Thanks for the info Wagsy...
I've just come across this interesting discussion on another Forum titled:
"50i HDV on Playstation 3 - it works!!"
http://sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=10642
Note that its 50i...which is good for us Pal users.
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Started by TheRealDrew ·
Read-only discussion
Thanks for the info Wagsy...
I've just come across this interesting discussion on another Forum titled:
"50i HDV on Playstation 3 - it works!!"
http://sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=10642
Note that its 50i...which is good for us Pal users.
Well thats great.
He He... and he used EDIUS ![]()
Porn???? how did that dictate formats... Jes I didn't think they has that much power in the market, I must have had a sheltered life!
As Wags said believe Blu Ray will be a pain in the arse for a while until prices drop etc to do it properly
US porn studio and HD-DVD camp in divorce row
CNET Asia Jan 14, 2008
It's one blow after another for the Toshiba-lead HD-DVD consortium. This time round, it's California-based Digital Playground Inc. turning its back on the red camp. A recent statement released by the pornographic movie studio indicated a possible Blu-ray switch by end 2008. This was revealed in an interview between the company founder and a German Website Heise online during the AVN Adult Entertainment Expo 2008.
Among the reasons cited were the Warner coup and higher Digital Playground Blu-ray title sales volume against their equivalent HD-DVD offerings. The latter was said to be attributed to PlayStation 3 gaming console's success, though it's still facing resistance from Sony on distributing pornography on Blu-ray, understandably with Walt Disney Pictures onboard. It has since worked around this issue by collaborating with independent Blu-ray disc manufacturers.
Porn???? how did that dictate formats... Jes I didn't think they has that much power in the market, I must have had a sheltered life!
Oh, it dictates much more than formats. eCommerce is where it is today because of the Porn industry. No doubt about that. Same with eMail, eMail marketing, cookie tracking, internet security and much more.
Porn has a huge influence on technology - never under estimate that.
As an aside - consumers liked VHS more because it had two windows and looked more like the familiar cassette than the one window beta.
Also never doubt the impact of style over substance.
---
Ken
Also never doubt the impact of style over substance.
Well lets face t thats why the ipod is so popular... looks good.
I merged the 2 threads.
Smart move Drew, I should have posted it as part of the other. I did not know that AVN was separating from HD but was told that Blue Ray license holders had some sort of ban of the Adult industry. Therefore, who knows where the AI folk will go. More and more people are dumping their VHS machines and the AI will have to go someplace. As was said, never underestimate their future influence upon the HD vs Blue Ray public leanings.
Steve B)
I just bought a used 80GB PS3 for my rental home. I can finally watch all those silly BluRay titles I've been given in the last 6 mths. Spiderman trilogy...woohoo... wonder when Gaumont and Canal Plus will start making those discs with good movies.
I have a different take on the disc war. Think about this: Discs may be history soon as download movies push into the market. This format war is not like tape wars of the 70s - there was no other way - Beta of VHS. It was porn in dead that made that decision. If they do it again they will pick the cheapest, just as they did years ago, because money not quality rules them. Hey, an oxymoron: Quality Porn! I wonder if the consumer market will embrace a new device, or just move quickly to download movies? We have Apple TV download clips available on our site. I don't have Apple TV, but those who do say the H.264 is so good. iTunes playback full screen is awesome on a 30" Cinema display. could it overtake both disc formats? Wouldn't that be great for us?
Just my thoughts.
Regards,
I spend so much time on my computer writing and editing that the last thing I want to do is spend time at the computer watching movies. That's what my home theater is for.
Steve
I spend so much time on my computer writing and editing that the last thing I want to do is spend time at the computer watching movies. That's what my home theater is for.Steve
But they will be downloaded quickly via FIOS, Cable and Apple TV to watch in the home theater ![]()
I actually heard a rumour that here in Oz they have had to release the US TV shows directly after or at the same time as the US due to people downloading them because they couldn't wait and ratings were falling.
