Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wetpixel signature self descriptions

Started by divegypsy ·

  • 36Posts
  • 36Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel signature self descriptions

36 posts
  1. Is that what Guapo means??? Maybe I shouldn't have flipped off the girl who called me that the other day.

     

    (Instead I should have kindly lead her by the hand to the nearest eye doctor for emergency treatment. :) )

  2. The Handsome Man of Photography

    That's what I first thought but then I know that to be impossible. :)

  3. That's what I first thought but then I know that to be impossible. :)

     

    Careful there! I have a photo of you looking up your nose taken with a 4mm circular fisheye. You don't really want me to post it, do you! :)

     

    Since I can't contribute anything meaningful to this thread, I will now refrain from posting.

  4. Hi Guys (and Ladies),

     

    Thank you for you comments on my topic concerning signatures. It seems that those of you with far more internet chatroom experience than me are not particularly disturbed by the issue I raised concerning the hyperbole involved with some of the signatures. I guess its just my problem.

     

    The "Real Drew" who responded with interesting comments quoted a small part of what I wrote - ", personally, have been more widely published than many of the WetPixel members - including five stories in National Geographic and numerous publications spanning more than two decades in magazines of similar prestige in Europe and Asia." and said that he felt that the comment, "comes across as being a bit dismissive of many Wetpixel members"

     

    Being dismissive was never my intent. And I tried to make that clear by saying that I have seen many excellent underwater photographs by unpublished photographers.

     

    I was merely giving a few facts concerning my knowledge of publications and publication history with reference to my comment about the signature example I gave and as a counter point that I have very rarely mentioned this "history" in any of my posts. And have used "divegypsy" as a signature mostly because I didn't want WetPixelers to think that comments I made in various forums should have any more credibility due to who I am.

     

    Divegypsy seemed a logical pseudonym because it is a simple, humorous description of me. A person who just travels from place to place - for the purpose of diving.

     

    However, I do agree with the guy that said things would be simpler and more straightforward if we all just used our real names. And will do that in the future.

     

    Fred Bavendam

  5. Hey Fred,

    It's a pretty irreverent bunch on this forum, some would say we have too much free time.

    Jeff

  6. Had an interesting conversation with my lawyer regarding a single line on my website...

     

    I am an IT consultant specializing in some really obtuse software. My website home (www.hoovernebrig.com) page said simply:

     

    "Your source for Teamcenter Consulting"

     

    seems that I can't say that for some variety of legal reasons.

     

    It now says:

     

    "Your best source for Teamcenter Consulting"

     

    Seems that simply adding the qualifier makes it an opinion, not a statement of fact and now all is legal :)

     

     

    funny IMHO :)

  7. As I always say when I get the inevitable lawyer's letter from some offended manufacturer - it's only an opinion!

  8. However, I do agree with the guy that said things would be simpler and more straightforward if we all just used our real names. And will do that in the future.

     

    I agree on this but haven't figured out how to chage pgk to Paul Kay

     

    If anyone would like to elaborate I will do so.

     

    No idea how many underwater images I've had published/used - many, many thousands for sure - BUT I'm actually not sure that this has a great deal of meaning anyway other than providing an income(!) - my 'best' images remain those that satisfy me, and whilst they sometimes get published its not always the case

  9. However, I do agree with the guy that said things would be simpler and more straightforward if we all just used our real names. And will do that in the future.

     

    Fred Bavendam

     

    Well, I achieved something! Come on everyone, use your real names (not you Mike. I know you are on an FBI witness protection programme).

     

    So Fred, you've forgotten those long chats we've had (where you revealed to me your pseudonym).

     

    By the way, I used to be someone of importance but then I got involved in diving. It's OK to try to be a big fish, but never forget, in the overall scheme of things, the diving world is a particularly small muddy puddle!

    Edited by John Bantin
  10. Well I am quite happy to use my full name - so like Paul Kay says - how do I change it ?

     

    Thanks for reminding me of the day job John - but I am crap at that as well :)

     

    Paul Carre

  11. Hi all - to be clear, there is not going to be a policy requiring the use of real names on Wetpixel. (It'd be difficult even if we wanted to, think of the verification issues)

     

    In the spirit of online forums, please feel free to use whatever (appropriate!) handle you wish. :)

     

    If you absolutely must have your username changed, please use the Contact form and we'll see what we can do.

    Edited by segal3
  12. I think the best UWphotog is the one that enjoys the most. Probably, in many dives, a newbie gets bad pics but enjoys the dive more than an advanced-pro so, in the end, the newbie is "being better" at enjoying the hobby, which is that matters.

     

    I have never had any published pic beside contest results but I really love diving and taking pics so I guess that makes me "good" at it! :)

     

    About the names/not names etc... I think that if you follow Wetpixel you know who is almost everybody...

  13. hmmm... thanks for bringin up the FBI John, now i have to change my name again, sigh...

  14. Hi all - to be clear, there is not going to be a policy requiring the use of real names on Wetpixel. (It'd be difficult even if we wanted to, think of the verification issues)

     

    I dunno. It is kinda amusing to imagine the WP signature enforcement squad.

     

    Bang, Bang, Bang. A guy shows up at the door, dripping wet, in a 7mm wetsuit. Hmmm. Let's see, drsteve, it says here you have a 5D in a Aquatica housing. Come on, lets see it. Okay, okay, you can't be too careful these days. BTW, you wouldn't have a few spare tanks? I have a guy in Monterey I have to check next. B)

    Edited by drsteve
  15. Hmmm is this where the thread just goes down a very deep hole? :)

  16. Or, depending on your position, up it? yech!

     

     

    p.s. I resent the "irreverent" comment someone made earlier. I prefer to think of myself as irrelevant. :P Fred, I hope you don't think I was coming down on you too hard. I just found the idea of policing chat boards a bit ... foreign ... to my experience, and always thought 'buyer beware' (or 'reader engage judgement') was a part of any Internet activity. Although I've read China is trying to enforce mandatory true-ID logins at all internet cafes. Good luck with that one not biting you in the foot!

    Edited by rtrski
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.