Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

what rechargeable AA batteries

Started by stewsmith ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

what rechargeable AA batteries

22 posts
  1. would like to know what others are using, i need them to be compatible with S and S ys90's. i got caught out in lembeh last week having used all my lithium energizers and had to use the local batteries. waiting upto 60 seconds for my strobes to power up wasnt too much fun.

     

    http://www.gpbatteries.co.uk/products/powe...rs/premium.html

     

    the above link is to a product that claims to charge AA's in 15 minutes. i dont know if anyone has seen or used these.

     

     

     

    cheers, stew

    Edited by stewsmith
  2. Hi Stew,

     

    We had one of those 15 minute chargers (Uniross) in bits at work last week (Electronics company, what do you expect).

     

    They do charge in 15min but the batteries get pretty hot!

     

    Put it this way the charger had ducted air from a fan to cool the batteries during the charge phase - we measured the charge current at 6A, I probably wouldn't leave them to charge unattended in a hotel room myself.

     

    Seemed to work fine though, and no electronic reason that they should affect battery life that I am aware of.

     

    Paul C

  3. would like to know what others are using, i need them to be compatible with S and S ys90's. i

     

    Hey Stew,

     

    I am using Sanyo Eneloops at the moment as these are the recommended kiddies for my Mk3 Inon Z240's.

    I used Uniross Nimh 2700mah for a number of years with S&S YS90's and had absolutely no problems whatsoever, I used (and still do) a sevendayshop own brand fast charger it charges 4 AA's in 30mins and has a fan to keep them cool. I think it cost £7.99 and has been very reliable.

    The Uniross batteries still get used in twin mini Q40 lights and my topside SB800 and they still perform well.

     

    Is that Southampton Hants or somewhere in the States?

     

    Nige

  4. Is that Southampton Hants or somewhere in the States?

     

    Nige

     

    yes southampton hampshire

  5. I 2nd the Eneloops.... Had so much trouble before with GP's and other brands. Not holding a charge, releasing gas, etc.... Switched to the Eneloops and had no trouble whatsoever! I have the YS-110s from S&S

  6. I 2nd the Eneloops.... Had so much trouble before with GP's and other brands. Not holding a charge, releasing gas, etc.... Switched to the Eneloops and had no trouble whatsoever! I have the YS-110s from S&S

    The tradeoff is capacity vs. internal discharge. The Eneloops at 2000 MAH are the ticket if you charge at home and take to the boat. The 2800 MAH NIMH batteries have about 30% more output if you are in a place where you can keep them topped up. It is interesting to note that the Inon 240 strobe now suggests that only Eneloops are acceptable.

     

    Bill

  7. I have switched to enloops as well due to inon strobes. they recommend them for all 3 generations but require them in gen 3 models. I have not run out of charge with 3 dives a day shooting as yet. I bought mine from thomas distributors best price also bought a charger. so far all works fine. used to use 2700mh Nihydrides without problem now I use them in my flashlights.

  8. I too used them on a recent liveaboard trip doing 5 dives a day. I managed to last through 4 dives easily but did change before the fifth.... Never had an issue. I was definetely surprised at the number of shots I could take. In fact, I changed the batteries out even before my strobes showed a low charge warning (Orange lamp instead of red). My other 2000MaH batteries never lasted that long. There is definitely something to these Eneloops from my own personal experience.....however, I suppose only a proper gear test will put these questions to rest.

  9. my eneloops are fantastic. I can't believe how good they are. 3-4 dives no probs. sweet.

  10. I'm using the Duracell NiMH 2650's in my YS-110's.

    We do shallow dives lasting about 90 minutes each. They last me for 3 dives in a day.

     

    I change out the ones in my P&S after the second dive, live view eats'em up.

     

    I have good things about the eneloops as well, but Walmart up the street sells the Duracells.

     

    Good luck and I hope this helps.

     

    ed

  11. Are the 15 minute chargers ok for use on liveaboards and in dodgy overseas hotels? I was thinking about trying the eneloops with an energizer 15 minute charger. I'm no electronics pro so I just wanted to make sure that I won't be overloading anybody's circuits on my next trip!

