Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Times Are A Changing

Started by wagsy ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Times Are A Changing

24 posts
  1. I remember in 2003 it took our old PC Pentium 500 over 14 hours to encode out a 60 minute DVD MPEG 2 file from a DV 4.3 timeline.

     

    Now it's 2008

    2.4Ghz QUAD PC overclocked to run at 3.2 Ghz.

     

    I just endcoded out a 40 min DVD MPEG2 with AC3 audio from a mixed DV 16.9, 4.3, HDV timeline in 8 minutes flat. The timeline had many graphics as well. ;)

     

    Gee I wonder how they will be in another 5 years.

     

    post-4240-1203937569_thumb.jpg

  2. Wow. I need a new computer!

     

    Alex

  3. Well Alex here is some more.

     

    With Photoshop CS3 it takes 1 second for a RAW pic from my D70 to open up into the Camera RAW 4 adjuster then it will take 1 more second to open into CS3 from that.

     

    A 936 meg, 9520/14244 @ 300 DPI multilayered PSD file wall poster I made a couple years back now opens up in just 8 seconds :)

     

    Trying out After Effects next with 1440/1080 HDV.

    Edited by wagsy
  4. OKAY here is some more.

     

    After Effects CS3

    I'm only running 2 GIG of ram overclocked.

     

    1. Input Canopus HQ 1440/1080 codec.

    Placed two clips in pips.

    Rendered it out to a Canopus HQ 1440/1080 clip to go back into my HDV timeline.

    The 30 second clip took 63 seconds to render out.

     

    2. Input Canopus DV 720/576 codec.

    Placed two clips in pips.

    Rendered it out to a Canopus DV file to go back into my DV timeline.

    The 30 second clip took just 24 seconds to render out :)

     

    Would be interested to see what kind of render times the MAC CS3 guys are getting.

  5. In 2003 your Pentium 500 wasn't exactly a spring chicken. I notebook-edited my first video while on the trip using a Dell Pentium III 500 notebook in 1999. ;-) That notebook held three 25GB hard drives simultaneously. Back then, notebook hard drives did not offer continuous data throughput so DV capture was very tricky. It's so easy now. :)

  6. Craig I was using a Matrox card to edit with then so it did what I needed it to do so was in no hurry to upgrade.

    Now it's software only editing.

     

    Yes it's easy now for sure.

     

    Here is some pics of the ultimate overclock.

    A guy got one Quad 2.4Ghz chip and overclocked it to 5.5Ghz :)

     

     

    post-4240-1204767562_thumb.jpg

    post-4240-1204767583_thumb.jpg

    post-4240-1204767600_thumb.jpg

  7. alright Wagsy? It;s been a while....

     

    couldn't help but get drawn into answering your question - don't know.......... yet....... :D

     

    gimme another 4 weeks or so and once the baddest of all bad bwoys, (until they make a new one of course!!!) my brand new Mac Pro octo-core, arrives I will most certainly be running it through all of its paces in all its glory.....

     

    something tells me that the way you spank the s**t out of your machines (in a positive way, I mean - that's a compliment) that we'll be in similar territory..... "similar"...... ;)

     

    forgot what graphics card you're using..... I'm heading for the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI) from what I read, it'll make a huge difference with the time spent on the job.... I'm turning American, I just wanna "go in, get the job done and go home".......... hopefully 25.6gigs of effective processing power and 16gigs of RAM may just enable me to do just that - maybe in time for dinner....

     

    ;)

  8. 16 g of ram!?!

     

    i have 2.. :D

  9. It doesn't look like processor improvements are slowing down any time soon. Intel just revealed their next generation details and they look pretty interesting. Your dual quad-core looks like it's about to become a dual 6-core with hyperthreading and 6 times the memory bandwidth. Jeez.

     

    Intel is taking an interesting approach to integrated graphics as well. Apparently they want it to be easier to take advantage of graphics hardware for a broader range of tasks. Apple will probably like that but accelerated video codecs may benefit as well.

     

    Looking at today's processing speeds, it amuses to me to look back to the times when people would advocate dedicated hardware coprocessors.

  10. It doesn't look like processor improvements are slowing down any time soon. Intel just revealed their next generation details and they look pretty interesting. Your dual quad-core looks like it's about to become a dual 6-core with hyperthreading and 6 times the memory bandwidth. Jeez.

     

    Intel is taking an interesting approach to integrated graphics as well. Apparently they want it to be easier to take advantage of graphics hardware for a broader range of tasks. Apple will probably like that but accelerated video codecs may benefit as well.

