Ive been a faithful Nikon person. Not cause I particularly like Nikon, but thats where I started, and got my lenses for. Ive always avoided the Nikon vs. Canon discussion as it never really mattered that much. But lately ive been wondering if Nikon is really able to keep up.
The main reason for this is Canon's EOS 5D Mark II. It's a 21mp SLR with 1080p video capabilities, priced at around $2500. For now, I dont think Nikon has anything even close to this. The D90 is a 12mp camera with 720p video, which is at least 1 generation behind the Canon imho. There is a rumored D400 coming, which supposedly is a D300 with 720p, maybe 1080p, and possibly 16mp. Still, it seems to be way behind Canon. Now Nikon has a D3x, its first 20+mp camera, but at a prohibitively expensive $8000.
I just dont see anything coming in Nikon's future that would not seriously disrupts its current camera lineup and be close to the EOS 5d Mark II in price/performance.
As im currently looking to replace my Nikon D2x (leaning towards D700), my brain keeps nagging me... what about the 5D Mark II. I really hate to replace everything I own, but it seems like Nikon is now terminally behind Canon. It's only saving grace could be better chip performance.
Anyone else going through this right now? ![]()