Thanks Craig for infusing a much needed 'other' side. I'll admit I added that "don't get caught" line because of a few people I know who may be reading this will get a chuckle. Removed it now.
.... with photo pro behavior. It's OK to drill holes in the reef, to bust off coral that's in the way, to bring pruning shears on the dive, to dynamite passages for your boat, because you're getting paid. Amateurs should observe a no-touch policy, however. Why is the explosion of digital photographers to blame for reef damage? Is it amateurs that caused the seafans in Lembeh to be lopsided? What made a small collection of photographers entitled to tear up the reefs but a larger number suddenly be burdened with conservation?
I do think the issue is how much the reef can bear as pressure from the diving community. We aren't suppose to be there but we are, and being in the community of underwater imagery nuts, limited form of interaction is expected.
That said, having seen pygmy seahorses fall off their perch from being strobed too many times or 5000 lumens of video light illumination, I tend to err on the side of caution. Of course, there are some sealife are more resilient than others to strobes. With nudies for instance, you'd run out of battery before you could affect the nudi with strobes (bashing them with the strobes however...)
I don't think pros should be given carte blanche. They should be bound by the same rules as anyone else. I had this conversation with several conservationist experts from NGOs in Indonesia. At a dive site like the Liberty in Bali or the Yongala in Oz, they believe if every diver broke coral and killed the subject to get the shot, it'd have an adverse effect as there are over 100 divers diving that site daily.
However if one finds themselves in Lucipara in the Banda Sea or the Rowley Shoals in Oz, which sees a dive boat probably 10 times a year. Then that sort of behavior is more easily masked by normal reef activity and not AS destructive. That said, I saw remnants of the damage a certain reef walker did to a certain not often dived site in Raja Empat 2 years after he was there. One person can do a lot if they lose themselves into the photography alone.
Perspective and common sense is key. If the Crayon Ponyfish (Zissou fan
) went extinct because someone killed it taking 300 shots of it in various manipulated (prodded) poses, it'd be a shame.
For myself, I've found squat lobsters, crinoid shrimps and other hiders out in clearer view without flipping anything but my camera on switch. It's absolutely a once or twice in a lifetime sort of thing but it does happen. Would it be as nice as prodding the crinoid open or even tearing off a few arms to get at it? Probably not.
Baiting a shark is modeling a subject, so why is it acceptable to chum-troll sharks and publish the images.....People are free to believe that pros are getting all their perfect perspectives through patience but I don't.
To be fair, some of the best natural behavior shots were done by weeks and months of sitting around getting sunburn. The easiest example to come to mind is Doug Perrine's sharks in baitball shots. All natural behavior, bait supplied by nature and conditions supplied by Allah/Karma/luck. Personally, shark baited pics are boring. There is no real behavior other than biting. A cleaning station shot is more appealing to me than a tiger chasing a tuna head, only because it's simulated. Still, the shark isn't being prodded to perform and unlike cage diving, the shark doesn't lose teeth biting on the cage. Feeding behavior modification is another topic for another thread
Another example is Alex Mustard's WPOTY winner. I doubt Alex could poke those fish into frame even if he wanted to. Just patience, skill and a bit of luck.
Julie's recent cover, in another current thread, consists of children swimming down to the camera. That's a modelled shot, too. Is it bad because of that? Of course not. Photographers frequently model their shots and it's a good thing.
Anyone diving off a pier or jetty near a populated island with kids will have that opportunity. I don't think Julie paid the kid to pose (although as the kid's agent, I'm writing to her for residuals on whatever she's made so far, sorry Julie
). In fact, the best kids in the water pics I've seen was taken by a friend when we were all blown off a dive site and wandered into a pier where 20 kids were cannonballing off it. Once again, luck and circumstances beats out staging. Pity the kids were mostly naked and he doesn't dare keep the pics on his computer when going through the US for fear of being arrested for possessing child porn. Ok I may have instilled that fear into him. 
As Craig says, the reality is that macro and reef photography requires some sort of interaction. I think the philosophy of leave nothing but bubbles approach is more to do with the expectation of human beings to do things because they can. This of course is annoying to individuals who think it's arbitrary and restricting. There are enough bozos who do enough damage to warrant discussions like these. In a perfect world, there wouldn't be war either, but someone always manages to start one (hmmm sorta like this thread). It is also completely human to want to get the best pic, so more than a few photographers push the envelope.
Picture this scenario: Photographer A thinks: Everyone has a shot of a benthic Crayon Ponyfish, I want one with the sun in the background, opps it died cos I poked and stressed it too much. Ah well, got the shot.
Photographer B thinks: hmmm A has the sunball Crayon Ponyfish, I want a double Crayon Ponyfish. 2 more dead.
And it goes on. Yes my example is almost moronic but you get the idea and you know it's not that far off either.
Preventing someone from damaging stuff isn't a right but it's not a bad thing either. I've had strangers pull me off a subject because I was unknowingly damaging something. I'm sure all of us have been so engrossed in taking the shot that we unknowingly (or uncaringly) do something silly. I personally welcome being told (nicely please) that I'm being a moron (and I again apologize to the kind lady whom I swore at for doing so
)