Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Video from the Canon 5DMkII

Started by Drew ·

  • 168Posts
  • 168Replies

Read-only discussion

Video from the Canon 5DMkII

168 posts
  1. From what I've read from the topside video forums for this camera, one of the best methods of manipulating the output is to transcode it into an intermediate format using something like Cineform Neoscene http://cineform.com/neoscene/ which is available on a 7 day trial. That way your average hardware and software can actually do something with the high bitrate HD output. Apparently it also helps with the crushed blacks issue. It's a shame that Canon didn't provide this kind of software as free with the 5D2 package !

     

    I'd second that. I've been using Neoscene to transcode before editing in Sony Vegas and it works a treat- the video plays much more smoothly and at a higher frame-rate within the NLE. The crushed black issue seems to have been solved by the latest Quicktime update.

  2. Here is a video from the 5D2 using some of the lockdown and focus techniques to great effect. It's not underwater but in the desert of Afghanistan by DanFung Dennis. Got an interesting story too:

     

    http://vimeo.com/4642425

    Edited by Drew
  3. Here's a collection of underwater clips I've found on youtube so far:

     

  4. Berkley

    What lense were you testing that you had soft corners for? 16-35? 15 FE? 14?

    Shooting with anything more than 21mm, corners don't seem to be an issue with the 1D series u/w. Since the 5D2 video mode changes ISO/Tv then Av last, it'd be wiser to shoot with a lens that is at least f4 and above to get DoF back.

    With macro, to get back DoF, lights are going to be necessary and VERY powerful lights too. One method I managed to try was to have a white card to expose the subject but at -1.5 - 2 Ec. Then lock settings and use Ec to knock it back 1 or 2 stops depending on subject. As you say, when Av changes, the video gets funky. Another pain with the 5D2 that the AE locked settings reset once the 4GB limit is up, which means one has to be careful not to hit the limit but stop and hit set again.

    Also users will also have to use CF IV-2 to switch AF-ON to AE-Lock for one of the C* custom settings so that when they shoot stills, they can switch back to AF-On functionality while u/w.

     

    Hi Drew,

     

    I shot the 5DMKII out in front of the shop (Backscatter West) in about 15 feet of water to try and do some testing in an attempt to have some scientific results. I shot it on a tripod with a 15FE and Light & Motion Sunray 2000 lights. Here's some of the tricks, tips, issues I had.

     

    Focus in live view is difficult. I needs a lot of contrast, more than normal, to focus. I had to have my dive buddy (Russ) swim 2 feet out in front of the dome and put his bright blue dry glove in the center of the frame to get the thing to focus. After I did that, I moved the AF control over to *. I was shooting an Aquatica housing. I thought moving the control over to the * button was a really cool feature because I didn't want to accidentally hit the AF button again and ruin the locked in focus I had.

     

    White balance was a challenge with a 15FE. I really needed a 3 sq ft white card! But I didn't have one and only had a small dive slate. Again, I had to have Russ swim out in front and hold the white card for me. The white card needs to be in the center of the frame when you take a shot to then assign the white balance from the shot as custom. The camera will take whatever for a WB, unlike video that will sometimes not take. What I though looked good underwater came out a little pink on my HDTV.

     

    I had the Sunray 2000 lights at full power. Probably could have had even brighter lights. The concept is to nuke the foreground so that the camera will clamp down on the exposure, and darken the background. Most cameras in auto exposure mode tend to overexpose the background and underexpose the foreground. I found that the auto exposure on the 5DMKII was pretty close, but most times needed to go 1/3 to 2/3 underexposed on the exposure compensation. Going more that 1 stop up or down was way too much.

     

    I tried to overexpose with a white slate to then pull it back with EC in order to get a higher aperture, but every time the exposure was more that 2 stops off and was too much of a pain in the butt to attempt to dial in to be practical.

