
In a perfect world we'd all band together and fight for the rights and recognitions of our craft and those who strive to follow in such hallowed footsteps. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world. In order to crack this industry, at a professional level, you've gotta be as cut throat as the CEO's of the fortune 500's. Thats not to say there are no 'gents' in this game. Most of us at the DV / HDV format level are easy going, headstrong yet sociable people. Let's however take a moment to really understand that the format we try to kid ourselves into believing as a 'professional' one, that is HDV, is avoided like the plague by most production and broadcast companies. It just doesn't, for the most part, hold up well in post production due to the compression factor etc.
So, what then are we all striving for with this format? Personal recognition amongst our peers? Many of us here have got great footage, have the ability and understanding to manipulate bigger, more costly, cameras but is there a need for it these days? Viewing trends have changed, people prefer to watch dysfunctional families building motorbikes or a bunch of delusional would be supermodels as they cry, shriek and wobble their way to 'stardom'.
This brings us full circle to the few people out there who still appreciate and desire to diffuse marine themed imagery on Cable or private networks. These are the networks or ventures with little if any funding, the very same who approach us in the hope we will send in freebies for inclusion in their broadcasting.
I too received the letter from Michael Shishido in Hawaii. I sent the letter as pasted above. Here's his reply:
Mark:
Thanks for your reply. I completely understand your position.
What you may not understand is that Ocean Network is just a baby, really. We went live in mid February. So really, we're still in startup mode. As such, revenues on our end are limited at best. We still are compiling our seed round financing, in fact.
What we're hoping for is to find content providers who can benefit from a relationship with us early on. Our hope and goal will be to make Ocean Network not only a viable channel but a successful media venture all the way around from the cable channel to the website to mobile delivery to print and whatever else is out there. We're looking for early believers who are willing to partner with us at this level I'm speaking of. It may not be lucrative now, but in the future as we grow, we want everyone to benefit. For now, we're offering the eyeballs that we have at this point and are willing to barter our way through with the expectation that what we give up now in mentions for your enterprise can turn into profits for you.
Again, I totally understand where you're coming from. And I respect your situation. I look forward to perhaps working together in the future.
Aloha,
Michael
Michael Shishido
VP/Programming
The Ocean Network
www.oceannetwork.tv
Bringing You The World of Water
Then of course you have the very few and far between production or broadcast entities who commission such fantastic series and films as The Blue Planet or Planet Earth. Getting a gig on these productions these days comes down to who you know rather than what you know.
I'm in a similar situation at the moment in discussions to film for a very large production in Palau. The DP (Director of Photography) of the show has housing for an BVW790WSP and the camera (Sony Digital Betacam), trouble is he's a crap diver and underwater shooter but because he's the principle DP he gets to decide who shoots underwater. My involvement in the deal is being pushed on the executive producers by a friend who knows of my work, who knows I have the stock for their B Roll needs and the knowledge of the area, and an ability to get what they need. All of that doesn't wash with the DP. He's ranting and raving at the execs to keep it all 'in house' etc. Thats what people are up against.
I think, and this is not an attack on anyone here, that we, myself included, are guilty of believing that the HDV format allows us to assume we have a claim to be considered as 'Pro Shooters'. Given this format, I don't consider myself to be a 'Pro' in the true sense of the word. Yes I make a living at this but anyone could if they choose to. Working with a dive shop doing this work allows you to collect stock, it allows you to dive everyday but shouldn't make you to think that you are anything greater than a dive shop videographer. Its a job I love doing, but its also a job that I fully understand is responsible for stagnating any ambitions of grandeur in the World of underwater filming and filmmaking.
I could go on and on but I guess you get my drift. Its a tough call to decide where you're at, what you're doing and what the path to follow is. I guess we can only hope that we live to make the best decisions open to us, the best decisions that allow us to continue in whatever avenue of underwater imaging we feel is best suited to our goals and ambitions. I just don't think, for me, that I'm gonna find what I'm looking for in the dive shop scenario.
Cheers,
Mark.