Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

NWS: Britney and Angelina move over!

Started by bmyates ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

NWS: Britney and Angelina move over!

22 posts
  1. Apparently, my "grinning" shark photo, which won the Oceans division of Nature's Best Photography contest, is quite a hit in the European newpapers/tabloids!

     

    It appeared in about a dozen of them last week (see attached)! I'm especially fond of the one where it is positioned next to the girl snorting coke...and the last one (in collage #2), a Polish paper, where it looks like the shark is (and even I am) leering at the naked girl! :D

     

    I'm not sure if this means I have finally "arrived"... :D

     

    Or if it's a sure sign that my 15 minutes of fame are just about over..... :D

     

    :)

    post-65-1231788443.jpg

    post-65-1231788463.jpg

    Edited by Drew
  2. This is hilarious Bruce. Gotta love all the headlines. I think you have made it now that you are no longer a photographer, but a 'snapper'.

  3. Apparently, my "grinning" shark photo, which is quite a hit in the European newpapers/tabloids!

     

    It appeared in about a dozen of them last week (see attached)! I'm especially fond of the one where it is positioned next to the girl snorting coke...and the last one (in collage #2), a Polish paper, where it looks like the shark is (and even I am) leering at the naked girl! :D

     

    I'm not sure if this means I have finally "arrived"... :D

     

    Or if it's a sure sign that my 15 minutes of fame are just about over..... :D

     

    :)

     

    Considering how Bradjolina react to paparrazi, I would take great care next time in the water with your subject ;)

     

    Congrats that is great and your 15 minutes are just starting (I think that rule went out the window in light of many whose 15 Minutes should have been up long ago :) )

  4. That's great Bruce! Leave it to our Polish friends to put things in a different perspective. :D

     

    Nice hat by the way, :D

    Steve

  5. Congrats Bruce :D

    I'm sure You'r 15 min. will be much longer - just keep some interesting images coming :D

    Scubamoose

  6. great stuff

  7. Congrats Bruce. NBP sure did use your photo for promoting the competition. Think of the market you just broke into... coke fiends, adult entertainment.

  8. Excellent stuff,it is a fantastic picture. I just hope you got paid for all of those!!! I like the way that in most papers your shot is opposite either reports of drugs and alcohol abuse and / or naked women :D Congrats mate

  9. Excellent. I missed this yesterday because of the title!

     

    Alex

  10. Cool! Wish my Ocean Views shots could have gotten that kind of exposure. :D

     

    Cheers

     

    Todd

  11. Great stuff. Congrats.

  12. Think of the market you just broke into... coke fiends, adult entertainment.

     

    Yes, this should definitely class up my image as a serious photographer...at least in those circles! :D

     

    And yes, I'll get paid a little for all this tabloid notoriety (perhaps $1,000 when all is said and done). That's not much, but it will go to the charity I'm supporting with all of my photography profits - the Int'l Children's Surgical Foundation - and is enough to pay for life-changing surgeries for three or four children, so in that context (i.e., for those children), it's all the money in the world. My goal is still to totally fund one of their medical teams to go to the Manado/Lembeh area (that'll take around $20K), but in the meantime, this should and least help a little.

  13. And yes, I'll get paid a little for all this tabloid notoriety (perhaps $1,000 when all is said and done). That's not much, but it will go to the charity I'm supporting with all of my photography profits - the Int'l Children's Surgical Foundation - and is enough to pay for life-changing surgeries for three or four children, so in that context (i.e., for those children), it's all the money in the world.

     

    That is really beyond words, all I can say is well done.

  14. That is really beyond words, all I can say is well done.

    For real - that's great stuff!

  15. And yes, I'll get paid a little for all this tabloid notoriety (perhaps $1,000 when all is said and done). That's not much, but it will go to the charity I'm supporting with all of my photography profits - the Int'l Children's Surgical Foundation - and is enough to pay for life-changing surgeries for three or four children, so in that context (i.e., for those children), it's all the money in the world.

     

    In this case I hope You'll get a LOT of profit! :D

    Respect!

     

    Scubamoose

  16. And yes, I'll get paid a little for all this tabloid notoriety (perhaps $1,000 when all is said and done). That's not much, but it will go to the charity I'm supporting with all of my photography profits - the Int'l Children's Surgical Foundation - and is enough to pay for life-changing surgeries for three or four children, so in that context (i.e., for those children), it's all the money in the world. My goal is still to totally fund one of their medical teams to go to the Manado/Lembeh area (that'll take around $20K), but in the meantime, this should and least help a little.

    I was gonna ask if Nature's Best released that photo for the promotion of the contest or did you get paid for all that? Don't they assumed rights for publication with anything to do with the competition?

    Great to hear about the charity. Next time they have a donation drive... post it in the General Chat forum. I'm sure many who have benefitted from enjoying North Sulawesi will help out with what they can. If I may ask, is there anything in particular you want the team out there for? Which area? There may be NGOs in Indo that can help. PM me if you need more info.

    Edited by Drew
  17. I was gonna ask if Nature's Best released that photo for the promotion of the contest or did you get paid for all that? Don't they assumed rights for publication with anything to do with the competition?

    Great to hear about the charity. Next time they have a donation drive... post it in the General Chat forum. I'm sure many who have benefitted from enjoying North Sulawesi will help out with what they can. If I may ask, is there anything in particular you want the team out there for? Which area? There may be NGOs in Indo that can help. PM me if you need more info.

     

    Actually, Nature's Best and the Smithsonian only retain unlimited rights to use the photo, e.g., to promote the contest and exhibition. The photographer retains all other rights, and I had a publicity firm in the U.K. inquire about distributing it, so I said "sure." Actually, it HAS indirectly promoted Nature's Best; Steve Freligh (CEO) e-mailed me and said he had gotten several calls from journalists in Europe who saw the photo and read about the competition, and wanted to do articles about it as a result.

     

    As for the charity, I would love to fund one of their medical missions to the N. Sulawesi because I've had wonderful diving experiences there and the locals have been wonderful, and I just thought it would be a way of "giving back" (as cliche' as that sounds) a little to the community on behalf of divers. I actually met with some town officials in Mandado when I was there earlier this year, and hooked them up with the head of ICSF, so it is now a matter of working through the bureaucracy (which is considerable in Indnesia!)...if you have any contacts you can PM me, by all means do!

  18. Bruce, you inspire me with not only your photos, but by who you are. Thank you!!!

     

    Phil

    Edited by philsokol
  19. Congratulations. It was published in a Swedish tabloid as well!

     

    cheers

  20. As well as being an excellent image, it's a positive spin for sharks as well. Good work fella!

    Edited by Simon Rogerson

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.