Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Looking for ideas/tips - night dive photos

Started by vetdiver ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Looking for ideas/tips - night dive photos

23 posts
  1. All -

     

    As always, must preface this post wth apologies for my unfettered ignorance about the ways and means of UW photography. Any advice/ideas would be very appreciated!

     

    Most of my dives are done before dawn or after sunset (and done in the macro-laden sand pit that is San Diego's La Jolla Shores), so I almost always have a 50 mm lens on my camera. Last night, we found ourselves in the middle of a huge "Squid Run" here, literally THOUSANDS of squid - I managed a few neat shots with my standard 50 mm macro lens (even one that I am pretty proud of), but I am keen to go back tonight to capture it differently...I may be out of luck, but there is still a full moon, so I am hoping for a repeat performance.

     

    Of course, it will be dark - which just seems sort of not good for WA. I have a Canon EF 10-22 mm lens and was planning to set it at 22 mm, then place my strobes (2 DS125's) as if for macro, near the housing, but with the strobes pointed out, sort of "close up-wide angle"-esque. God knows there were so many squid last night that the "close up" part would have been easy!!!

     

    I bought this rig specifically for UW photography and never bought a standard zoom lens - I have the 50 and 100 mm macros and the 10-22 mm WA. Any suggestions? Comments? Ideas?

     

    Thanks so much in advance, and happy and safe diving to all.

  2. squid run! cool!

     

    if its anything like the photos i have seen of Howard Hall then it is literally crawling with squid.

     

    Can you use the zoom ring to vary focal length? I am thinking a variety of 10 -15 and 22 mm would be quite useful as opposed to just leaving it on 22. Also, 10mm will give you a closer and sharper focus than at 22. You could always crop after (ooo, i just said crop hehe) but your close focus will def be better in 10-16mm region than at 22.

     

    Yes, close focus lighting is what you would be looking for as i am thinking you can get right into the squid? Have fun!

  3. If you were shooting Nikon I would suggest the 17-55. Maybe a 24-70??

  4. Wow, thanks for the replies, guys - and so fast!!

     

    Mike - nope, I am still adjusting to the acute pain of upgrading to dSLR, so I am stuck with what I choose ahead of time. I agree about the focusing, though, didn't think of that (and YES, right smack in the middle of them...it was absolutely amazing). Sounds like you think it would be better to go towards the wider part of my lens. I was a bit worried that my strobes wouldn't be able to cover that in the dark, but if there are as many beasts as last night, it might not be an issue.

     

    (CROP? Heresy!)

     

    Dave - No, my friend, I am a Canon girl, all the way. But thanks for the reply, anyways. :)

  5. Would you be willing to post a few pics? :)

  6. i would say 12mm should be perfect.

     

    Also, shutter at least 125 or 160 to freeze the action

  7. Mike - thanks again.

     

    Bartusderidder - Here is the only pic I did anything with yesterday - I ddn't even see the egg when I took the shot. Be kind to the silly newbie!!! Hopeully, there will BE something to take a pic of tonight - believe me, the Shores with a WA setup on most days is a laughable proposition, even WITH ambient light.

     

    squidwithegg2.jpg

    Edited by vetdiver
  8. That is not a shot of a "silly newbie". Most wouldn't think of getting in the cold pacific in Jan. before dawn to get an image. Congratulations on a great shot! :) Lighting looks very nice from what I can make out on the image size. Composition is great too. Playing with the WA at close focus sounds like fun. Go for it! Might try pointing your strobes outboard a little and keep them close to the housing.

     

    Steve

  9. Be kind to the silly newbie!!!

     

    Hello "Vetdiver" (sorry, don't know your real name),

     

    Thank you for that great picture indeed !

     

    Looking forward to seeing more squid (and other) pictures :-)

     

    Best regards,

     

    Bartus

  10. Bartus (and Steve) - Thanks - that really means a lot. Here are the two I like best from last night - I didn't get many, as I had some - um - buddy issues. We tried to discourage a nonphotographer (and new-to-the-cold-water-diver to boot) from accompanying us into the driving rain for the run last night, but she insisted, and I wound up having to pay more attention to her than squid. I am headed back out before dawn tomorrow morning...hopefully, they will still be out!

