Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Manipulation of subjects for the shot.

Started by Drew ·

  • 127Posts
  • 127Replies

Read-only discussion

Manipulation of subjects for the shot.

127 posts
  1. I have an image that shows a hand of a well known dive guide firmly gripping / peeling back a seafan to give a photographer ( also well known ) a better shot of a pygmy seahorse.

     

    I thought it was a little extreme but accepted the guide was well experienced and something of an expert on the subject matter that was being peeled and folded into cooperation.

     

    I also observed that the fan appeared to be no worse the wear for the experience and that the pygmy was so happy to see the next photographer he posed and modeled just like before.

     

    m 2 cents

  2. Chopsticks were good enough for Larry Smith.

  3. I have an image that shows a hand of a well known dive guide firmly gripping / peeling back a seafan to give a photographer ( also well known ) a better shot of a pygmy seahorse.

     

    I thought it was a little extreme but accepted the guide was well experienced and something of an expert on the subject matter that was being peeled and folded into cooperation.

     

    I also observed that the fan appeared to be no worse the wear for the experience and that the pygmy was so happy to see the next photographer he posed and modeled just like before.

     

    m 2 cents

     

    did you go back two years later? did you notice that the coral had died from being handled even though it wasn't broken on the day? did you notice that daily interference with the pygmy had interrupted its courtship behaviour and it hadn't bred for a few seasons? many things we affect happen with time, and aren't immediately obvious, but the overall effect might be worse.

  4. :P

    One of my greatest worries, as a photographer, is how multiple assaults with a strobe affects the retinas of creatures that don't have eyelids to protect their eyes or pupils that adjust to rapid light changes. I see fellow photogs taking dozens of pics of the same critter. I always limit myself in the numbers I take.

    I would hate to think that I may have blinded critters, assuring their deaths.

    As far as gentile manipulation. I will. Those of you who say "absolutely NOT..." Have you ever picked up a frog, turtle, insect? You weren't too worried at stressing them? Are they any less fragile? I gently pick them up, examine them, and gently put them back down. They don't seem to need therapy afterwards.

    Edited by AllisonFinch
  5. :ninja:

     

    THAT"S FUNNY!!!

    I've been lucky enough to have had a delightful encounter with an octo. It perched on my arm, flushed a happy blue color as I was stroking it. It lightly explored all my gear, curious if any was edible, I guess. After about 20 minutes of mutual admiration, it slowly left my arm and resumed its quest.

    Edited by AllisonFinch
  6. When I was in Indonesia and wanted to photograph a unique subject (i.e. pygmy's, squats, crinoid shrimp) I simply asked a guide. He then gently used chopsticks to assist me in getting the shots I wanted. I view this as a lot more proactive towards doing the right thing than trying to either do it all myself or use my wife (who has no experience in animal manipulation). I would have caused a lot more damage and critter stress than doing it the slow, gentle way and using an experienced buddy. Did I ultimately manipulate? Yes. Did I show concern for what I might have done if I didn't ask for help? Yes. Is this, in itself, acceptable? I say yes, but am sure I'll get flamed by some of you....isn't this shit fun?

     

    Joe

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.