     

    Looking at today's processing speeds, it amuses to me to look back to the times when people would advocate dedicated hardware coprocessors.

     

    that's the most incredibly annoying thing about buying these freakin' things...... you wait years for the rumoured updates to take place and then within six months they go and update it with a new "latest-kick-ass-system" etc.....

     

    Intel just announced quad-core notebook processors for 3Q 2008.... they're gonna be petty damn pricey, though..... :D

     

    16 g of ram!?!

     

    i have 2.. ;)

     

    this beast (not this crappy, ancient G4 - the new bad bwoy which I still await) will hold upto 32Gigs!!! but until I land some major contract and earn thousands overnight then I'll just have to settle for the "cheaper" option......

  11. MY GOD!!!

     

    Wags....aka the mad scientist!!! That looks nuts, PC turns into space ship... Do all the lights in Exmouth dim when you turn that bad boy on!

     

    Jon

  12. Yeh i can remember I was pretty impressed that I could have 2 streams of DV with an effect in realtime with my 2 card Matrox setup :D

     

    6 core....the trouble is the software has to be written so it uses all the power.

     

    16 GIG"S man I have 2 as well and I don't think I have ever maxed it our while editing.

     

    I'm only using a dual 128meg Quadro FX 560 card. Might get a second 256 meg one soon to run 4 screens.

    Yes the way things are going even After Effects will run in real time with HD.

     

    Thats why I like PC's... cheap as to upgrade to make it run faster and you can just buy the correct motherboard, ram etc that allows you overclock things. The ram I have seems to be very good at running much faster than stock...will give it a go soon to see how fast I can get it to run.

     

    EDIT...Jon thats not my setup, it a pic from some guy that used it to keep his chip cool so he could get it to run a 5.5Ghz.

    Edited by wagsy
  13. 6 core....the trouble is the software has to be written so it uses all the power.

    What's 24 threads between friends?

     

    The memory bandwidth of these things looks pretty impressive and each core has architectural improvements as well. Looks serious. :D

  14. Craig have you got a good link to read about them?

     

    Pretty funny, my first PC was a Pentium 75 with 16 megs of ram and I zooped it up to wopping 32 megs. ;)

    C drive was like a huge 700megs... :D

  15. Thought that was pretty extreme Wags.

     

    5.5 GHz!!!! Thats fast, what was the guy doing to need that, serious gamer or porn addict!

  16. 16 GIG"S man I have 2 as well and I don't think I have ever maxed it our while editing.

     

    alright - maybe I'll stop at twelve ;) maybe..... for now.......

     

    but this baby's aiming for some serious animations with numerous layers of effects etc...

     

    The beauty with the Apple suite is that they are so well interlinked that edit software (FCP) and animation software (Motion) and Soundtrack and DVD SP et all can all be open simultaneously....

     

    Instead of exporting a Motion project into a FCP standard, the actual saved Motion file becomes the media which is imported into FCP..... (and vice versa, all the way through the suite) as you then re-save one project, then it instantly updates in the other linked projects....... if that makes sense!?!?

     

    generally on my present MBPs (1st gen dual-core 2.16GHz processors) if I am changing a little piece of animation in Motion this means another loooooooooong wait for a render to go through in FCP..... for maybe a 10 second clip..... (!) :D running 2Gigs of 667 RAM....... the new beast takes 800MHz RAM which should also be of extreme value.....

     

    I know that the graphics card will answer most of my woes but I still don't want to see that spinning beachball (our equivalent of the egg-timer) appearing all too often...

     

    I'm reckoning that minimal money spent on RAM will very quickly pay for itself in previously wasted finger-twiddling time.

  17. My first personal computer was a Radio Shack TRS 80. For monitoring it plugged into a TV, if I remember rightly it had a whopping 4 KB of RAM, and no hard drive, only a cassette drive for loading Basic programs. Metal leaderless tapes were recommended.

     

    Needless to say 4 x tracks of HDV with multiple effects in real time was a bit of a challenge, but it played some nice Space Invaders-like games, in B&W.

     

    trs80-i.jpg

    Edited by Nick Hope
  18. I was addicted to Space Invaders...remember that song..... :)

     

    Man that looks like one of the new MACS abit.

    Edited by wagsy
  19. Nowt wrong with retrospective stylin' Wags!!

     

    Chris, I'll have to get one of those puppies for my new RED One !!! Serious power.

     

    Best,

    Mark.

    P.S Don't ask. RED Plans are top secret at the mo.

    Edited by CamDiver
Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.