Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina AT-X AF 10-17mm f3.5-4.5 DX Fisheye

Started by DavidScubadiver ·

  • 39Posts
  • 39Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina AT-X AF 10-17mm f3.5-4.5 DX Fisheye

39 posts
  1. This is my second lens. These photos are all shot at 17mm because I could not get the zoom clamp to fit. Please feel free to add your own photos so others interested in the lens can get a sense of its range. Keep in mind, this is my first time shooting with a dSLR, but if you are a newbie as well, it should be useful.

     

    2669193849_8cdb14e515_b.jpg

     

    2669975024_f45c29af9f_b.jpg

     

    2669161391_aa49f717b7_b.jpg

     

    2669162823_29ce1ccf0a_b.jpg

     

    2669986254_80bec4dcae_b.jpg

     

    2669184735_f5b4e9882d_b.jpg

  2. Thank you for this.....I just got this lens and can't wait to use it UW! That last photo is simply hilarious! I look forward to see more examples from those with experience.... please mention your approximate distance from the subject and focal length if possible! My initial experience with the Nikkor 10.5mm stunned me (as far as how close I had to get)....

     

    I know this isn't an UW photo but I had to post this.....I love this lens topside too! A shot of my 10 yr old Cartman... (mods, if you delete this, I will understand as it isn't really UW related!)

     

    3 inches away from my dog at 12mm

     

    n582259232_577596_2875.jpg

    Edited by eskasi
  3. Here are a couple of photos I've taken with the Tokina. I love this lens, though I usually use it on 10mm...

     

    317142502_KiD6u-L.jpg

     

    224509224_SxeTE-L.jpg

     

    187357186_usJAg-L.jpg

     

     

    And one using a magic filter

    187357255_L72Do-L.jpg

     

     

    Oren

  4. All of the original shots were shot in Aperture Priority, F/13, ISO 500 (not intentional, but that's what it was), and as shown on Flickr, a focal length of 25 ("in 35mm film").

     

    The last picture was taken of me by my girlfriend. She must have been 4 feet or so away. But that's just an estimate. I was posing, hoping a shark would swim by, but alas, it was not meant to be. The lionfish shot was about a foot from dome port to fish, and several feet from fish to diver.The shark series was at varying distances, the last of which was right next to me.

     

    Basically, I tried getting as close as I could and this caused me to miss some of the shark body (causing me to realize just WHY a zoom to 10mm would have been useful, but up to that point I never was getting close enough to anything big enough so that it mattered).

  5. The 10-17mm has been a favourite of mine for a while now - so I really have a lot of images from it that I like. For those who want to read a bit, here is a link to an article on my website.

     

    Like any 180 degree full frame fisheye the 10-17mm at 10mm is an ideal UW wide angle lens. Excellent for close focus wide angle, wide scenics, reef scenes and diver + scenery shots:

     

    Here is a typical CFWA:

    cay08_02.jpg

     

    And a bigger scenic:

    t30.jpg

     

    It can be hard to create space underwater, while still being close enough to a subject to get good colour, contrast and clarity. The 10mm end of the 10-17mm is ideal for this:

     

    fl08_05.jpg

     

    Same lens, same subject, excellent flexibility:

    fl08_02.jpg

     

    To be able to take both of these shots while still in the camera to subject distance sweet-spot for the lens (i.e. not having to back off too far) is awesome.

     

    Perhaps the greatest benefit of the zoom is that it turns the fisheye into a great big creature lens. The 10.5mm is often just a bit too wide - and can be frustrating is subjects don't come close enough. Being able to zoom in a bit helps fill the frame giving the portrait more impact. It also lessens the tadpole effect (big head, tiny body) that you get with the 10.5mm (or just the 10mm end) when the subject does come right up to the camera. And you have the flexibility of being able to zoom either way as you need.

     

    This one is a little bit tadpoley, but not too bad.

    amustard_017.jpg

     

    Big creature, frame filled.

    12.jpg

     

    Sharks can easily tapdpole with fisheyes, but the 10-17mm at around 13-15mm just seems so ideal for these subjects:

    amustard_02.jpg

     

    And finally, as long as you can get close, the close focusing allows you to shoot small to medium sized subjects:

     

    amustard_74.jpg

     

    which is particularly useful in low viz areas, like here in the UK:

    UK08_am-10251.jpg

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  6. Looks like I have a way to go to improve my images. :) Thanks Alex!

  7. Hi all,

     

    These lens specific threads are great!

     

    These are all shot using a 10-17mm,

     

    2096940629_cd07abae5a.jpg

     

    at ISO800, using a green water magic filter, using the 10mm end

     

    2580700362_1cc6f380a1.jpg

     

    at ISO125, using a blue water magic filter, again using the 10mm end

     

    I think it is a fantatsic lens, although I have yet to get to grips with CFWA!

