Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Started by aussie ·

  • 143Posts
  • 143Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon EOS 5D Mark II

143 posts
  1. Just came accross this, looks like it's been announced.

     

    DP Review: Canon EOS 5D Mark II

    Edited by aussie
  2. 1/200 flash sync and no popup flash. Otherwise pretty good. :uwphotog: I'm glad they went with 21MP. Now Canon has full resolution in both small and large bodies. If Nikon does theirs, this will place more pressure on them to support both bodies too IMO. Without a 20+MP D700x, this camera looks like the hot choice for underwater.

     

    A 16-18MP 5D2 wouldn't make too much sense with the 50D just announced at 15MP.

  3. So now I have a dilemma. Do I get a housing for my 5D (I have the ports already, so I've committed to the Aquatica housing), or do I wait for the 5D II to become available, pick that up, and then wait for Aquatica to make a housing for that body?

     

    Get it "now", versus getting a higher resolution, higher ISO camera in four or five months ... gah!

  4. The camera does look good. We can start the game of "will it fit into the old housing".

     

    Superficially, it looks about the same shape and size with buttons in about the same places.

  5. Weathersealed 24L II ! :uwphotog:

    Edited by segal3
  6. Here are more specs:

    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...p;modelid=17662

    1080/30p at 30 mins= 4GB file limit of FAT32. Seems to be MPEG4 encoding. Now this makes me sit up and pay attention.

    No weather sealing though. And they didn't upgrade the AF to match the D700, although the "6 invisible focus assist points" sound mysterious.

    Did anyone notice the new 24/1.4? I think Matt did.

     

    Oh and Herb... no such luck... the dimensions are the same but the layout looks significantly different. Maybe an upgrade kit. It's got more buttons on the back and right top side

    Edited by Drew
  7. Hooray, its here!

     

    Alex

  8. Here are more specs:

    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...p;modelid=17662

    1080/30p at 30 mins= 4GB file limit of FAT32. Seems to be MPEG4 encoding. Now this makes me sit up and pay attention.

    No weather sealing though. And they didn't upgrade the AF to match the D700, although the "6 invisible focus assist points" sound mysterious.

    Did anyone notice the new 24/1.4? I think Matt did.

     

    Oh and Herb... no such luck... the dimensions are the same but the layout looks significantly different. Maybe an upgrade kit. It's got more buttons on the back and right top side

     

    Most of the buttons and dials are at about the same places including the all important PRINT button. There's a new one AF-ON that's in a new location. If this replaces AF function of the * button then that function would be missed.

     

    With a sensor that has 5616 photosites across it should be possible to do 1080 with a ~3x digital zoom without losing any resolution! Have you seen any more details about how they're doing it?

     

    Canon's new Powershot has a CMOS sensor and will also do 1080/30p.

    Edited by herbko
  9. Most of the buttons and dials are at about the same places including the all important PRINT button

     

    :uwphotog::)

     

    Body-only prices: US: $ 2,699, EU: € 2,499, UK: £ 2,299.

     

    Alex

  10. No weather sealing though.

     

    Is environmental protection different to weather sealing?

  11. HOLY CRAP

     

    It's tempting to get this camera for its video feature. Although, I assume auto-focus in live-view mode will be crappy, and that people will rely on manual focus. You'll have try to focus using the LCD, and even though it's a high-res display, it may be difficult to do...

     

    I still need weather sealing for topside, so I ain't gonna get this camera for topside use.

  12. Most of the buttons and dials are at about the same places including the all important PRINT button. There's a new one AF-ON that's in a new location. If this replaces AF function of the * button then that function would be missed.

     

    With a sensor that has 5616 photosites across it should be possible to do 1080 with a ~3x digital zoom without losing any resolution! Have you seen any more details about how they're doing it?

    Canon's new Powershot has a CMOS sensor and will also do 1080/30p.

    Herb, I dunno... those hi res pics shows the VF is lower and multi controller is shifted right. Hope it's not true though.

     

    Is environmental protection different to weather sealing?

    environmental protection is a marketing term for half-assed weather sealing. It's sorta like the EPA. :uwphotog:

     

    Eric, why can't you focus first thru the VF then go to video? Rack focus will be an issue but with practice it isn't daunting. A lot better than servo lenses that's for sure.

  13. Just done some quick-and-dirty measurements from the hi-res MkII pics and compared them with my 5D. As Drew said, it looks like the VF is around 1mm lower in the new model and the centre of the thumbwheel is about 2mm further to the right. The buttons down the left side are obviously in slightly different postions too, as there are more of them.

