Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Six Gill Sharks in Seattle

Started by echeng ·

  • 55Posts
  • 55Replies

Read-only discussion

Six Gill Sharks in Seattle

55 posts
  1. Sixgill Sharks in Seattle

    August 13-16, 2008

     

    Wetpixel's Eric Cheng and Matt Segal are currently out with Simon Rogerson (editor of Dive Magazine) in Seattle in an attempt to photograph six gill sharks (Hexanchus griseus).

     

    We're out here with Hydrus on the M/V Katherine Jane.

     

    Stay tuned -- I've managed to rig up a wireless network here and will be updating this page as frequently as possible with video and still image clips (pseudo-live).

     

    In order to upload as much media as possible, much of it will be rather raw; I apologize in advance.

     

    The video feed is on the front page:

    http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/six-gill-sharks-in-seattle/

     

    UPDATE: I'm going to inline the video feed here, to make things easier:

     

    Edited by echeng
  2. One of my first shots of a six gill! (taken 2 hours ago)

    echeng080813_0167139.jpg

  3. Wow. That's so cool.

     

    Alex

  4. way cool :drink:

  5. Eric gets a present :drink:

     

    ericgiftsixgillww.jpg

    (Pardon the ugly watermark)

    Edited by segal3
  6. Another shot!

    echeng080814_0167166.jpg

  7. It looks like a Ratfish in the background on the first shot. Very cool.

    What depth are you guys at?

     

    Gets me pumped up for Port Hardy BC. Not that we will see 6 Gills but for the West Coast diving.

     

    Cheers boys

     

    Todd

  8. Way to go guys! :chatterbox: Can you tell us where you're diving so we can be there in spirit?

    Dive safe,

    Steve

  9. Wow those are awesome. I see the ratfish in the background too - way cool. I though all these fish were only seen in deep water - way to go.

     

    James

  10. wow. cool. amazing!!

  11. Another shot!

    Wow, you hit the SixGill jackpot! And you sure picked a great day to dive here in Seattle.

     

    The picture of the underside and the swooshing tail is my favorite so far.

     

    Dave

  12. The ratfish here are insane. There are literally hundreds of them down here fighting, along with dozens of dungeness crabs. CRAB WARS!

     

    Even when we're waiting for the sixgills to come in, it's entertaining to watch the incidental critters interact. (By the way, I had been really excited before about my ratfish portraits. Now I realize that if you go the right area, they are everywhere!)

  13. The ratfish here are insane. There are literally hundreds of them down here fighting, along with dozens of dungeness crabs. CRAB WARS!

     

    More like CRAB LOVE. It's mating season!

  14. For those of you who are too lazy to click through to the front page, I've updated the first post on this thread to include the video feed.

  15. Thanks for the link and post. Definitely on my radar for future trips! :chatterbox:

  16. Eric,

     

    Can you post a few ratfish images - would be great to see a few of them, individual and groups if possible.

     

    Thanks for the wonderful images so far.

     

    Regards

     

    Nigel

  17. (By the way, I had been really excited before about my ratfish portraits. Now I realize that if you go the right area, they are everywhere!)

     

    Yes, ratfish are really cool the first few you see :chatterbox: ...then after you've seen a whole bunch, they're just kinda creepy! :o

     

    Glad you guys are seeing the six gills you came for! Keep posting photos, and I'll see you Sunday!

  18. Hey come on post some little critter pix too!

     

    Oh Eric, you're loosing it mate! Stop trying play Dr. No emails on Mac and get back in the water, there's always cool stuff down there to shoot...

     

    Look forward to seeing more...

  19. Graham - we only dive at night here, so we're sort of bored during the day. That's why the wacky videos make it online.

  20. great stuff. what depth are the 6 gills at and are you on ccr

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.