     

    I was getting apertures of 5.6 and 16. At 16, the ISO was getting a little high and I was getting banding in the water background. After I was done shooting and swimming in at the end of the dive I shot some kelp and got the lens to go to 2.8. Don't ask me how it got it to do that! The corners did look a little soft, especially at close focus. Still trying how to figure out how to get the planets to align and get a rhyme or reason for the F stop choices. I did notice (hope it wasn't a coincidence) that if I repeatedly hit the * button when the camera was pointed at the same lighting conditions that the camera cycled through different F stop and ISO choices for an equivalent exposure. Hopefully someone else can repeat this so I don't think I'm going crazy...

     

    I'm going to shoot the crap out of this thing in video mode at the Digital Shootout in June. Hopefully I'll have more tips and tricks then.

     

    Jim

  5. Hi Berkley

     

    Thanks for that excellent guideline. Pretty much the way I have figured it out as well.

     

    Just a question about the step of adjusting exposure compensation to dial in the background blue. Can you accurately see the right colour blue at depth like you can out of water? I mean if you have made the correction underwater to what looks good to your eye on the LCD, will that necessarily be correct?

     

    Also wondering what you think of doing the white balance in live view in the K scale adjustment?

     

    With respect to the battle of video exposure with 5D2, I think that starting with -2 Exposure compensation before pointing your camera at a bright source to try and force the smaller aperture will be a good thing. The reason for this is that most lenses seem to have a big f-stop jump, typically from 5.6 straight to 16 as the algorhytm tries to compensate for bright exposure ( I wrote about this in an earlier post ). So I think that f16 is going to be better than f5.6 ( at the expense of a higher ISO which seems quite forgiving) and therefore, once you have locked the exposure at f16 you will need to brighten the image considerably and having 4 stops of exposure compensation ( rather than just two ) may well be required.

     

    Would really appreciate any further tips and advice as the experience grows.

     

    Thanks

     

    Hi Andre,

     

    It was difficult to tell the exposure and white balance on the camera screen when I was shooting as the housing was on a tripod about 6 inches off the bottom with the lens pointed up (screen pointing down), with me in a drysuit unable to stand on my head without my feet rocketing to the surface! Even still the WB I did looked good on the camera screen only to get it on the computer and HDTV to see it was a little hot on the pink side. I think doing a WB with the K scale would have to be tested with different values to see which one works best for that particular shot.

     

    Jim

    Edited by JimDeck
  6. Lowlight at f1.4 is awesome... too bad it's useless underwater for UWA.

     

  7. It's gonna be hard for macro : )

     

     

    I tryed a video with the MP-E 65mm. mot of the video is between 1,5 and 2 : 1.

     

    Can watch in HQ :

     

     

    Shaking shaking :) I'm afraid it will be kind of the same underwater, but of course less because it will be less than 1:1.

     

     

    I'm intrested if anyone have an idea of a gunstock to make the housing less shaking by pressing it on our body (shoulder).

  8. You should always use a tripod or a rest for macro for video, esp closer to 1:1. That's the difference with a DSLR housing, the balance and inertia can be problematic for handling.

  9. Another topside short film with two 5DMKIIs. Featuring a very beautiful modell...

     

     

    iNSight

    Edited by Jules (Helioxfilm)
  10. Ah magyar nok! :) That server is really slow for the 720p version though.

  11. Ah magyar nok! :) That server is really slow for the 720p version though.

     

    Hm, your language skills are amazing - I cannot even just imagine your adventures in Hungary :)

     

     

    Just to add some more Canon movies:

     

    http://theeoscars.com/5dblog/

  12. Well I deny ever having been to Budapest during the F1. :)

  13. That is awesome Jules... really liked the Afghan one too Drew

  14. Well I deny ever having been to Budapest during the F1. :)

     

     

    Hm, I know everything, you don't need to say more :-)

     

    Good news: the new Canon firmware bring us manual aperture, shutter and ISO during shooting video:

     

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0905/09052701...kiifirmware.asp

    Edited by Jules (Helioxfilm)
  15. Very stable footage using a head mount of sorts , in the shadow it can be seen . Is he using a modified gimble or gyro of some sorts?

    Or just very good technique?

