Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Lightroom 2.0 has some issues, Please help!

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 72Posts
  • 72Replies

Read-only discussion

Lightroom 2.0 has some issues, Please help!

72 posts
  1. Money, the answer to everything :) ATJ, the Previews are kinda important. You really dont want LR to create those on the fly every time. My preview directory is a lot bigger than 6GB. Who cares these days, disk space is the least of your worries. I love what LR could be, and i hardly ever use PS3 anymore, but Adobe seems to shoot itself in the foot at almost every release. The only release that worked good enough for me so far was 1.4.1, so i'll stick with that for now.

    Edited by cor
  2. Who cares these days, disk space is the least of your worries.

    I care. I care a lot!

     

    My laptop has an 80GB hard disk and won't take a larger one (I have tried). I am about to go on a dive trip where I'll be doing 20-22 dives. I estimate I'll be taking more than 2,000 images (I have done on the previous trips) and will need at 30-40GB free on the laptop before I go. That alone is going to be a difficult feat and so 6GB of previews (that I don't need as I won't be working with old images) will make it even harder.

  3. Did you set Preview size to the smallest setting?

  4. Did you set Preview size to the smallest setting?

    I didn't request any previews at all. And I have discarded them 3 times and yet LR2 still insists on keeping them.

     

    But I don't care now. I will be uninstalling LR2 and removing the catalog. I don't want it until Adobe fix it. I will continue to use LR 1.4.1 as that works for me.

  5. I care. I care a lot!

     

    My laptop has an 80GB hard disk and won't take a larger one (I have tried). I am about to go on a dive trip where I'll be doing 20-22 dives. I estimate I'll be taking more than 2,000 images (I have done on the previous trips) and will need at 30-40GB free on the laptop before I go. That alone is going to be a difficult feat and so 6GB of previews (that I don't need as I won't be working with old images) will make it even harder.

     

    Im not sure what you mean ATJ?? Won't take a bigger drive? I have an internal 30gb hard drive. I just added a 500gb tiny external for $100. Is it a MAC (I know absolutely nothing about MAC's) and wont take an external drive?

    Edited by sideways
  6. Im not sure what you mean ATJ?? Won't take a bigger drive? I have an internal 30gb hard drive. I just added a 500gb tiny external for $100. Is it a MAC (I know absolutely nothing about MAC's) and wont take an external drive?

    I mean exactly what I said. The laptop will not take a drive larger than 80GB as its primary drive. (Well, to be completely accurate, it can take a couple of 100GB and 120GB drive but as they are no longer available, 80GB is the largest I can use.) Oh, and if you don't believe me, go read this: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with...kPad_hard_disks and http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=11059 I tried for over 18 months to get a larger drive.

     

    Now, I can add a second drive and I already have a 250GB drive in the second bay. I can also use external drives and will be taking a 120GB USB drive. The problem is the previews go on the C: drive so it is the drive with the least space that LR2 is going to fill up.

     

    I am not asking for people to tell me how I should set up my laptop or how I should organise my files. I am reporting a problem with Lightroom 2 that directly affects me and makes the product unusable by me at this time.

  7. I love Lightroom 1.4.1. But 1.4 was a disaster that screwed up the color of my raw images.

     

    After that experience, I vowed never again to buy a .0 version from Adobe. Now I'm glad I've waited for 4.0.1.

     

    The ball is in your court, Adobe.

  8. Andrew, I dont think anything has changed between 1.4.1 and 2.0 concerning previews. It always made previews. You can pick the size from 1024 to 2048 in size. They are needed to show you bigger versions of your image without loading the raw. I dont think it was ever possible to turn that off.

  9. Andrew, I dont think anything has changed between 1.4.1 and 2.0 concerning previews. It always made previews. You can pick the size from 1024 to 2048 in size. They are needed to show you bigger versions of your image without loading the raw. I dont think it was ever possible to turn that off.

    Cor,

     

    It is not the normal previews that are the problem. It is the 1:1 previews that it keeps making.

     

    This is what I have under 1.4.1, which I have been using since February:

    Photographs in library: 21767

    Size of preview directory: 973MB

    Standard Preview Size: 1440 pixels

    Preview Quality: Medium

    Automatically Discard 1:1 Previews: After 30 Days

     

    This is what I have under 2.0, which I have been using for 7 days:

    Photographs in library: 21723 (not sure why this is different as the LR2 catalog was created from the LR 1.4.1 one)

    Size of preview directory: ~6GB

    Standard Preview Size: 1440 pixels

    Preview Quality: Medium

    Automatically Discard 1:1 Previews: After 1 Day (was After 30 Days)

     

    So... why is the preview directory for LR2 6 times larger than 1.4.1 using the identical settings?

  10. I should add that the 1.4.1 previews would have included 1:1 previews for at least 300 photos that were added in the last 30 days.

  11. Sorry Andrew, I wasn't trying to tell you how to set up your puter. Hell...I'd be the last person in the world to do that as puter challenged as I am :) . I have the same issue basically, everything was being saved to C drive, which only has like 8gb available. One of the features that caught my eye with 2.0 was the supposed ability to work directly from my External drive. I changed a setting today regarding that. Now when I download from my Camera card, I download straight to my catalogue on my external drive. I don't see anything being cached or saved on my C drive. Is that what you mean?