  12. Why do you need to charge them so quickly? I take 5 sets (eneloops) with me when I go - swap one set out after each dive and put the old ones on to charge. Always have spare two sets of charged ones ready just in case. Batteries are cheap and light compared to rest of kit so why skimp?

  13. would like to know what others are using, stew

     

    Stew,

     

    Don't know if this is proper, but does anyone know if the Nikon SB-105 can use rechargeables? I know the SB-103's could not.

     

    Thanks,

  14. Are the 15 minute chargers ok for use on liveaboards and in dodgy overseas hotels? I was thinking about trying the eneloops with an energizer 15 minute charger. I'm no electronics pro so I just wanted to make sure that I won't be overloading anybody's circuits on my next trip!

    The Sanyo folks suggest (quite strongly) that fast charging of the eneloops is very bad for longevity. They recommend that you charge at less than 1/2 the rated capacity or at 500 mA which should be a 2 to 3 hour charge time. The very fast chargers at 6000 mA can damage the separator and lead to premature battery death. Get a LaCrosse charger and you can set the charge rate. Buy a second or third set of batteries and leave the 15 minute charger behind.

    Bill

  15. For the past three years I've been using the same sets of Maplin Electronics 2500 mHh Ni-Mh AAs. I charge them using the Maplin ultra fast 30 minute charger (the one with the cooling fan) and they have perforrmed flawlessly. I check their charge before and after charging and before use using a Calumet pulse load battery tester. I have every confidence in using sets of four in my Z-240s for three dives. HTH, Tim

  16. Stew,

     

    Don't know if this is proper, but does anyone know if the Nikon SB-105 can use rechargeables? I know the SB-103's could not.

     

    Thanks,

    I used rechargeable batteries in my 105 for many yeras quite successfully.

     

    Regards

  17. I Use 7-Day shop, based in the Channel Islands they do some 2800Mah and a fast recharger. They last well and are powerful enough for fast recycling and only cost about £6 per four batteries. a 1hr charger completes the set. I usually carry 5 sets with me for diving and 3 when I am working as a land photographer. At that price you can afford to chuck them after 6 months if you are not happy with them :)

  18. I don't really think 'brand' matters much at the same mAh rating for the batteries, although the Eneloop and newer types are a different internal configuration from the older 'standard' NiMH type. I am however a bit pickier on the recharger: I like the ones that have a good solid metal heft to them for heatsinking, as well as those with individual (per-battery vs. in "pairs") charge-full indications and controllers, especially for the more rapid charge types. I found one a while back that was also AA or AAA, which was nice as my focus lamp takes AAAs. Green LED shows full, red LED shows charging...so if one stays 'red' far longer than others you know to check it for heat and probably throw it out as dead.

     

    And depending on your electronics, if you're buying the AA's in bulk packs, check them for identical 'nipple height' on the positive side of the battery. Sometimes there are large (2-3 mm) differences in height, and this can cause connection difficulties in some cases where there isn't sufficient spacing in a battery compartment (assumption being that the door compresses any springs all the way down, not leaving any part still in expansion). I've noticed this specifically in Ikelite DS50 or DS51 strobes, where mismatched battery nipples can lead to poor or sporadic performance, and posted about it in the Lighting subforum. So I've learned to 'sort' them in equal-nipple-height groups and use a Sharpie to number the groups so I don't have to compare nipples again every time.

     

    OK, I admit it, I'm horribly immature and male. I just enjoy typing "nipples" over and over. Can we talk about battery "insertion" next? <snicker>

  19. I've given up trying to find the "right" AA NiMH batteries. I only use them these days in my Canon 580EX II flash, and had been recommending the Powerex 2700 Mah ones. But lately they don't seem to hold a charge for sh_t :) Had better luck with Sanyo from Thomas Distributing and may give them a try sometime in the future.

     

    Leaving for Cozumel Saturday and I just broke down and bought a 16 pack of Alkalines. Will use them up until the recycle time goes down then give them to the staff for whatever use they want.

     

    Since the Ikelite DS160 strobes have a much more powerful battery pack I don't care.......

     

    YMMV

     

    dhaas

    Edited by dhaas
  20. I used rechargeable batteries in my 105 for many yeras quite successfully.

     

    Regards

     

    Great! Thanks,

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.