Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Selling films...Submissions Requests...undercutting...ect

Started by Steve Douglas ·

  • 67Posts
  • 67Replies

Read-only discussion

Selling films...Submissions Requests...undercutting...ect

67 posts
  1. Just checked out a couple of shark clips on there and they worked out at just a couple of dollars per second for DV, and that's royalty free, not rights managed. Cheap indeed.
    And therein lies the problem!

     

    Do what you can to sell your images but you will always be up against this kind of stiff competition. I know people are going to argue the quality issue but when it boils down to it these days the argument that wins hands down, without a doubt, is the financial one.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  2. Hey my 007 fees are $95.01 per second... but you can buy me dinner instead. :)

    There's a place on Soi Nanai that does a good kow pad gai. The pleasure will be mine.

  3. Just checked out a couple of shark clips on there and they worked out at just a couple of dollars per second for DV, and that's royalty free, not rights managed. Cheap indeed.

     

    Well royalty free goes for volume. Specialty shots have obviously a higher price. I mean, if we all have the same shot of that reef shark, of course the price will be lower, regardless of quality. That's why people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to shoot spectacular stuff. Then there's the little guy with a MP4 phone camera who catches the Orca vs great white clip... sigh

     

    There's a place on Soi Nanai that does a good kow pad gai. The pleasure will be mine.

     

    I was thinking about Supper Club in Bang Tao. What a cheapo!

  4. The barter system works as well, we have got coming from Pioneer Australia a Blu_Ray burner in exchange for them to use our DVD in their media packs. :)

  5. Speaking of selling rates and such, have many of you been selling completed videos & for how much? How long? To whom? Real stories/documentaries or just some cool shots with music gluing them together or ?

     

    Am I hearing that there's more of a market for stock footage than for completed videos? Or is it just the particular mix of people commenting on this topic?

  6. I sell a DVD of my best standard definition stuff, Reef Life of the Andaman. Info and prices are on that page. To be honest it's really hard work. I've only managed about a 1000 of them between the net, dive shops and liveaboard customers over 2 and a half years. Wags seems to be do a lot better with his Ningaloo DVD. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Probably just not spending enough time marketing it.

     

    It did sell 30,000 copies in Spain however in the news-stand market. Nice deal even though the royalty was small.

  7. I have two volumes Ocean Dreams vol.1 and Ocean Dreams vol.2 compiled using the best of my SD stock. Each DVD has two films giving a combined run time of about one hour. With a comprehensive menu structure giving information on the films, my background and information on Palau I think, and I've been told, its a steal for $35 per DVD or $30 each if the buyer buys both.

     

    My main gig comes from selling films, dailies, to divers in Palau and so to entice them for a complete project I also have each of the four films that appear on the generic DVD's ready to drag and drop as 'Bonus Materials' for the daily films. I normally charge an additional $10 for eash bonus feature.

     

    Stock footage wise I don't shift as much as I would like. I have sold some to production and broadcast peeps but still not as much as I thought I should. Seeing as I have over 300 hours, only the good stuff, of my old DV stock now collecting dust I'm starting to look for other diffusion possibilities for it. Lots of delivery platforms these days and Wags is also looking into that I take it, as per his recent postings. I also have over 100 hours of good HDV stock and so far few inquiries for stock.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.