     

     

    Cheers,

     

    Greg

  12. Andrew, there are a few possibilities besides bug. It creates 1:1 previews if you either tell it to through the menu (create previews), or if you happen to have viewed lots of files in the develop module. It should delete them after 1 day, but if thats not happening, that would be a bug , another one, add it to the list of many.

     

    Cor

  13. Andrew, there are a few possibilities besides bug. It creates 1:1 previews if you either tell it to through the menu (create previews), or if you happen to have viewed lots of files in the develop module. It should delete them after 1 day, but if thats not happening, that would be a bug , another one, add it to the list of many.

    D'oh!

     

    Cor, you are correct. LR2 was only recreating the normal previews. I was seeing my disk space disappear and didn't wait long enough to see how much I actually lost. I left LR2 running for the day and the preview directory only grew to 500MB which is about what I would expect for no 1:1 previews.

     

    The fact still remains that LR2 did initially create 1:1 previews without me telling it. I had not selected any menu options. I normally request 1:1 previews on import, but I have not imported anything into LR2, merely migrated the library from 1.4.1. I also had not viewed any images at 1:1.

     

    The second issue is that I told it to discard the images which it appeared to do, but did not free up any disk space, even after I quit from LR2.

     

    The third issue in all this (and this also applies to LR1) is that if you choose Library->Previews->Discard 1:1 Previews... it brings up a dialog box basically telling you that you have 1:1 previews on (just about) all your images, even if you don't, and if you say discard them, it goes through a process of discarding them, complete with progress indicator, even if they weren't there in the first place.

  14. Sorry Andrew, I wasn't trying to tell you how to set up your puter. Hell...I'd be the last person in the world to do that as puter challenged as I am :) . I have the same issue basically, everything was being saved to C drive, which only has like 8gb available. One of the features that caught my eye with 2.0 was the supposed ability to work directly from my External drive. I changed a setting today regarding that. Now when I download from my Camera card, I download straight to my catalogue on my external drive. I don't see anything being cached or saved on my C drive. Is that what you mean?

    Greg, on Windows the previews are stored on C: drive and there is no way to control that. The photographs in my library are actually on D: drive, but the library itself and the previews end up in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom

  15. Greg, on Windows the previews are stored on C: drive and there is no way to control that. The photographs in my library are actually on D: drive, but the library itself and the previews end up in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom

     

    Right Andrew, thats what I was seeing too. After reading this post I'm starting to think I screwed something up. Yesterday after reading your post, I deleted all files in the "My Pictures" portion of C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\, including the LR file. I just now took a few shots and loaded them in, they went straight to my External drive as set, and nothing went into that "Pictures" file. So... I guess my question would be, by deleting those files, have I lost that preview feature? They download to my library externally, and it SEEMS that nothing has changed with my viewing and ability to process. Please forgive my "Noobness" :)

     

     

    Cheers,

     

    Greg

    Edited by sideways
  16. Greg,

     

    It sounds like you may have deleted your library as well as the preview file. Ignoring the LR2 files, my C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom directory has:

     

    Lightroom Catalog.lrcat - which is the actual library/catalog

    Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata - where the preview data goes.

     

    For LR 2, they are:

     

    Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat

    Lightroom 2 Catalog Previews.lrdata

     

    When you say you "loaded" your files? How are you transferring them from the card to the hard disk? Do you use LR for that or some other utility? Personally, I use Nikon Transfer and only import the photos into LR after they have been transferred.

     

    Can you see your previous photographs in LR or only the most recent ones?

  17. Greg,

     

    It sounds like you may have deleted your library as well as the preview file. Ignoring the LR2 files, my C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom directory has:

     

    Lightroom Catalog.lrcat - which is the actual library/catalog

    Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata - where the preview data goes.

     

    For LR 2, they are:

     

    Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat

    Lightroom 2 Catalog Previews.lrdata

     

    When you say you "loaded" your files? How are you transferring them from the card to the hard disk? Do you use LR for that or some other utility? Personally, I use Nikon Transfer and only import the photos into LR after they have been transferred.

     

    Can you see your previous photographs in LR or only the most recent ones?

     

    As soon as I figured out the moving my catalogue to the external drive function, I did just that (3 days ago), Everything is still there, seemingly intact. I just went back in and looked, and everything is complete in my library/catalogue. I can pull up all images from my first to the ones I just downloaded 20 mins ago. Initially I was using my DX-1G software to capture files from my cards. Recently though I've been using LR.

     

     

    I can't remember if there were 1 or 2 LR files there.... I deleted everything there except the default windows "Sample" pics file.

    Edited by sideways
  18. So how did you move the catalog to the external drive?

  19. So how did you move the catalog to the external drive?

     

    I'll have to look exactly...I don't want to lead you astray for sure. But I think it was just a case of exporting catalog to my external. Once everything was there, I deleted the C: drive images. Then I changed the setting for Importing, when the first Import box comes up. I changed the destination from the C:My pictures to my external catalog folder.

     

     

    In LR..... edit...preferences...general then set default catalog to your external drive. Then like I said...just double check when importing new pics, making sure the destination is correct in the drilldown destination.

    Edited by sideways
  20. Catlog Settings only displays the location of the catalog. It doesn't let me change it.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.