     

    All the best

     

    Adam

  8. I am to thinking going back to UW photo after almost one year of Fashion shooting.

     

    The 10-17 sounds great. My question is how this lens will perform to a D300 DX camera and a 16mm to a D3 /d700 fullframe.

     

    I just have the feeling that this baby will do great in DX format. on the other hand a 16mm in a FX formal will be great to just i will miss the Zoomfactor

    Edited by motionsync
  9. Excelent pictures Alex! that first manatee shot makes one dream about going there and feel the relax and calm of the picture.

     

    Lambis: the 10-17 at 10 with a D300 is like a D3/D700 with a 16mm. Then you can zoom in with the 10-17/D300 to get something like a 25mm pseudoFE (only a little roundness) equivalent in FF.

    But with the 16mmD3/D700 you are stuck in 16mm.

  10. before the tokina, for a question of quality I had no zoom lenses for uw pictures - but this is now my favorite lens as much for it's versatility as for the pictures quality!

     

    attach, 2 of my last pictures in fresh water taken at 17mm:

     

    P494_078.jpg

     

    P495_009.jpg

    Edited by Claude
  11. I think I found his big brother last night ^_^

     

    this was my second dive with the Tokina, unfortunately I had iso set at 1000, so there's a lot of noise in the picture :)

     

    also visibility was very poor

    post-20987-1217585733.jpg

    Edited by Daniel
  12. Hey gang,

     

    after seeing, hearing and reading 'wetpixelers' reports on this lens I have bitten the bullet and bought one. Cant wait to get it out there and hopefully will go out this weekend. Will post some pics.

     

    Dave

  13. I've been using it now for quite a while, in fact I find myself using only this for months sometimes, fantasic lens and would recommend it to anyone, in fact I always do:)

     

    10mm, 3ft away, DS125 x 2, half power

     

    CAY2853.jpg

     

    10mm 1ft away, DS125 X 2, 1/4 power

     

    CAY2712.jpg

     

    17mm, 2 inches away

     

    CAY2410.jpg

     

    10mm

     

    CAY2993.jpg

     

    More can be found here:

    http://www.digitaldiver.biz/cpg/thumbnails...at=0&page=1

    Edited by kriptap
  14. Only used a DSLR on one trip so far. This is definitely a fun lens and rather easy to use. Well, easier than dealing with my 100mm macro lens, which I love also.

     

    at 17mm

    2708170650_d19c657534.jpg

     

    at 15mm

    2714505461_63a07e35e3.jpg

     

    at 13mm

    2714414771_af815a98af.jpg

    Edited by thesmoothdome
  15. This has got to be the most popular uw lens around. I know that it is mine.

     

    2700165407_88fc152849.jpg

     

     

    2692118125_fd9379d24d.jpg

     

     

    2699907935_278be93b6d.jpg

     

     

    2760783833_5e6af8869d.jpg

     

     

    2669802381_8dbc7d1ac9.jpg

  16. This has got to be the most popular uw lens around. I know that it is mine.

     

    2700165407_88fc152849.jpg

     

     

    2692118125_fd9379d24d.jpg

     

     

    2699907935_278be93b6d.jpg

     

     

    2760783833_5e6af8869d.jpg

     

     

    2669802381_8dbc7d1ac9.jpg

     

    Hi all

    fantastic photos!

     

    you all try that lense (Tokina) and try the nikkor 10,5mm? and you all prefer the tokina or the nikkor?

     

    RBernardo

  17. you all try that lense (Tokina) and try the nikkor 10,5mm? and you all prefer the tokina or the nikkor?

    I still have both: for splitted pictures 10,5 is better!

  18. I really enjoy my 10-17mm, although I think I like the results underwater more so than topside using it. Here's a couple of mine using the Tokina, I love the versatility of it. Everyone's pictures look fabulous...

     

    l_7e134d3f9b13aba858c581b3e70c562e.jpg

     

    l_1d8a560d4db13d58931e6953591e7d34.jpg

     

    l_27ad4b01347c31d734f77b166d542993.jpg

     

    l_fc59287b6e90e66edee0347fbbf809e9.jpg

  19. Wow....these photos are rockin'!!

     

    Two questions:

     

    Are you all setting a custom white balance?

     

    What cameras are you using? I don't recall anyone mentioning what their body is...except for David, who I assume is shooting Nikon.

     

    I just ordered this lens for my 40D, I can't wait to see how it does. I was also thinking about a 17-40, but really like the results I'm seeing with the 10-17.

     

    MP

  20. Another fan. Camera D200, Aquatica Housing, 9.5" Dome, 2xSubtronic Nova

    post-1729-1219458259.jpg

    post-1729-1219458347.jpg

    post-1729-1219458454.jpg

    Edited by NWDiver
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.