Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Manatee Snoozing HDR

Started by loftus ·

  • 29Posts
  • 29Replies

Read-only discussion

Manatee Snoozing HDR

29 posts
  1. ... I think it' just that the HDR process will amplify anything in the image that can degrade it.

    yep, but done carefully that might not be as bad as all the down-sides of the multi-image capture approach. just a thought.

  2. yep, but done carefully that might not be as bad as all the down-sides of the multi-image capture approach. just a thought.

    Just to beat this totally to death with a huge stick ;) , here's a version sort of what you suggest, blending the normal exposure with the 2 stop underexposed, using gradient masks etc.

    I think it's funny how my manatee now looks like a dead mule. :)

    post-5478-1228583051.jpg

    Edited by loftus
  3. Does that not look better to anyone else than the first version at the top of the page ?

     

    Crystal%20River2008-12-046319.jpg

    or

    post-5478-1228583051.jpg

     

    I think the second one which is from a single RAw image looks massively better, and I still think a more pleasing shot would come from trying to take a normal photograph.

  4. Came late to this discussion, but again, great results. Were you using the gorilla pod for these shots? I'm looking at the foreground and seeing significant motion artifact (log, sand, grass). I'm wondering how much of the "noise" is actually motion artifact.

    I am going to do some research to find out if there are any displays near me (or in the US) which can actually show a true HDR image. I would imagine that if seen on a true HDR display, these images (original pre-conversion HDR) would take on a whole new level of WOW.

    I remember the first time I saw a High definition TV playing a HD tape (I think it was a Panasonic at CES or NAB) I was blown away. Now it seems so run of the mill! I think the same will happen when I see my first HDR image in HDR. Has anyone seen an HDR image yet?

    Again, I think what is happening with the multiplied light rays is pretty cool.

  5. Came late to this discussion, but again, great results. Were you using the gorilla pod for these shots? I'm looking at the foreground and seeing significant motion artifact (log, sand, grass). I'm wondering how much of the "noise" is actually motion artifact.

    I am going to do some research to find out if there are any displays near me (or in the US) which can actually show a true HDR image. I would imagine that if seen on a true HDR display, these images (original pre-conversion HDR) would take on a whole new level of WOW.

    I remember the first time I saw a High definition TV playing a HD tape (I think it was a Panasonic at CES or NAB) I was blown away. Now it seems so run of the mill! I think the same will happen when I see my first HDR image in HDR. Has anyone seen an HDR image yet?

    Again, I think what is happening with the multiplied light rays is pretty cool.

    Hey Matthew,

    Two issues here which I think degrade the image. The first is the crud in the water in the foreground, and the second is the movement of the sun's rays over the sand due to water movement. I took these just with my housing down on the sand, no tripod. Each time I do this, I learn a little, so I will try again next time, depending on conditions.

    Yes, I definitely want to see one of those HDR displays!

  6. Yeah, guess I'll have to trash the Nikon and buy a new Canon. ;)

    Seriously though, I think it' just that the HDR process will amplify anything in the image that can degrade it.

    Hi guys ... I've been out of the country for a bit (unfortunately, not underwater) and have missed most of the discussion.

     

    Couple quick comments:

     

    ** Noise amplification can be an issue, but when it pops up in the final image at a level that is unacceptable, I start over. I go back and "overdo" the NR at the RAW conversion level. I find that even with "clean" ISO 200 images I often have to crank up the NR to keep the final image acceptable. Sometimes I crank it up waaaaaaay high to keep a sky clean.

     

    ** Practice make a big difference. There's a lot to learn here and I give Jeff huge credit for doing so in the light of a forum. I am thrilled with the quality of my topside HDRs but they didn't just pop out of the camera ... there was substantial field and lab trial and error before I started consistently getting good results. I would have never shown ANYONE the cr*p I was producing when I first started playing with the HDR technique.

     

    Personally, I'm hopeful that this technique will bear fruit underwater and can't wait to try.

  7. One more for Jeremy and Matthew. Technically the cleanest one of the lot.

    post-5478-1228703459.jpg

  8. One more for Jeremy and Matthew. Technically the cleanest one of the lot.

    Yes, much cleaner. Which lens were you using for these shots?

  9. Yes, much cleaner. Which lens were you using for these shots?

    All with 16mm Fisheye on D700.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.