Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wetpixel DEMA cocktail party 2008

Started by echeng ·

  • 49Posts
  • 49Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel DEMA cocktail party 2008

49 posts
  1. Got something going on early that night but may drop before the bar closes....

     

    :)

     

    Michel

    Edited by manatee19
  2. I've got an event starting the same time, but will try to stop by on the way.

  3. Can I come? Will you let a crusty old hack in, even if he only drinks soft drinks?

  4. John, Has long as you don't start a row on politics :blink:

  5. I'll be stopping by. I look forward to seeing some of your smiling faces again.

     

    Bonnie

  6. John, Has long as you don't start a row on politics :blink:

     

     

    Gosh, I learned my lesson there!!!

  7. Gosh, I learned my lesson there!!!

    I thought the politics discussion you started has been very civil John. Now see if you can repeat the discussion when folks are loaded up with a few drinks. :blink:

  8. I thought the politics discussion you started has been very civil John. Now see if you can repeat the discussion when folks are loaded up with a few drinks. :fool:

     

     

    Probably safer for John to do something like poke a stick into a hornet's nest, no? :blink:

  9. he could always show up dressed in drag and impersonate Palin..

  10. he could always show up dressed in drag and impersonate Palin..

     

     

    Not sure, Tina Fey has it down pretty well. But it is always worth a shot anyway.

  11. Not sure, Tina Fey has it down pretty well. But it is always worth a shot anyway.

     

    How about Thatcher?

  12. How about Thatcher?

     

     

    That could work since there will probably be less competition, though neither Thatcher nor Palin dress appropriately enoung.

     

    Hmmm, Maryilyn Monroe is a bit cliche so that would not work well.

     

    How about Cleopatra? Though also a bit cliche I believe the proper garb to convey that imitation properly raises it past the clicheisness (new word there) for these purposes.

  13. Hey guys. We have the location!

     

    Place: The Las Vegas Hilton, North Tower 8th Floor, Rooms 121 and 123

    Edited by echeng
  14. I was gutted that I could not make it. Luckily I was able to arrange for a look-a-like to go in my place, and apparently he made the most of the free bar...

     

    :)

     

    Alex

  15. We're trying to post more updates. We're all still feeling like zombies after getting the party shut down last night. :)

  16. Thank you Wetpixel for the free drink. I was hoping to meet some of you that have taught me so much here but I had to leave BEFORE THE BIG BOUNCER THREW YOU ALL OUT OF THE ROOM!

  17. There were a lot of cameras at that party but I have yet to see any of the incriminating pictures. Are we all protecting each other? Maybe I'm going to be sorry I asked. I left before the end because I didn't want anyone taking pictures of me getting hauled off in hand-cuffs. There were a few Wetpixel people I finally had the pleasure to meet and still a few more I missed in the crowd. Thank you Wetpixel for one of the best DEMA parties I've been to in a long time! Each year it gets better.

  18. WETPIXEL / DIVEPHOTOGUIDE COCKTAIL PARTY

    http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/dema-2008-w...cocktail-party/

     

    October 23, 2008 - 7:00 PM

     

    For the past few years, Wetpixel has been throwing happy hours at DEMA, which have been supported by some of our sponsors.

     

    This year's cocktail party was thrown in conjunction with DivePhotoGuide, and was sponsored by Amphibico, Aquatica, Backscatter, INON America, Reef Photo & Video, Marine Camera Distributors, and Worldwide Dive and Sail. THANK YOU, sponsors, for making the party possible!

     

    Last year, we held our party in a roped-off alcove at the host hotel in Orlando and had about a hundred people show up; it was pretty much the perfect place to throw a little happy hour. Las Vegas didn’t have an obvious place to throw such a party, so Jason Heller and I decided to rent a suite at the Hilton for the party. Being a destination event, we assumed that we would lose a good percentage of people to Las Vegas evening events, and planned for the arrival of about 40 people.

     

    We vastly underestimated.

     

    I don’t know how many people showed up, but it was well over 100. Virtually every company that provides equipment to the underwater photography and video industry showed up, along with dozens of photographers and videographers. As a bonus, Sea Shepherd arrived, heading directly to our party from the airport. More than once, I heard people say, “Is that Paul Watson? That is SO COOL.”

     

    I have to say that when I first walked into the room at 7pm, my first thoughts were ones of worry. “Whoah. This is, like… a hotel room.” The alcohol hadn’t even arrived yet, and there were already 20 people in the suite, just sort of standing around. The first two drink runs dried out within an hour, forcing Eli, Shawn and me (and Matt, Matt, and Adam) to run out to get more—a LOT more (man, you people drink a lot. :uwphotog:, and the room was so packed that it was hard to walk around. The air conditioning struggled to keep up with our collective body heat, and the heat forced some folks to flee.

     

    Most people seemed to get used to the ambiance after a few drinks, and seemed to genuinely enjoy the party. “It feels kind of like prom night,” said Jenny Collister.

     

    At about 9:30, hotel security arrived, and we sent Jason out into the hallway to negotiate. Since we had planned the party through Hilton events, we refused to shut it down, and over the next couple of hours, the hotel sent progressively larger and larger security personnel to “negotiate.” Finally, at around 11:30pm, a giant appeared, and I started turning off the lights in the room in an attempt to get people out the door.

     

    Thank you, everyone, for such a great evening! It’s not often that you get everyone in the industry together in a single suite. :P

    Edited by echeng
  19. Special thanks to ADAM LAU for taking all of these photos. I didn't even bring a camera. :uwphotog:

     

    alau081023_0011166.jpg

    Michaela Brockstedt of Wetpixel Quarterly, right, helps bartend at the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide cocktail party on Day 2 of DEMA 2008.

     

    alau081023_0011176.jpg

    Matt Segal makes a break from the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide party to grab dinner on Day 2 of DEMA 2008.

     

    alau081023_0011179.jpg

    Eric Cheng and the Sea Shepherd crew (Shannon, RJ, Kristine, Alex) at the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide cocktail party on Day 2 of DEMA 2008.

     

    alau081023_0011182.jpg

    Eli Woolery chats with Dan Baldocchi and Berkley White

     

    alau081023_0011185.jpg

    Packed house! We need a bigger venue.

     

    alau081023_0011186.jpg

    Wetpixel / DivePhotoGuide cocktail party -- packed

    Edited by echeng
  20. alau081023_0011189.jpg

    Mark and Mike (Worldwide Dive and Sail) and Kathy and Randy (NCUPS)

     

    alau081023_0011191.jpg

    Wetpixel / DivePhotoGuide cocktail party

     

    alau081023_0011195.jpg

    Eli Woolery of Wetpixel dials a beer at the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide cocktail party on Day 2 of DEMA 2008.

     

    alau081023_0011196.jpg

    Michaela hangs out with a friend

     

    alau081023_0011198.jpg

    Jason and Wendy Heller of DivePhotoGuide at the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide cocktail party on Day 2 of DEMA 2008.

     

    alau081023_0011201.jpg

    Jean (Aquatica), Eric (Wetpixel), John Bantin (Diver), Mike "Mini-Me" and Frank "I'm full of poo" (Worldwide Dive and Sail)

     

    alau081023_0011202.jpg

    Berkley White (Backscatter), Jeff and Juan Carlos of the Deep Blue, and Eric

     

    alau081023_0011208.jpg

    Scott Bennett of X-Ray Magazine and Matt Segal of Wetpixel at the Wetpixel/DivePhotoGuide cocktail party on Day 2 of DEMA 2008.

    Edited by echeng
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.