    Anyway, might just still be workable, or modifiable, at least till new housings come out. Here's hoping!

  14. ISO to 25600. Does this mean better noise handling than the DSMKIII? and similar or better to the D3/D700? If so that would really be impressive beyond the just the MP and video.

  15. Herb, I dunno... those hi res pics shows the VF is lower and multi controller is shifted right. Hope it's not true though.

     

     

    environmental protection is a marketing term for half-assed weather sealing. It's sorta like the EPA. :uwphotog:

     

    Eric, why can't you focus first thru the VF then go to video? Rack focus will be an issue but with practice it isn't daunting. A lot better than servo lenses that's for sure.

     

    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkII/

    Water resistance: 10 mm rain in 3 minutes

     

    Does not sound half-assed to me. 10mm in 3 minutes is heaver rain than you would get in a hurricane.

  16. Well that's equal to 200mm per hour... which is less than the 1D series' 254mm per hour resistance. So I apologize for my bad math... it's about 3/4 ass implementation. :uwphotog:

    Seriously, you'd think that little 54mm isn't a big deal but it is. Sea spray, waves and animals kicking up water will all kill a lesser camera and lens. Little things like no rubber around the battery compartment, even though it's underneath the camera, have killed the comparably weather sealed D2X. Ask Mr Falsa Orca if he's reading this (sorry to bring up your nightmare but it's time you switched anyways :)) Btw you have to match the camera to a L lens to be fully weather sealed. As of now the following L lenses are fully weather sealed (except for the front which you must add a filter to complete sealing):

    Canon EF 14 mm 2.8L II USM

    Canon EF 24 mm F1.4L II USM

    Canon EF 50 mm F1.2L USM

    Canon EF 16 - 35 mm F2.8L I & II USM

    Canon EF 17 - 40 mm F4.0L USM

    Canon EF 24 - 70 mm F2.8L USM

    Canon EF 24 - 105 mm F4.0L IS USM

    Canon EF 28 - 300 mm F3.5 - 5.6L IS USM

    Canon EF 70 - 200 mm F2.8L IS USM

    Canon EF 70 - 200 mm F4.0L IS USM

    Canon EF 200 mm F2L IS USM

    Canon EF 300 mm F2.8L IS USM

    Canon EF 400 mm F2.8L IS USM

    Canon EF 400 mm F4.0 DO IS USM

    Canon EF 500 mm F4.0L IS USM

    Canon EF 600 mm F4.0L IS USM

    Canon EF 800 mm F5.6L IS USM

    Canon Extender EF 1.4x II

    Canon Extender EF 2.0x II

    Edited by Drew
  17. Just a quick overlap of both cameras rear controls is enough to tell me this baby is a totally different size layout. way too much for a conversion such as the D200/D300, Our Camera is ordered already and we are going to get to it the moment its in. I can tell you it will be machined from solid and have a port lock mechanism (all our new housing will feature that). Good timing for once, we are basically all done with the D700 design and just about ready to go in production. its a luxury to be able to concentrate on one design these days.

    post-1676-1221656839.jpg

  18. Just a quick overlap of both cameras rear controls is enough to tell me this baby is a totally different size layout. way too much for a conversion such as the D200/D300, Our Camera is ordered already and we are going to get to it the moment its in. I can tell you it will be machined from solid and have a port lock mechanism (all our new housing will feature that). Good timing for once, we are basically all done with the D700 design and just about ready to go in production. its a luxury to be able to concentrate on one design these days.

     

    Do not forget a flip red filter for this, it does video. Guess the filter would be part of the ports? :uwphotog::)

  19. I'm a bit bummed that they are only upping it to 3.9fps and that they are not upgrading the auto-focus. I'm sure next year at this time I will have one in a housing (hopefully just a new Ikelite back for my current housings?), but I was hoping for a camera with a higher fps but less MP for also shooting topside wildlife. I guess I'll have to start looking more at the D50 for use with my longer lenses. I would have also like to have seen more weather sealing. I shoot a lot in the rain in places like SE Alaska all day. My 5D with a rain cover has handled 8+ hours of almost constant rain, but I had a friend's 40D stop working at around 5 hours that day. Always compromises.

  20. I hope it doesn't suffer the same AF problems as the MARKIII !!!! :uwphotog:

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.