I reckon that people are getting getting very used to downloading TV shows, films etc...
Drew,
Don't know much about downloaded movies. Do they download with the same 5.1 audio channels as well as the actual picture resolution? In my case, my editing bay is on one side of the house and the home theater room is completely on the other....I would think that would be a problem, no?
Steve B)
Drew,Don't know much about downloaded movies. Do they download with the same 5.1 audio channels as well as the actual picture resolution? In my case, my editing bay is on one side of the house and the home theater room is completely on the other....I would think that would be a problem, no?
Steve B)
Steve this has some details on the rentals and size http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/more-de...vie-hd-rentals/, some have 5.1 and the resolution is lower. It is only a matter of time though before this increases I would guess even based on how much iTunes movies have increased. Not sure of the specs of FIOs or others.
With streaming and WiFi being relatively fast having the bay on one side of the house to the other should not be too painful.
Personally I think HD DVD and blu-ray will ultimately be too late to dominate like SD DVD did when people went over from VHS. They still have a shot if prices drop quickly enough for the players and the titles (and the drops have been nice) but at this point (other than the fact I like toys) I would buy an Apple TV for myself and call it a day (which is of course tempered by the fact that I do have a HD DVD Player and can burn discs to play
).
Thanks for the info Drew, are the discs you are burning true HD discs? They aren't code protected to prevent you from copying? Can I send you a list of movies I would like to have for you to burn?;-)
Actually, when it comes to movies, I think the discreet channels of the audio, especially on action movies, is just as important as what you see. Would hate to sacrifice that part of a movie. I have a fairly high end home theater and used to sell hi end audio so it is still a part of my DNA awareness.
Steve B)
Thanks for the info Drew, are the discs you are burning true HD discs? They aren't code protected to prevent you from copying? Can I send you a list of movies I would like to have for you to burn?;-)
LOL. Not true HD DVD in terms of the specifications/full blown authoring but using DVD SP and Compressor and it does it darn nice job considering (this is my own stuff. LOL) If you want me to burn you movies I will not do that (unless you PM me of course.
JOKING JOKING JOKING to anyone else who may see that.)
Actually, when it comes to movies, I think the discreet channels of the audio, especially on action movies, is just as important as what you see. Would hate to sacrifice that part of a movie. I have a fairly high end home theater and used to sell hi end audio so it is still a part of my DNA awareness.Steve B)
Audio is key for so many things, no denying that at all. I would hazard to bet that most people on this board have audio wired in their DNA to some degree, just another part of the cool lights, diodes, toys syndrome. It is strange but I never really got around to setting up a true home theater nor have had a true decent stereo set-up in quite awhile. One day I may get around to doing that once I can find a room to do it in. You using analog components at all? Know some people who have put the high end crazy stereo stuff in and they sit there discussing the tubes in their pre-amps forever ![]()
My guess is it will not be long before all of it is 5.1 downloads. If it is only some of the titles now, probably due to trying to convert things properly. Though the rumor mill predicted the download rentals from Apple, my guess is they tried to keep it somewhat low key on who knew for real and was involved in negotiations and prepping the material.
Both Blu-Ray and HD DVD seem obsolete to me. Now that iTunes rentals are 720p with 5.1 sound why bother with a physical (eco unfriendly) disc?
I think that is the way it's going.
Both Blu-Ray and HD DVD seem obsolete to me. Now that iTunes rentals are 720p with 5.1 sound why bother with a physical (eco unfriendly) disc?I think that is the way it's going.
I think Hollywood may have missed the boat as well.
Everyone will be downloading.
Amazing codec.
And some more nails getting hammered
Sonic dropping HD DVD from its authoring system.
Wal-Mart dropping HD DVD and going with blu ray. Best Buy and Netflix
and this,
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...51ac47ca5d?pn=2
Toshiba is gonna pull the plug it looks like
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.