Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Lightroom 2.1 Release Candidate Available

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 36Posts
  • 36Replies

Read-only discussion

Lightroom 2.1 Release Candidate Available

36 posts
  1. Adobe labs has issued the next update to Lightroom so the first adopters can check it out. From their site;

     

    "The 'release candidate' label indicates that this update is well tested but would benefit from additional community testing before it is distributed automatically to all of our customers. The Lightroom team would like the community to help verify the quality of this update through normal usage as this will ensure that the application is tested on a diversity of hardware and software configurations not available internally at Adobe."

     

    Hopefully they fixed some issues for folks.

    Have fun!

    Steve

  2. Adobe labs has issued the next update to Lightroom so the first adopters can check it out. From their site;

     

    "The 'release candidate' label indicates that this update is well tested but would benefit from additional community testing before it is distributed automatically to all of our customers. The Lightroom team would like the community to help verify the quality of this update through normal usage as this will ensure that the application is tested on a diversity of hardware and software configurations not available internally at Adobe."

     

    Hopefully they fixed some issues for folks.

    Have fun!

    Steve

     

    Hi Steve :offtopic:

     

    Is this a Patch for folks who have already purchased 2.0? If so is there a download link?

     

    Gracias Steve!

     

    Greg

  3. Hi Greg,

    Yep the 2.1 version I noted is their 'release candidate' to upgrade 2.0. This label indicates that "this update is well tested but would benefit from additional community testing before it is distributed automatically". It's been out a while now and folks are finding it improves performance on most of the issues people have with 2.0. They list 31 bugs that have been fixed. There are still some performance problems with the new localized correction features, (adjustment brush & graduated filter). They haven't taken those on yet. Sorry I didn't make the link clear in the first post. It is the Adobe Labs line. I'll put it here again. The linked page describes the fixes they put in and how to get the download. I was a little concerned at first because you have to remove 2.0 before installing 2.1RC. A whole bunch of folks have installed it now at it seems to be OK. I haven't done it myself yet. I'll wait for the "official" version. Sadly for me, I don't have a whole bunch of new U/W images to play or I might have made the switch.

    Have fun!

    Steve

  4. Hi Greg,

    Yep the 2.1 version I noted is their 'release candidate' to upgrade 2.0. This label indicates that "this update is well tested but would benefit from additional community testing before it is distributed automatically". It's been out a while now and folks are finding it improves performance on most of the issues people have with 2.0. They list 31 bugs that have been fixed. There are still some performance problems with the new localized correction features, (adjustment brush & graduated filter). They haven't taken those on yet. Sorry I didn't make the link clear in the first post. It is the Adobe Labs line. I'll put it here again. The linked page describes the fixes they put in and how to get the download. I was a little concerned at first because you have to remove 2.0 before installing 2.1RC. A whole bunch of folks have installed it now at it seems to be OK. I haven't done it myself yet. I'll wait for the "official" version. Sadly for me, I don't have a whole bunch of new U/W images to play or I might have made the switch.

    Have fun!

    Steve

     

    Thanks Steve...

     

    I just went to the download and installed it. I didn't have to remove my original LR2. :offtopic:

  5. Sadly, it doesn't fix any of the bugs I raised in LR 1.4 and LR2 Beta that were still present in LR2, as well as some new ones I raised on LR2.

  6. I just went to the download and installed it. I didn't have to remove my original LR2. :offtopic:

    Thanks Greg, I was confused. The Adobe site says "By default, this Lightroom 2.1 release candidate will remove or overwrite your existing Lightroom 2.0 installation. If you wish to return to Lightroom 2.0 after installing Lightroom 2.1, simply reinstall Lightroom 2.0 from your original download file or from the CD"

     

    Let us know how it works out for you.

     

    Hey Andrew, if you feel like wading through some potential fixes This is the User to User forum page for Lightroom. The Adobe folks who understand the program hang out there and might be able to help.

    Steve

  7. to those that use LR2. Im currently have lr1.4 but havent played with it to much yet due to work keeping from working on a backload of 20K+ images to catalog and prep and such. would i benefit in upgrading to LR 2 or would it be best to stay with LR1.4 till the bugs are worked out.

     

    My normal workflow would have me working in CS doing all the corrections with doing the cataloging in bridge or portfolio8 (have a copy but only worked with it a little)

  8. Hi all

     

    I've been running 2.1 RC since it's release and it seems stable and to have sorted out some of the v2 problems. To be honest I had very few problems with v2 anyway!

     

    I've probably now doomed myself!

     

    Scubatooth-with 20k images to organise, there is no doubt Lightroom will help/ease your burden! This si exactly the kind of task that Lightroom does really well. For me the improved export options in v2/2.1 make it worth the upgrade fee.

     

    All the best

     

    Adam

  9. Adam

     

    Thank you for your opinion and experince

     

    yeah thats what i have been told since i have a volume of work that is or needs to be cataloged. That 20K is just the first batch of images that came back from bulk scanning, and i still have another 3000 rolls of film left to be done (20 years worth of shooting 35, 120, 220,etc). Then there are the other 60K digital images(mix of raw and jpeg) in my library that where proofed in bridge, before being editted in PS 7, CS-CS3 that most could probably use a second look at now that i have pretty much completed my color mangement system from start to finish.

     

    any others out there with reccomendations for weather to stay with 1.4 or go to 2. Then even beyond that is it worth the $$$ to upgrade to CS4?

