Eric
Just to check with you. You tried the Panasonic Frame Rate converter and it didn't do anything? If I remember correctly In FCP 5, there was a bug that you had to export the clip you want converted to another project before you could get the FRC to work. I remember I've seen 60P converted to 23.98 using this converter. I can't test FCP6 since I have no .MXF files here.
I forgot Cinema Tools:
1. Import into Cinema Tools
2 Conform the clip to 23.98fps.
The easiest way is to use the DVCPro Frame Rate Converter. The other way is to import the 60P clip in a 24P sequence, time map the clip at 40% and disable frame blending(this is a subjective preference, try it either way). If you don't like that result, then try the other methods I mentioned. Frame blending MUST BE on for AE.
Also try Twixtor from Revision. Probably the best solution for easiness.
Wags
Edius does the same thing with DVCPRO HD as FCP does. It can take any 720P clip which used the VFR function on camera. However, when you have 60fps clips and want to view them at 23.98fps, the same applies. You still have to use the Frame Rate Converter.
FCP does DVCPro HD realtime as well and I think the P2 interface from FCP is more integrated than any other NLE (mainly because Panasonic worked with Apple for this purpose).