Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Nikon left behind?

Started by cor ·

  • 76Posts
  • 76Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon left behind?

76 posts
  1. You're ALL a bunch of amateurs. :lol: Why don't you go out and buy 50 megapixel Haselblads and Ultima Digital housings?

     

    Because they don't have a flash socket!

  2. Oh that's just weak Alex. :lol:

     

    Bantin 1 Rest of WP 0

    Edited by Drew
  3. Oh that's just weak Alex. :)

     

    Bantin 1 Rest of WP 0

     

    Disagree,

    No strobe = rank amateur. I have shot medium format underwater. I generally used f/11 with my Blads and one or two large size strobes to get decent results. I did try doing some available light as well, using 70mm Ektachrome 200 while snorkeling (back in the 80's).

    Tom :lol:

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  4. I didn't say I wasn't a rank amateur! The Diver Mag calendar (if you've seen what has become a puny 7 page production) is mostly pictures shot on the Fuji S2 Pro. I didn't tell anyone before because they might not have used the pics! See if you can spot the one or two pics shot on a massive 10mp D200 ! :lol:

    Edited by John Bantin
  5. I didn't say I wasn't a rank amateur! The Diver Mag calendar (if you've seen what has become a puny 7 page production) is mostly pictures shot on the Fuji S2 Pro. I didn't tell anyone before because they might not have used the pics! See if you can spot the one or two pics shot on a massive 10mp D200 ! :)

     

    Yeah not very impressive this year... No offence.. :lol:

     

    The BBC wildlife calendar is really nice though...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  6. I didn't say I wasn't a rank amateur! The Diver Mag calendar (if you've seen what has become a puny 7 page production) is mostly pictures shot on the Fuji S2 Pro. I didn't tell anyone before because they might not have used the pics! See if you can spot the one or two pics shot on a massive 10mp D200 ! :lol:

     

    It was amateurish not to include a strobe socket on the housing (I have not seen one and was going on Alex's post). This did not reflect on you! I wonder how they could have missed including at least two. Using medium format for just available light is just rather limiting.

     

    Your calendar is not available but Alaska Sea Grant is using one of my UW pix I shot with a D2X which they cropped a bit (made it less panoramic) in their 2009 calendar. I did not uprez before sending either. One no doubt can get a publishable result with the S2, as you have.

  7. Well the Leica S2 will be available soon... I wonder who will house that one. :lol:

  8. It should be said that the Ultima digital housings are fairly bespoke - so it would not be a problem to have a strobe socket fitted, I'd imagine.

     

    Alex

  9. It should be said that the Ultima digital housings are fairly bespoke - so it would not be a problem to have a strobe socket fitted, I'd imagine.

     

    Alex

     

     

    They might if they are following this thread! :lol:

    Tom

  10. Well the Leica S2 will be available soon... I wonder who will house that one. :)

     

     

    I suppose one of the European housing manufacturers will. Not much larger than a 35mm SLR from has been shown so should be easy to accommodate with a design not too different from existing models. Market, however, is likely to be very small. I wonder how the AF will stack up against C and N?

    Tom :lol:

  11. Well the Leica S2 will be available soon... I wonder who will house that one. :)

     

    They have some lens data up:

    http://www.s.leica-camera.com/summarit-s-1...-35-mm-asph-cs/

     

    This 35mm wide angle focuses to just 55cm - this will require using a diopter making over/under shots problematic. The MTF is very high for a wide angle lens but this may not be realized under water.

    Tom :lol:

  12. Doesn't the economic climate affect underwater photographers?

  13. It does. Ive heard plenty of dive operations that are seriously hurting due to cancellations. It could be that for some reasons it doesnt affect photographers as a subgroup of divers that are cancelling, but I really doubt that.

  14. Doesn't the economic climate affect underwater photographers?

     

     

    I have been mainly shooting salmon on my home turf! Noteworthy is that Alaska Airlines has finally added direct flights between Alaska and Hawaii (only a 6 hour flight from ANC to HNL), but I have not had a chance to try this yet. :lol:

    Tom

  15. Doesn't the economic climate affect underwater photographers?

     

    We've always been in a financial crisis. Now the rest of the world has caught up.

     

    /christian

  16. One no doubt can get a publishable result with the S2, as you have.

     

    of course. back along i had quite a few published images with an S2, even a front cover that was

    a landscape format cropped to a portrait. looked as clear as.

     

    around that time the only 24 MP cams were digi backs for medium format users, who wanted to blow

    an ad up to put it on the side of a building.

     

    one wonders who really needs a 24 MP cam anyway.

  17. one wonders who really needs a 24 MP cam anyway.

     

     

    A number on this board already have the Canon Ds3, others will be getting the 5D2, so there are a number looking for more MP. A bit more flexibility for cropping would be useful. From what I have seen on the Nikon D3X, it blows away what I have been getting with the D2X at the high ISO settings I am compelled to use for my UW photography; the D3 and D700 as well but without the generous crop ability.

    Tom :lol:

  18. A number on this board already have the Canon Ds3, others will be getting the 5D2, so there are a number looking for more MP.

     

    why?

     

    i think iso performance is relevant, but more MP not so. or at least i'm not convinced so. it all seems a little bit of a race to own the best cam.

     

     

    you want to beat my dead horse too??

     

    are they going to make anything that comes up like FP4...? i loved that stuff!!!!

    Edited by writepic
  19. why?

     

    i think iso performance is relevant, but more MP not so. or at least i'm not convinced so. it all seems a little bit of a race to own the best cam.

     

     

    you want to beat my dead horse too??

     

    are they going to make anything that comes up like FP4...? i loved that stuff!!!!

     

    Since I do a lot of remote control UWP with the camera in a fixed position, the best behavior shot in a series may not be the best composition. So I would like better crop ability. There is a fairly large leap between 12 and 24 MP. I could crop a modest amount and still end up with 12 MP. Others may have different reasons. For example, newer models may also have a newer generation of AF, battery, etc., so more MP may be a secondary consideration.

    Tom :lol:

  20. I agree - for underwater use - do you really need high ISO performance? I'd take 2x as many megapixels instead.

     

    Cheers

    James

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.