Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Started by aussie ·

  • 143Posts
  • 143Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon EOS 5D Mark II

143 posts
  1. Anybody with this camera had any issues like those described here?

    http://www.neutralday.com/1-in-4-failure-r...eos-5d-mark-ii/

     

    Canon have always been slack with weather sealing in their amateur cameras, the 5dmkii is no different.

     

    I haven't read the probs in the neutralday post, but my biggest concern is the sealing on both the battery compartment door and on the CF card compartment door. I have had water in the battery compartment already, from a very small splash from underneath while standing ankle-deep in the surf; I have also had the battery compartment door open frm pressure applied by my palm while shooting hand-held low to the ground (the battery ended up in the mud); and I worry about the sealing on the CF Card door.

  2. Canon have always been slack with weather sealing in their amateur cameras, the 5dmkii is no different.

     

    I haven't read the probs in the neutralday post, but my biggest concern is the sealing on both the battery compartment door and on the CF card compartment door. I have had water in the battery compartment already, from a very small splash from underneath while standing ankle-deep in the surf; I have also had the battery compartment door open frm pressure applied by my palm while shooting hand-held low to the ground (the battery ended up in the mud); and I worry about the sealing on the CF Card door.

    Looking at my D700, I'm not sure how well these 2 doors would resist water ingress with splashing either, though I have been out on the jetski with some splashes without problems. The problems in the neutralday post were from Reichman of Luminous Landscape, where 6 out of 26 5DMkII's on board his Antarctic Trip died, apparently due to humidity related issues. (No other cameras had the problem)

  3. ...6 out of 26 5DMkII's on board his Antarctic Trip died, apparently due to humidity related issues. (No other cameras had the problem)...

     

    My experience photo guiding in the Antarctic is that some people understand/are more experienced at managing the from-cabin-to-deck scenario than others. :)

     

    Maybe that could read "6 out of 26 5dmkii photographers killed their cameras due to humidity related issues".

     

    And maybe there were only 3 other cameras on board, so the alternative sample size was too small to compare.... :D

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.