Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Pool Studio

Started by loftus ·

  • 36Posts
  • 36Replies

Read-only discussion

Pool Studio

36 posts
  1. Great Stuff, I Love it…….

     

     

    What are you using for your background?

     

     

     

    Thanks

     

    Mark

    Four king size sheets sewn together.

  2. Wow - love the set up and stunning results being produced.

  3. Hello Jeff!

     

    Very impressive photos. Congratulations! :)

    And thank's a lot for the setup-picture. It's not self-evident to shar this with others. :D

     

    But I have some more questions:

    Please, could you tell me, which kind of materials are you using for the background and how many/which kind of sync cord(s) for the studio strobes (which lengths do you recommend)?

     

    It would be great if you could share these informations too.

    Thanks a lot in advance!

     

    Best wishes from the beautiful Austria,

     

    Harald

    Edited by HShark
  4. Hi Harald,

    I use four king size sheets sewn together with a chain channel sewn into the bottom as well. I have 25ft Nikonos synch cord from camera to the out of pool Pocket Wizard.

  5. Hi Jeff!

     

    Thank you very much for your informations.

     

    Harald

  6. Thank you very much for showing and explaining the setup :P

     

    I do not think too white women look good although they "come out" very well against the black background. I would like to see latin or black women pictures (and maybe even with white and burnt background since you have a lot of strobe power there).

  7. Thank you very much for showing and explaining the setup :P

     

    I do not think too white women look good although they "come out" very well against the black background. I would like to see latin or black women pictures (and maybe even with white and burnt background since you have a lot of strobe power there).

     

    Send a few over from Las Palmas. :good:

    My next plan is to start working with some different backgrounds; also maybe find me some local Latinas, or girls with 'back'. :)

    Edited by loftus
  8. Women, Jeff women is what they like to be called these days. :-) Darker toned women look awesome underwater, but you may want to consider a lighter background.

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. Send a few over from Las Palmas. :good:

    My next plan is to start working with some different backgrounds; also maybe find me some local Latinas, or girls with 'back'. :)

     

    How many? :) They just keep asking me about the water temp in your pool and if you will let them drink mojitos in between sessions :P

  10. Send a few over from Las Palmas. :)

    My next plan is to start working with some different backgrounds; also maybe find me some local Latinas, or girls with 'back'. :)

     

    Hi Jeff

     

    I find this type of photography very interesting.

    Through all your experience which studio strobes or lights, and hardware would you suggest.

    What would you describe as a good all round setup ?

    As I suspect the setup cost is quite high , but it is more expensive to buy "wrong" from the start.

  11. I have Visatec Broncolor 1600 studio strobes but I really don't think it makes any difference; any good quality studio setup that allows the various attachments would be appropriate. You may want to look at some of the strobe setups that are designed for portability and use battery packs. Obviously the main issue with these setups is the issue of electricity near water, and it is key to use GFI circuit breakers, sand bags on the light stands set back from the pool edge etc, etc. On the other hand it is quite possible to use regular battery and underwater strobes as well; though you will usually have to rig them yourself to fit lightboxes etc. James has done this with great success. You will need a long strobe cord made up from your housing to the outside, and then everything can be fired with pocket wizard and slave setups. I have found that slave setups that depend on an underwater strobe to fire them are not completely reliable.

    I think the main advantage of studio strobes besides the ease of adding light modifiers is having high power with fast recycling. If and when I upgrade my lighting, recycling speed will be the main criteria. Unfortunately recycling speed at full power is inversely proportional to price.

  12. Fantastic shots, very very impressed.

    Out of curisotiy what is the interest / reason / motivation for in taking these ?

    Art's sake, Portfolio's, Commisions, fashion shoot ?

     

    Cheers,

    Richard B.

  13. Fantastic shots, very very impressed.

    Out of curisotiy what is the interest / reason / motivation for in taking these ?

    Art's sake, Portfolio's, Commisions, fashion shoot ?

     

    Cheers,

    Richard B.

    Thanks.

    All of the above to some degree, though commisions I'm still waiting for. (May have one in the works)

    The work of Howard Schatz was my initial inspiration for this. Of all the underwater studio and model photography I have seen, his work is technically streets ahead of anyone else.

    My goal is to achieve technical proficiency first, and then hopefully some art will follow.

    Edited by loftus
  14. Hi Loftus,

    nice pictures. How do you trigger with the UW-Flash the Studiostrobes?

    Please send me more pictures about your Pool Studio,

    Thx

    fokszy

  15. Just came across your post. Got to say, love your work. Am a huge fan, been trying some similar work myself lately.

  16. Beautiful as always,

     

    Thanks for sharing this and the set up pic Jeff

     

    Diggy

    Edited by diggy

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.