     

    Criticism, ideas, any comments? The lighting was not easy, and my Fisheye flooded (DEAD FOR GOOD. Anyone want to buy my backup battery and charger?? I'm going LED!!), so I wound up having to hold my canister light handle "just so" to help my camera focus. Also, they kept going ater the port and strobes, so it was hard to get the ones in front lit!!!

     

    squidrun7Jan08.jpg

     

    squidrunJan08.jpg

     

    this one is not my favorite picture, but it does show DENSITY!!

     

    squidrun4Jan08.jpg

     

     

    Allison

  11. I would suggest you try the Sigma 15mm fisheye. It will let you get really close (can almost focus on the dome) and still get a fairly wide field of view.

     

    Cheers

    James

  12. I would suggest you try the Sigma 15mm fisheye. It will let you get really close (can almost focus on the dome) and still get a fairly wide field of view.

     

    Hi James,

     

    I have been seeing lots of recommendations for the Sigma 15mm FE lens. I recently bought a Nikon 16mm FE lens. I'm wondering if the Nikon can also be recommended for similar shots and if the two lenses (Sigma 15mm and Nikon 16mm) are comparable for uw WA shots.

     

    Thanks.

     

    Ellen

  13. Yeah, they're pretty much interchangeable. The Sigma does focus a bit closer, but not a noticeable difference.

     

    James

  14. I would suggest you try the Sigma 15mm fisheye. It will let you get really close (can almost focus on the dome) and still get a fairly wide field of view.

     

    Well, as much as I'd LOVE to go out and buy more lenses right now, it is going to have to wait a while!!!! When I bought the 10-22 mm lens, I was thinking more of an upcoming trip (Revillagigedos) and not a kazillion squid bouncing off my dome port (seriously, if you took your hand off one of the handles attached to your housing??? You had to be careful not to squish any squid when you put your hand back. They were all over our faces, everywhere)!! The next time I'm looking for a new lens, though, I'll be sure to take a look - I would really like a fisheye, and this looks like it has an incredible minimum focal distance. Thanks!

  15. wow! that is some squid! you did a good job. i want to go! (cept you said it was cold so i won't go... :P ) The first shot has very cool comp with that one out front, and the density in that last shot.. wow!

     

    James, when she mentioned flooded fisheye, that was the spotting light, not a lens.. :)

  16. That top shot is really neat! If you can get in again with a really wide angle you should get some amazing shots with so many squid in the water. Can you get ahead of them so they are swimming at you rather than across?

  17. Bartus (and Steve) - Thanks - that really means a lot. Here are the two I like best from last night - I didn't get many, as I had some - um - buddy issues. We tried to discourage a nonphotographer (and new-to-the-cold-water-diver to boot) from accompanying us into the driving rain for the run last night, but she insisted, and I wound up having to pay more attention to her than squid. I am headed back out before dawn tomorrow morning...hopefully, they will still be out!

     

    Criticism, ideas, any comments? The lighting was not easy, and my Fisheye flooded (DEAD FOR GOOD. Anyone want to buy my backup battery and charger?? I'm going LED!!), so I wound up having to hold my canister light handle "just so" to help my camera focus. Also, they kept going ater the port and strobes, so it was hard to get the ones in front lit!!!

     

    squidrun7Jan08.jpg

     

    squidrunJan08.jpg

     

    this one is not my favorite picture, but it does show DENSITY!!

     

    squidrun4Jan08.jpg

    Allison

     

     

    Wow, looks like its really picked up!! I went out about 2 weeks ago to try and get some shots but aside from being nipped at by all the seal lions nothing good. Not nearly as many...you could still see through them anyway...

     

     

    whats the matter (other)Mike? 'fraid of 50* water?

     

     

    I'm going to agree with everyone else on the 15mm but you'd better hurry, they'll (the squid) will only be around for another week or so...then they'll all be dead (you can still take pictures though...just not as exciting...)

  18. Hi A., those are some great shots!

     

    Cor

  19. whats the matter (other)Mike? 'fraid of 50* water?

     

     

    Simple answer? Yes :)

     

    NOt so simple: had enough of that in Vancouver so got smart and left.. :(

  20. Hi A., those are some great shots!

     

    Cor

     

    Cor -

     

    Thanks - and thank YOU and Julie - you guys are the ones who first really inspired me!!

     

    Allison

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.