Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Adobe AfterEffects CS3 users on Mac- DO NOT upgrade Quicktime to 7.4

Started by Drew ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

Adobe AfterEffects CS3 users on Mac- DO NOT upgrade Quicktime to 7.4

32 posts
  1. I just updated QT 7.4 on a spare machine for kicks and used AE CS3 as a render farm. It crashes 10 minutes into the render. Of course I didn't bother to research before upgrading. Apparently QT 7.4 has issues with Premiere Pro and AEFX CS3. Several forums have reported problems with the update.

     

    Creative Cow AEFX QT problem

    Apple Discussion Forum on the same problem.

     

    Sigh. beta tester anyone?

  2. I just updated QT 7.4 on a spare machine for kicks and used AE CS3 as a render farm. It crashes 10 minutes into the render. Of course I didn't bother to research before upgrading. Apparently QT 7.4 has issues with Premiere Pro and AEFX CS3. Several forums have reported problems with the update.

     

    Creative Cow AEFX QT problem

    Apple Discussion Forum on the same problem.

     

    Sigh. beta tester anyone?

     

    You wanna hear something funny? A buddy of mine who came over lat night to upgrade his MacBookPro to Final Cut Studio 2 just called me. He shot with the Red One out in Dubai a few weeks ago and called to tell me that the Red is not compatible with the newest version of quicktime. Any idea how to downgrade quicktime on a mac?

     

    Billy

  3. You wanna hear something funny? A buddy of mine who came over lat night to upgrade his MacBookPro to Final Cut Studio 2 just called me. He shot with the Red One out in Dubai a few weeks ago and called to tell me that the Red is not compatible with the newest version of quicktime. Any idea how to downgrade quicktime on a mac?

     

    Billy

     

     

    Rollback Quicktime Has methods. Poked around but could not find a rollback installer for the 7.x. There was actually one that Apple released for one the 6.x versions because of issues that one update had. Hopefully Apple will jump on this one quickly to get it straightened out.

  4. I always say if there is nothing broken, you don't mess with a production machine. Leave it until the software forces you to upgrade for certain features. Usually it's just more trouble than benefit.

  5. I always say if there is nothing broken, you don't mess with a production machine. Leave it until the software forces you to upgrade for certain features. Usually it's just more trouble than benefit.

     

     

    Yup. One of my main machines is running 10.4.5 still for just that reason and I keep another old stable tower with 10.3.9. I do the throw the new OS on a laptop or new hard drive myself. Of course with all the loading of the software again it can be a pain, and there was the one time when I erased the drive after I did the new OS dance because I was not fond of it and forgot to deauthorize the Adobe software. :D:excl:

     

    BTW how did you like AE CS3 otherwise?

  6. I always say if there is nothing broken, you don't mess with a production machine. Leave it until the software forces you to upgrade for certain features. Usually it's just more trouble than benefit.

     

    Yeah I never should have put Leopard on my MacPro. At least should have done a format install. I'm going to do it, I've just been putting it off for a while now. It's a dreaded thing when you've got that much stuff to reinstall. I think the worst part is reinstalling all those FCP plugins that I NEVER use. I've got some morphing ones that are fun to mess with but for the most part pretty useless.

     

    BTW I launched AE CS3 the other night and it quit on me after opening an old project, I guess this is why.

     

    Billy

    Edited by Empty V
  7. Download QT 7.3 again and then follow these steps.

    1 - download pacifist ( http://www.charlessoft.com/ )

    2 - run pacifist & choose "open package"

    3 - choose the QT 7.3 pkg

    4 - choose "install"

    5 - during installation a requester will appear, asking whether you want to "replace this file" (or words to that effect)

    click "replace" and tick the box so you wont be asked for each file. you can also set this in the in the pacifist preferences.

    6 - make a coffee

    7 - whole process took less than 10 minutes

    8 - then I restarted, safeboot, repaired permissions, restarted again and all has been well ever since.

  8. Download QT 7.3 again and then follow these steps.

    1 - download pacifist ( http://www.charlessoft.com/ )

    2 - run pacifist & choose "open package"

    3 - choose the QT 7.3 pkg

    4 - choose "install"

    5 - during installation a requester will appear, asking whether you want to "replace this file" (or words to that effect)

    click "replace" and tick the box so you wont be asked for each file. you can also set this in the in the pacifist preferences.

    6 - make a coffee

    7 - whole process took less than 10 minutes

    8 - then I restarted, safeboot, repaired permissions, restarted again and all has been well ever since.

     

    Thanks Steve that worked like a charm. They were talking about the same procedure on the Red forums as well. Much faster solution than having to do a recovery install. I finally got to see some of his footage today and I gotta say, the Red One looks good but not mind blowing. I guess they also had some difficulties while shooting with it too.

     

    Billy

    Edited by Empty V
  9. Wait until you hear the outrageous price a certain manufacturer will be asking for the manual housing they are making for it.

    Steve B)

  10. Rumour I heard from someone who knows someone who knows someone else was that DeepRed was coming in around $18k. That what you heard Steve?

     

    Cheers, Simon

  11. Heard it was more !!!! but i think at £9,500 thats enough..:@(

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  12. Heard it was more !!!! but i think at £9,500 thats enough..:@(

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

     

     

    Do we need to change the fund raiser from send Dean to dive in warm waters to Dean needs a RED?

  13. :):P

     

    Make it an off shoot charity... I need warm water and decent gear....

     

    Come on you miserable B#*@ards dig deep and feel good about yourselves :guiness:

     

    You know you want to

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB...

  14. :P:guiness:

     

    Make it an off shoot charity... I need warm water and decent gear....

     

    Come on you miserable B#*@ards dig deep and feel good about yourselves :guiness:

     

    You know you want to

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB...

     

     

    Maybe a variation on the charities. You buy the RED and housing and the primary charity can scrounge up airfare (coach of course) so you can carry it over to someplace warm and let us all play with it. We will even throw in a :) (just one, after that it is on you.) Of course we will not feel quite as good as fully digging into our pockets, but the guilt will fall by the wayside when we get a chance to shoot footage with a RED. Not that we would forget about you and the overall mission of the charity of course, who knows, we can even let you shoot some :guiness:

  15. Hey I'll join in on this charity! Dean you go buy a RED and housing and I'll gladly pay for your airfare to deliver it to me in Indonesia or Palau or someplace as long as it's not PNG as the airfare there is a little steep from London!! :)

     

    Let me know when it's all delivered and we'll book some flights up!! :P

     

    Cheers, Simon

  16. This sounds great....

     

    Also i can clean your houses and do the washing pay your tax bills and take a dump for you whenever your to busy....

     

    Join here:

     

    www.deanthesuckerletsalltakethepiss.net/he'llneverknow

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  17. Also i can clean your houses and do the washing pay your tax bills and take a dump for you whenever your to busy....

     

    www.deanthesuckerletsalltakethepiss.net/he'llneverknow

     

     

    This is working out better than I thought in my wildest imagination. I am happy for you Dean. I will ask people to hold off on fiber in their diet though since we do not want to tax you too much.

  18. Cheers Drew..your a real star...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  19. I was given a price closer to 25,000....ouch. I may have to sell the wife and dogs...well, maybe not the dogs.

    Steve B)

  20. I may have to sell the wife and dogs...well, maybe not the dogs.

    Steve B)

     

     

    LOL. I like the way you think Steve. Make a deal with you, if you do not tell my wife I just posted that, I weon't your wife your post which required my reply :D

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.