    Uinta Spring skiing

    Edited by emaltorio
  16. From what I've read from the topside video forums for this camera, one of the best methods of manipulating the output is to transcode it into an intermediate format using something like Cineform Neoscene http://cineform.com/neoscene/ which is available on a 7 day trial. That way your average hardware and software can actually do something with the high bitrate HD output. Apparently it also helps with the crushed blacks issue. It's a shame that Canon didn't provide this kind of software as free with the 5D2 package !

     

     

    The Cineform solution works great and you can get a good deal on it from the Video Guys web site at $100

     

    http://www.videoguys.com/Item/CineForm+Neo...3435F454E4.aspx

  17. From what I've read from the topside video forums for this camera, one of the best methods of manipulating the output is to transcode it into an intermediate format using something like Cineform Neoscene http://cineform.com/neoscene/ which is available on a 7 day trial. That way your average hardware and software can actually do something with the high bitrate HD output. Apparently it also helps with the crushed blacks issue. It's a shame that Canon didn't provide this kind of software as free with the 5D2 package !

     

    I shot some HD video in Rangiroa last week, downloaded and installed the trial of Neoscene, and had it convert to AVI, but Premiere Elements 7 didn't seem to be able to read it (and PE7 can't cope with the original 5D .MOV files - they're terribly "jumpy"). Should I try to have Neoscene convert to something other than AVI?

     

    I guess the peripheral question is whether PE7 is even capable of handling HD video from the 5D. Is there a better "cheap" editing program for Windows (I'm basically a still photo guy, so don't have - or want to buy - any expensive video editing software)?

    Edited by bmyates
  18. I shot some HD video in Rangiroa last week, downloaded and installed the trial of Neoscene, and had it convert to AVI, but Premiere Elements 7 didn't seem to be able to read it (and PE7 can't cope with the original 5D .MOV files - they're terribly "jumpy"). Should I try to have Neoscene convert to something other than AVI?

     

    I guess the peripheral question is whether PE7 is even capable of handling HD video from the 5D. Is there a better "cheap" editing program for Windows (I'm basically a still photo guy, so don't have - or want to buy - any expensive video editing software)?

     

    I've been using Sony Vegas Movie Studio which is pretty cheap, and seems to do a good job with the 5D files. I've tried with both the .mov files (which it preview at a slow frame-rate) and the neoscene generated .avis which preview more smoothly.

  19. When the newest firmware upgrade to the 5DII was about to be announced Canon arranged a conference call for their Explorers of Light. They explained the concept and asked for input from EOL who had shot a lot of 5DII video so far. Truthfully, I've been using the camera for stills, but haven't really dived into the video capability too much, so for the most part I just listened. But, several of the shooters have experimented extensively, and one, Bruce Dorn, has a nice, eclectic series of clips shot with different Canon lenses.

     

    See http://idcphotography.com/blog/blog/bruce-dorn, page down and click link for 5D2 video. Really, quite an impressive tool.

     

    On the same page is some of his work with a 600mm, pulling manual focus: http://video.idcphotography.com/gallery/82...7095_ff5sd-A-LB

    Edited by StephenFrink
  20. When the newest firmware upgrade to the 5DII was about to be announced Canon arranged a conference call for their Explorers of Light. They explained the concept and asked for input from EOL who had shot a lot of 5DII video so far. Truthfully, I've been using the camera for stills, but haven't really dived into the video capability too much, so for the most part I just listened. But, several of the shooters have experimented extensively, and one, Bruce Dorn, has a nice, eclectic series of clips shot with different Canon lenses.

     

    See http://idcphotography.com/blog/blog/bruce-dorn, page down and click link for 5D2 video. Really, quite an impressive tool.

     

    On the same page is some of his work with a 600mm, pulling manual focus: http://video.idcphotography.com/gallery/82...7095_ff5sd-A-LB

     

    Thats really interesting stuff. The iDC LCD viewfinder ( http://idcphotography.com/blog/bruce-dorn/...-lcd-viewfinder ) he used seems like a very handy gadget and will make shooting video a lot easier. Now we just need to modify it to fit onto the back of our housings for UW use!

     

    Just waiting for the firmware upgrade before tackling video with renewed enthusiasm!

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.