     

    Dan

  10. Another factor that was mentioned a bit in Steve's original thread on LR 2.0 is machine capabilities. The folks that responded saw no diff with better machines. I recently upgraded from a pent 3.06/ 1 gb RAM/256mb Vid to a Quad pentium/4gb RAM/ 718mb Vid. With the old system, things were slow loading and I had a lot of freezing, and locking up. With the new system it's just lethal fast, and hasn't locked up yet. Just FYI from my experience. :)

     

    Greg

  11. any others out there with reccomendations for weather to stay with 1.4 or go to 2. Then even beyond that is it worth the $$$ to upgrade to CS4?

     

    Dan,

    As Adam said with those kind of numbers I'd recommend you get LR2.0 installed as fast as you can. I think you'll find that LR 2.0 will do 95% of the work you do in CS3 and it will do it in batches saving you a lot of time in front of the computer. Whether or not to upgrade to CS4 is a tougher call for me. It does look like they have improved the interface to LR and made it easier to switch back and forth. So if you do a fair amount of manipulation in Photoshop it might make good sense. I'm finding I love the LR user interface, it's much more intuitive to me than PS. If your upgrading from CS3 it looks like the price is $199. Not too bad, but I'm going to hold off for a while.

    At least we know now why LR 2.0 was released before it was ready. They had to make room for the CS4 release. :)

    Good luck!

    Steve

  12. Steve

     

    thanks for the info on LR2. I will be looking to upgrade to it in the coming weeks. yeah CS4 is a tougher call, but im gonna see how the reviews go. it sucks i just bought the package back in may and already a new version is released, so if i need to upgrade it this quick its not going to make me a happy camper.

     

    Speaking of the level of manipulation i do in PS I do. It really depends on the image some have been very simple affairs, and then some of the files were huge with having 150+ layers to them, but this was because of the level of retouching/rescuing needed on the image

     

    Then are there any books that you all recommend to help with the learning curve on LR.

     

    Dan

  13. Hey,

     

    In terms of lightrrom books try Lightroom the missing FAQ

     

    I have only recently discovered it!

     

    Lightroom is great for sorting, organising, rating and making "minor" adjustments. You can of course still edit in photoshop if you need to!

     

    It sounds to me like it is exactly what you need!

     

    Adam

  14. Then are there any books that you all recommend to help with the learning curve on LR.

    Dan,

    I haven't found the quintessential LR book yet. I'll have to check out Adam's recommendation. I have been using the great Adobe videos on the Adobe TV website to get a handle on the program. They just redesigned it so it's easier to find LR specific stuff. It's free and they're very good. Highly recommended.

    Have fun,

    Steve

  15. Then are there any books that you all recommend to help with the learning curve on LR.

     

     

    I'd suggest Scott Kelby's Lightroom for Photographers books. www.kelbytraining.com

     

    Hope this helps,

    Joel

  16. I just installed LR2.1 RC and I'm pretty disappointed. Even the most simplest bug hasn't been fixed.

     

    My OS is Windows XP. I normally switch between windows using Alt-Tab. If you do that with LR2 or LR2.1 RC it treats it as Tab and toggles the side panels. And if you use Alt-Shift-Tab (which should normally take you backwards through all the open windows) it toggles all the panels. This is a piss-poor effort by the "programmers" at Adobe.

     

    By the way, I raised this on LR2.

  17. I hate to say this, but LR2.0 is running nicely on my MacBook - after I decided to go with LR rather than Aperture after a certain amount of scoffing by WP brethren that I was being put off LR2.0 by the various comments on WP......

     

    I bought Martin Evening's book "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book" from Amazon and have found it well worth the money. I had used LR1.4 on my old PC laptop but hadn't got to grips with it in a big way. The book has really helped.

  18. I hate to say this, but LR2.0 is running nicely on my MacBook - after I decided to go with LR rather than Aperture after a certain amount of scoffing by WP brethren that I was being put off LR2.0 by the various comments on WP......

    LR2 runs fine for me too and I don't hate to say so. I have decided, though, to do all my conversions in Raw Developer. It currently lacks CA correction (though it's planned for a future release) but otherwise I love it. I will still import into Lightroom but the import will be a TIFF rather than a raw or DNG file.

  19. I'm not sure I really "hated" to say it either, Craig - I just thought I'd try to put a bit of sympathy in the direction of the LR sufferers....... :blink: I think its great!

  20. I have been running LR for my main workflow since February this year and love it as a single tool that lets me do everything I want. It does frustrate me in a number of areas, including a number of niggling bugs. I have upgraded to LR2.1 RC, and while that fixes some bugs, in introduced others.

     

    My biggest frustration, however, is the raw conversion, or more accurately, the default conversion. I am able to adjust my raw images using presets and other minor adjustments to get them looking the way I want, but by default I often have no idea how the image should look. I realised this quite early and shoot raw+JPEG so I can use the JPEG as a reference. I stack the images after import so that the JPEG is on top and do all my reviewing, etc. with the JPEG. Once I have selected the images to process, I unstack those images and work on the raw files.

     

    One annoying new bug in 2.1 relates to unstacking. With LR1.4, I unstacked using the "S" key in grid mode in the Library. This would keep the .JPG and .NEF selected so I could update the metadata for both. With LR2.1 RC, it doesn't so I now have to make an extra keystroke or so, to reselect both images.

     

    The other annoying bug I mentioned above where LR incorrectly interprets a standard Windows keystroke as if it was directed to LR. I have never seen another Windows application make that mistake.

     

    I have submitted bit bugs to Adobe. I have also put in a feature request to allow the embedded JPEG in a raw file to be displayed for review (which would mean I don't need to shoot the JPEG).

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.